Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Dilemma

Dilemma

The hex bolt holding the fairing to my 97 gixxer6 is stripped... what now? I need to get that fairing off. thanks, chris

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Everybody to the limit!

Dilemma

If it's not torqued down very hard you can slot it with a file and use a flathead screwdriver.

If you need to torque it and can get to the sides of the bolt, you can flatten out two sides, again with a file, and get a good pair of vise grips or a open ended wrench on. Sometimes you can just get the pliers on without even filing it.

If it's a really big bolt you can drill out the center and use an ez-out (reverse threaded bolt remover) but if it's just a fairing bolt you probably don't need to go this far.

Oh yeah, every now and again I get lucky and can fish a stripped hex out with an appropriately sized torx bit. There's gotta be a bit of meat left in the hole for that to work left though...

Last edited by Honclfibr; 06-23-04 at 02:44 PM.

Dilemma

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    If it's not torqued down very hard you can slot it with a file and use a flathead screwdriver.

If you need to torque it and can get to the sides of the bolt, you can flatten out two sides, again with a file, and get a good pair of vise grips or a open ended wrench on. Sometimes you can just get the pliers on without even filing it.

If it's a really big bolt you can drill out the center and use an ez-out (reverse threaded bolt remover) but if it's just a fairing bolt you probably don't need to go this far.

Oh yeah, every now and again I get lucky and can fish a stripped hex out with an appropriately sized torx bit. There's gotta be a bit of meat left in the hole for that to work left though...
    also while turning it try to put some pressure on the bolt by either wedging somehting in there(careful not to scrath anything) and/or pulling on the piece while trying to get it out...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Dilemma

I'll give it a try, now... anyone know where i can get some replacement bolts.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Dilemma

Decent hardware store will have a nice selection of metric fasteners.

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Dilemma

if you're looking for exact replacements, I'd try here:

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Lifer

Dilemma

Is the hex of the bolt stripped, or are the threads of the bolt stripped?

If the hex is stripped I have had good luck either using a dremel tool with a cut off wheel to grind a slot into it for a straight screwdriver. If you can get at it from the back put some vice grips on the other end of the bolt and try to back it out.

If the threads are stripped and it is just turning in the nut use an old credit card or something else thin and rigid that won't scratch the body work to apply upward pressure while you tun the bolt.

Either way, once you get them out take the remains of them to an autoparts store or bike shop to get replacements.

Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Dilemma

gracias amigos, i gotta find me one of those dremels now.

Lifer

Dilemma

Be very careful with it. This is one of the few tools I actively seek out safety glasses before even plugging in. Also move slowly and controlled. It will try to jump off the bolt and dive into the fairing if you let it. Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Dilemma

ah good point, thanks.

Dilemma

Well spent the entire day working with tis mothefrucking got damn son ob a bitch piece of shit!!!!!!!!!! Went through a pck of cigarettes now I have an eye twitch enough to make me blind!@ Got so pissed off threw the flathead hard as I could off a dumpster ricocheted back at the bike and tore a hole in the seat, I now need somethiong to kill or blow up, and fuck it im breaking the tab to remove the bolt and buying a whole new fairing.

Everybody to the limit!

Dilemma

What have you tried so far?

If you heat up the bolt with a torch it will come out easy, however that is not really recommended near plastic since it will definitely melt.

Have you tried flattening the sides of the bolt so you can get pliers on it? Or is it a flushmount bolt?

Take pictures, I'm sure you can get it off without breaking the plastic if you use the right method.

Dilemma

Well my frustration got the better of me and I broke the tab filed each side down (of the hexbolt) then plyer'd er off. The I took a torch and a clamp and got the tab back together (good enough to work) thanks for the ideas y'all.

Dilemma

Drill the head of the bolt off. Then use a vise grip to turn the remainder of the screw out. Again go slowly or the drill may "walk" on you.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000