Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Current draw for GPS?

Current draw for GPS?

I just wired a Tomtom 130 GPS unit onto the SV. I used the second heated vest outlet to connect the charger, so it's not switched. Does anyone have some idea of the current draw of a GPS in both the standby and on modes? My guess is this is going to be milliamps.

Adam

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

Re: Current draw for GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by taxonomy View Post
    I just wired a Tomtom 130 GPS unit onto the SV. I used the second heated vest outlet to connect the charger, so it's not switched. Does anyone have some idea of the current draw of a GPS in both the standby and on modes? My guess is this is going to be milliamps.

Adam
    I don't have any numbers but it's power draw will be neglidgeable compared to the vest.

Are you looking to see how long you can leave it plugged in before it kills the bike's battery?

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    I don't have any numbers but it's power draw will be neglidgeable compared to the vest.

Are you looking to see how long you can leave it plugged in before it kills the bike's battery?

Yeah, pretty much. I don't have it wired in switched. I can't imagine it's drawing much, especially when powered down. Tomtom does not give these numbers anyplace I can find.

Powered down it must be mA, but does anyone have any idea about this? Can I leave it plugged in to the battery for, say, a week?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by taxonomy View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. I don't have it wired in switched. I can't imagine it's drawing much, especially when powered down. Tomtom does not give these numbers anyplace I can find.

Powered down it must be mA, but does anyone have any idea about this? Can I leave it plugged in to the battery for, say, a week?

Adam
    my garmins powered down draw nothing. i don't have a tomtom to check.

most volt meters can check amps, if you have one hook it up inline and check the mA with it off. or leave it hooked up for a day and check your battery's voltage before and after.

jim

"Molon labe"

I don't know where my multimeter is. Just moved a bunch of stuff around and I am leaving for the SS1K Saturday AM. Bikes are impounded Friday. I think it should be fine.

If I am going to leave the bike for a long time I can always unplug the unit.

I like it a lot. Pretty slick for $150.

A

Quote Originally Posted by 04ZRX View Post
    My Garmin draws 500 milliamps. That means your 8 amp battery will last for 16 hours before it is depleted.

So, you are good for about 10 hours before you won't be able to start your bike. Or kill your battery beyond the point of re-charging it to a full 100%
    if you take out 5ah's from a 8ah (non deep cycle battery) your battery will be around 40% and i don't think it would start the bike.

starting batteries aren't usually very happy with prolonged amp draws.

if your 8ah battery was 100% around 12.6v depending on the battery 16 hrs @ .5a would give you 0v and a junk battery.

as a general rule on deep cycle batteries you want to last, you don't discharge them past 80% and 90% is even better.

so on a starting battery thats rated at 8ah removing 1.6ah's or your .5a draw for 3hrs shouldn't hurt the battery and hopefully still start the bike.

btw: when my bikes are sitting i want no draw on them and usually have a fully auto battery charger on them.

jim

"Molon labe"