Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I dunno if this belongs here , but its about modding my bike

Just saw some hayabusa pistons for sale , and it said they were drop ins for my SV , but required honing (what ever that means) and new rings. How much does honing and new rings cost and is it worth it for the extra 5 hp ? I know I'm gonna need to get a jet kit and I'm probably going to get pipes after that and then a new air box and then probably start suspension mods after that.

Just wondering , is it hard to install the hayabusa pistons , should I bring it to a pro or just try to install it myself ? I've been searching the web for tutorals but there are none .

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

dude... just ride the thing for a bit. then if you are real hung up on more power... work the exhaust and carb and air box.

i dont think its worth tearing your motor all apart and *just* dropping in pistons that will somehow gain you 5 hp?!?!?

if you ever pull that thing apart enough to change out pistons, then do it right and get someone to really tweak the internals out. There are a number of racers/gearheads here that could give some guidance as to just what is worth doing. but wait and ride it first and make sure you plan on keepin it for a real long time so it's worth tearing apart.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Listen to Oreo

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Lifer

Yah.. if you read the SV list it's silly to change the pistons unless you're trying to build up a 95hp monster race SV or something like that.

If you're light you probably have very little need to modify it at all for a long, long time.

Ben

Alright thanks for tellin me not to rip my motor apart , I didn't know it was that complicated , I'll leave the pistons out , probably find a exhaust and then air box. I read some place that you can rejet your own sv for like 5 bucks or something , http://www.geocities.com/catpoopman/Johns_bike.html , pretty neat , I think I'm gonna do it once I get my exhaust.

Just saw some dual high mount renegades online , hmmmm might get them

Pretty power hungry right now , friend's r6 jets me like crazy on the highway , but I can still beat my dad and uncle .

An SV can be made to go fast but you really need to know alot about motors and have a few thousand bucks to blow on parts. Learn how to corner well then take your buddy on the back roads and blow him away. You have about a 34 horsepower defecit compared to the R6. This is a good thing since you are young and learning.

Just popping in pistons is not the way to go. You have to look at the whole picture, over size pistons, rebore, rings, connecting rods, shave head, valves, cam... etc. It's BIG bucks. Risk of going down and wrecking a bike is high. I just can't justify spending thousands on engine mods on a bike. If you need more HP... get the R6 or something... still need more... gixxer, R1... etc...