Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ducati Maintenance/reliability questions

Re: Ducati Maintenance/reliability questions

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post

PS: Kyle, Miles, Leslie and everyone else that I can't remember their names at BCM = good shit.
    Fixed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

Honda = the 6/10 gf.

Duc = the 9/10 gf.

They have different needs but both are satisfying in their own special way.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Jack at xtreme moto design in wakefield has some horror stories about some newer ducatis. You can e-mail him @xtrememotodesigns.net and get his thoughts on Ducatis. He is the owner/mechanic.

I've had two Ducatis (and an Aprilia), so I have a little bit of Italian ownership experience to share. My previous bike was a 748SPS with a 955cc motor (built by Vee Two Engineering, an Australian company as that's where I was living at the time) and needed very little outside of the regular, not-particularly-inexpensive maintenance.

My current bike, a 1995 900SS/CR, has been a little more temperamental. Things that have gone wrong: melted headlight connector ($10 to fix), flat rear tire (could happen on any bike), blown ignition coil ($150 used to fix), snapped throttle cable ($65 or so to fix), fucked carbs ($220 to fix, including dyno time), dead battery ($60 or so).

The rear tire and carb issues were probably preventable; I guess I didn't use enough Sta-Bil over the winter for the carbs & so the bowls gummed up (plus I didn't drain them when I probably should have). The previous owner gave me an awful tune so that's why it hit the dyno. The battery was probably just old & tired...

It has also done a couple of things when it's stationary, like the sidestand falling through pavement on a hot day (apparently Americans can't make good asphalt?) and some stupid bitch reversing into it and knocking it over.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I wouldn't buy an older (i.e., pre-2002 or so) Ducati if I was on a budget (which I am now). If I could stomach the purchase price, I could handle a newer one on a budget in terms of ongoing maintenance costs. That said, though, it sounds like your previous dealer was pulling the wool over your eyes in regards to service costs. Both BCM and Moto Milano are cheaper and better than you've been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by viffer57 View Post
    Jack at xtreme moto design in wakefield has some horror stories about some newer ducatis. You can e-mail him @xtrememotodesigns.net and get his thoughts on Ducatis. He is the owner/mechanic.
    Horror stories? Pretty much every Ducati made has had its share of problems but I wouldn't call any of them horror stories. The xx6 bikes had the flaking rockers and shoddy charging system. The xx9 bikes had the stupid red key/immobilizer BS and stalling issues. I forget what exactly was going on with the new ones but I think it was something electrical issue. Doesn't matter what series it was, they all had their short comings but fortunately they were all easy cheap fixes (except the flaking rockers) If you research the model you are looking for you will know what to look for and there shouldn't be any problems. If you go on pretty much any Ducati forum you'll see that the only people that bitch about them are the ones that didn't know what they were getting themselves into and just bought the bike because they thought it was pretty.

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post

My current bike, a 1995 900SS/CR, has been a little more temperamental. Things that have gone wrong: melted headlight connector ($10 to fix), flat rear tire (could happen on any bike), blown ignition coil ($150 used to fix), snapped throttle cable ($65 or so to fix), fucked carbs ($220 to fix, including dyno time), dead battery ($60 or so).
    I've had my own problems with a 1995 900SS SP. Even after broken head studs, burning oil, bad ignition coils, and all, I have a hard time getting rid of this bike and replacing it with a Triumph or whatever Jap 600. It's got a certain kind of charm, is different, and overall *is* easy to work on for belt changes, valve adjustments, and such.

I have been able to do all the work by myself, and have only taken it into a shop when I was really in over my head. I'm still contemplating selling it to get a newer Ducati or Aprilia, but couldn't see myself without it.

Maybe I'll just say F it and get a new Superbike

As someone who spent the last 11 years working on Ducatis for a living. I can tell you that Ducatis are a great bike that you will love to own...at a price.

I do not want anyone to go away thinking I am saying they are substandard in any way, They are just not trouble free. Problem is... ride one, there are few bikes out there that have the ability to make you smile for as long after riding one.

kind of like that super hot girl that is high maintenance on so many levels. They are more to buy and more to own, but if the bike does it for you you will spend the money.

There are honda shops in every town, not so with Ducati. Are you okay with that? Parts can be back slow to arrive from italy.

Italy has this habit of taking a while to fix design flaws, I went through three regulators on my 851 before the company had a replacement that fixed it. rocker arms on 916/748..etc took years to get back to where they were on the early superbikes. I have changed wiring harnesses and ECUs on 749/999 more than enough times. valve guides a plenty.

Thats the bad news.
    Good news is the bikes rock! I still have not found another bike that feels as good. I do not care for the styling on all models and there are some applications that they are poor at (try city driving on a newer superbike...hot...hot ...hot) .

If you are thinking you would not want to keep up on maintenance (even things you would do), or willing to put up with "caricture" then I would suggest a new honda.

nice thing is there is a flavor bike out there for everyone, Not everyone needs to be on a Ducati.

good luck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123