Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Debate on 500 mile checkup. Dealer vs Self

Debate on 500 mile checkup. Dealer vs Self

So some of you might know I bought myself a second motorcycle. I was riding with a buddy over the weekend (who's been riding for 20-30 years and owns 15 bikes roughly) and asked if I scheduled my 500 mile checkup with the dealer that I bought my new bike from. I told him no I was planning on doing it myself. He said no you should do it through them because if you ever need to make a warranty claim, they will give you shit about it if you don't bring it in for the 500 mile checkup.

Now when I bought my other bike back in 2006 it came with a deal that the 500 mile checkup was free so I simply brought it back to them and had them do it so it wasn't an issue back then. With my new bike, they didn't say a single thing about bringing it back for the 500 mile checkup. So I'm under the impression that since they didn't say a single thing about it, it's not "needed". Also the 500 mile checkup is not free this time around. I don't feel like paying the dealer 75-85 bucks an hour for them to simply change the freaking oil and check the fluids. I can do that crap freaking blindfolded. What is everyone's opinion on here?

Those of you wondering what I got, 2012 Kawasaki Z1000. I decided to go the Naked Streetfigther style!!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Billy; 04-11-12 at 12:04 PM.

Re: Debate on 500 mile checkup. Dealer vs Self

On both bikes I purchased new, only myself or Tricky Mike has even touched them after they left the dealership.

They've only needed routine maintenance so I've never had a warranty issue to deal with.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The warranty cannot be voided in your case. Just keep a record of the date and mileage the checks were performed.

That is one sexy bike you have there Billy. Love the burnt orange. I don't blame you for not wanting to bring it to the dealer. Just do check up yourself and save some money that can then be used for gassing up both bikes.

Shannon

I've always planned on doing it myself but then when my buddy made that comment it kind of got me thinking, just wanted other opinions to confirm. Going to stick to the original plan. Yea Dip the burnt candy orange is an awesome color, that's the most common compliment I receive about the bike.

Wirelessly posted

From what I understand your best bet is to have a dealer do it because they "check" everything, nuts and bolts Etc..... If I were worried about warranty I'd pay the $80 for the first service and call it a day.

Corey

Lifer

Perhaps a silly question but did you receive any kind of paperwork regarding the terms and conditions of the warranty? I'd consult that. Now there's whats on the paper and what actually happens in real life. It might require you to come in, but is rarely enforced. That would put you at their mercy though.

nedirtriders.com

^ if manufacturers warranty, they can not require you to take it anywhere for service. Utilizing the dealer can certainly grease the skids if a warranty claim does come up though. Especially if it's a questionable good will type repair.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Never had my bikes serviced by a dealer other than warranty work. Past service intervals were never questioned.

The dealer doesn't check anything, and the service tech's at the vast majority of dealerships don't know what they're doing.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Billy - You may want to read this and also read more about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. (I could not remember the name of it when I posted earlier)

I live by an old saying, "If you want it done right, do it yourself". As long as you know how to do it!

Lifer

I've only ever bought one bike new. I had the 500 mile service done on schedule, by the dealer that I bought from. In retrospect I wish I'd found someone new. That was the first of many bad experiences I had with them.

On the flip-side, I wasn't equipped or knowledgeable enough to DIY it.

They told me they charged me less than the going rate because the bike was brand new and "none of the fasteners were rusted yet".

The biggie, IMO, is knowing which fasteners to check the torque on and knowing what torque values they are supposed to be at. The rest is typically just a LOF, per my read of the service manual.

I had them do my bike, but it was my first bike. I wouldn't do it again, waste of money. They "say" they go over and check all the fasteners, but essentially it's an overpriced oil change.

Off topic a bit, but just a heads up Billy. Winter appears to now be officially over.......... no need to keep hanging the snow shovel on the tail of your bike, I think its safe to store if for a few months.

Nice looking bike bro

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Double check that its only oil change ,and checking bolts, keep good records , iffor nothing else , resale value. Just make sure it isn't a model or special yr that had some odd recall on a valve or fastener of some sort.
    My buddy just bought a leftover 2011 gsxr750 , he had 2 payment options , within $15.00 month over the course of the loan , higher of the 2 included service for 3 yrs , exeption on tires and brakes.(pittsburgh)

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Yeah if I didnt have to take my s1k in for the limiter removal at 600 miles I wouldn't. Christ I already changed the oil/filter at 250 miles.

Last edited by cnano8; 04-12-12 at 02:40 AM.