Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody want to open a DIY motorcycle work space?

Lightbulb Anybody want to open a DIY motorcycle work space?

I don't have the capital or spare time, and absolutely no business savvy, but in case anyone out there does, have you ever considered opening up a do-it-yourself motorcycle work space? I'll be your first customer when you open.

This thread over in the "For Sale" section got me thinking about starting this thread.

I learned how to wrench at a DIY shop in San Francisco (Welcome to Moto Guild | Moto Guild is equal parts workspace and learning hub. Our 8, square-foot warehouse is accessible, collaborative & affordable for all motorcycle and scooter enthusiasts.), where they provided everything I ever needed (including lifts, and even tire change machines, which I learned how to use). Because of that, I have very few tools - I never needed my own beyond the basic stuff. Now that I live in Boston I'm wondering what I'm going to do when I want/need to work on my bike. I could go out and buy a bunch of tools, but I don't have a good space for working on the bike (after winter the bike will be outside under a covered patio, with a dirt/gravel floor). I have no room for a lift either, let alone a tire changing machine

I know the people behind Moto Guild and they'd be willing to work with someone out here to open one up.

Just thought I'd put it out there in case someone likes the idea.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Anybody want to open a DIY motorcycle work space?

while DIY might be sustainable idea in SF it's not likely to work here in the real world because of limited amount of potential customers: less people ride to begin with, riding season half as long and almost everyone has a garage or friend with a garage while in SF garage spot costs as much as my whole house here in Providence.

I have a large space that I share with few likeminded individuals, it works as a shared space with people I know and trust, but as a business I can't imagine it ever working out, not around here...

Lifer

I tried to start this up a few years ago by myself. The insurance was crazy but could be over come. The real issues as I saw it was I needed it to be staffed and had to have a large investment in quality tools. In the end I bailed on it because I didn't think it was sustainable where I am. You really need to be in NYC or someplace like that where space is at a premium. I ended up renting a storage unit in my town that lets me live in it if I really wanted to. I basically ran my motorcycle flipping business out of it. No one ever bothered me and it was only $110 a month. My storage neighbor runs a vintage snowmobile repair shop out of it and my other storage neighbor lived out of it most of the year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It would have to be a labor of love

Back in the day their was started MC clubs who worked and got a club house , usually with bar, lounge, and a work space as a town hang out

Doubtfull but on the north side of Boston perhaps

DIY for bikes, quads, snow machines, side by sides and jet skis almost an all season deal

POWERSPORT DIY

However in the Northeast these are all toys, usually owned by above average income so they have a garage and tools

It would need a papa smurf to help with the jobs

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

The guys "Click & Clack the Tappet Brothers" started Good News Garage as a DIY place. They said they spent hours after closing time helping people way over their heads, so it didn't work. The Army had spaces like this with very experienced mechanics on staff and it was great, but that wasn't a for-profit facility.

BMW, V-Strom and others have hosted "Tech Days" to perform maintenance and KLR owners regularly banded together for Doohickey upgrades. Again, volunteer.

I looked into the DIY garage a couple years back. Between the cost for multiple bay garage, lifts, tools (that would most likely have a revolving door from the Snap-On truck to your garage to your clients' trunk), and the gawd awful liability insurance, it would be truly hard to be profitable.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

The place below is near my house, not sure if there are similar shops near Boston. Maybe the ticket is to offer a single powersports bay inside one of these car shops. The motorcycle club option still seems viable too, maybe not the whole clubhouse deal but at least a shared rented shop space.

Gearhead Systems International – DIY Auto Repair Center 41-739-9

I've thought about it a bunch. If I did it, I would offer a compressed air source but would not offer tools. I think that'd save a lot of headache..

I would agree with Dmitry... in the Bay area or Southern Cali this makes sense, more riders because the season is all year and garage space is a huge premium, but around here I don't see it working long term.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Redistribution Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    I would agree with Dmitry... in the Bay area or Southern Cali this makes sense, more riders because the season is all year and garage space is a huge premium, but around here I don't see it working long term.
    Why does everyone keep saying garage space is a premium in CA ?

It's only in NE(that I have lived) where they build houses without a garage,which makes no sense to me given the weather here.

