Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Couple of GSX-R 750 maintenance questions...

Lifer

I told my brother I'd help him with his 4000 mile service to try and save him some money.

He read the checklist to me, but I haven't seen the manuals, sounds like nothing dramatic and probably some stuff the dealership probably doesn't do.

Questions:

1) It's a 2007, 4,000 miles, Iridium plugs AFAIK, running perfectly... manual says to pull and inspect the spark plugs... is this necessary? I would think no.

2) How bad is it to change the oil on this bike without a rearstand? Impossible? Easy? My stands won't fit since I have a SSA.

3) It says to inspect the air filter.. this I would see as easy.. but also questionable as to whether it's necessary?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

With two of you there it should be pretty easy to hold the bike straight up to change the oil. I would pull the plugs to make sure there isn't anything drastically wrong with the engine. Inspecting the filter will let you know if there is oil (or something else) blowing up into the housing. Hope this helps.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Change oil ride again. Done. forget all the other bs.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Change the oil and at least check the plugs.

Ride More Worry Less.

1) I just changed the oil, lubed/adjust chain, and checked for loose bolts. In other words, not necessary in my opinion.

2) I've never changed it on the side stand but I wouldn't imagine it would make it all that much harder. The oil filter is located on the left side so it will probably pour all over the header. Put some aluminum foil over it to solve this or just wipe it up and let it burn off.

3) I'd say probably not necessary unless he lives/rides on really dusty roads.

I have a manual in .pdf if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by benVFR View Post
    2) How bad is it to change the oil on this bike without a rearstand? Impossible? Easy? My stands won't fit since I have a SSA.
    Easy?

If it's the same as my 600 the drain plug is next to the kickstand. Why would the bike need to be straightened up on a stand when the plug is already at the lowest point of the motor?

After it drains just stand the bike up and over the other side a little, then put back on kickstand. Any oil left in there will come out. I never get any at that point though, I think it all drains fine with bike just parked (I've only done it 3 times though).

2007 GSX-R600
    1997 ZX-9R (sold)
    1979 RD400F Daytona Special (sold - i know, i know)
    Had at one point or another for off-road: KX125, Four-trax 250R, 250 3wheeler, XR250, XR400

I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe it's oil and filter after break-in then just oil the second time which would probably be ~4K miles.

Wouldn't hurt to inspect the air filter for sand, dust, bugs, etc.

Leave the plugs alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese-GSXR View Post
    I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe it's oil and filter after break-in then just oil the second time which would probably be ~4K miles.

Wouldn't hurt to inspect the air filter for sand, dust, bugs, etc.

Leave the plugs alone.
    I have the manual in front of me, the scheduled maintenance checklist has WAY more stuff to inspect than what you mentioned. Notice I said inspect, not change.

Haven't got to 4000m yet, but after break-in I did the inspections listed (minus the EXCVA/SET as I had removed that) and found a couple fasteners on the header needed tightening (not loose but not at spec'd torque either), my throttle play was like 6mm (wtf), and one of the mounting bolts for the cat was actually very loose (washer was jangling around between bolt head and threaded mount).

So I think it's worth checking what they tell you to check. How are you gonna know for sure unless you actually look?

As far as oil:

- I changed the dealer oil+filter at 50 miles - there was a good amount of metal shavings/filings on the magnetic drain plug.

- I changed THAT oil+filter at break-in service ~500 miles - still metal on drain plug.

- I changed oil+filter again at 2000m - this time drain plug is looking clean.

Just FYI.

2007 GSX-R600
    1997 ZX-9R (sold)
    1979 RD400F Daytona Special (sold - i know, i know)
    Had at one point or another for off-road: KX125, Four-trax 250R, 250 3wheeler, XR250, XR400