Every place I lived in CA had a garage,from apartments to houses.I'm not saying every single place in CA has a garage,but the vast majority do..Go down 19th ave in SF,every single place there has a garage,also from Sunset to the Mission district.I would imagine the reason why the DIY garage can stay in business is the amount of riders all year long in CA and of tools provided,not lack of workspace.I can remember once place that did this and I thought of joining just to change tires and maybe get help from more experienced people that went there,pretty sure is was too expensive and it ended up closing not long after it opened. ..I think it was in San Mateo.

Last edited by FalArAk; 02-08-16 at 12:58 PM.

Part of the reason those garages are so attractive to car guys is that they have lifts. Car lifts are a lot more helpful than a motorcycle lift, so you'd get guys willing to pay $20/hr to use one of those things with nothing else. I wouldn't pay $20/hr to use a motorcycle lift, though.

On the flip side, one thing a DIY-style moto garage could offer is storage -- bikes aren't that big. Security is a concern, obviously, but DIY-style car garages never seem to offer car storage.

Storage would be the key.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Storage would be the key.
    And I think the key to storage is security. You would need a way to isolate bikes so that one member can't screw with another member's stored bike/tools/gear.

yeah, and I feel like my 10/12mm sockets have legs as it is...

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Have had this idea on the back burner for quite a few years now. Fundamental problem lies in the golden rule of any business, location.

To work, it has to be near or IN the city and accessible easily by the T. This is the only way you attract city living folk, they'll need to drop a bike off and get home easily and visa versa.

Unfortunately space anywhere near the city or T has skyrocketed in price. You could try and get a large enough space to cover it with storage, but the bigger you go the more overhead you have. It is not a very scale-able business model to start small.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Have had this idea on the back burner for quite a few years now. Fundamental problem lies in the golden rule of any business, location.

To work, it has to be near or IN the city and accessible easily by the T. This is the only way you attract city living folk, they'll need to drop a bike off and get home easily and visa versa.

Unfortunately space anywhere near the city or T has skyrocketed in price. You could try and get a large enough space to cover it with storage, but the bigger you go the more overhead you have. It is not a very scale-able business model to start small.
    Frankly I'm just waiting for your roommate to move out so I can move in...

Lifer

Hingham Toy Storage

No DIY, but 24/7 storage access to a container might be a start.

Thanks for all the replies... guess lots of people have thought of it before, but I understand why it may not work here. I'll probably start getting some tools, maybe start being friendly with neighbors with garages

These guys seen to be making it work in New York:
    Home

Scottie is right, though. It needs to be in the middle of Boston and property is so expensive to buy or rent there.

Side note, I noticed in the beach towns in cali, the garages were turned into apartments.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

+1 that would be happy to shell out $150 dollars a month for a membership to one of these places in boston.

Quote Originally Posted by vinicio View Post
    Thanks for all the replies... guess lots of people have thought of it before, but I understand why it may not work here. I'll probably start getting some tools, maybe start being friendly with neighbors with garages
    Where you live in Boston?

a zillion years ago when I lived in VT, in South Burlington, there was a place called "The Autofix" it was a 80x200 building with large overhead doors on the gable ends, you could rent a bay for $1.50/hr( this was the 'early 70s) that included used of hand tools that you had to sign out, a set of jack stands and a floor jack, specialty tools, air tools and power tools were extra charge, they had a tire changer, but and employee had to operate it (no additional charge to mount tires on wheels) there was also a daily, weekly and monthly rate, where were a couple independent mechanics that used this as their work space

they had an elaborate release of liability contract that you needed to sign, if tools signed out didn't get returned, you paid for them, you couldn't leave with your vehicle till you paid

they were real busy in winter, but in summer, not so much as a majority of the work there was simple oil changes that you can easily do in a driveway

the place ran real well for 2-3 years with the original owner, he sold and it went downhill quickly, poorly run, using too much space for personal projects, etc

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

not all places in socal have garages!!!

residential peeps really like garages too

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bonham123 View Post
    +1 that would be happy to shell out $150 dollars a month for a membership to one of these places in boston.
    If you can find ~25 friends in the same boat and willing to agree on a location, get back to me

CCS/LRRS #83

Don't the Lo Riderz have a shop space? Or is that commercial?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast