Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Educate me on Ducati Monsters.

Educate me on Ducati Monsters.

My life is a downward spiral of poor financial decisions and today was no exception. I bought a gray market import 96 M750 today. I'm sure of you saw the CL post.

Given that I know exactly jack dick about Italian bikes. Give me a crash course.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Re: Educate me on Ducati Monsters.

Don't you have another 36 broken bikes that you bought for $50 projects to finish?
    Don't get me wrong I wish I had a) the knowledge and b) the time to take over projects like yours I think you should finish a few year and there before you take over more, especially the type that (as you said) you don't know shit about.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Some one mix anger with your coffee this AM? No need to be upset.

I sold damn near everything.
    All of my bikes run but one which is currently on eBay.

I won't know about them til I learn by doing.

Last edited by Garrett; 01-03-15 at 11:58 PM.
    Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

If you'd click the pointless link in my profile you would see I sold:
    1988 Hawk GT
    TWO 1987 GSX-R1100s
    1996 GSX-R1100
    1993 CBR900RR

Which put me down to a 1997 GSXR750 SRAD (which runs), a 1994 CBR900R (which runs) and a 1996 Triumph Daytona 900 Super III (currently on ebay, doesn't run). I then gained an 03 CBR954 that just needed a key and now runs and now this piece of shit Olive Garden bike.

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

I just remember seeing a for sale thread with several bikes gsxrs I think for sale. 4 iirc. And some were in the condition exactly as you picked them up, which leads me to assume you didn't have the time to get to them. That's why I find it interesting to pick up another one.
    But hey by all means everyone has the right to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't negativelt impact others around them and if that makes you happy I say go for it, I'm just shooting the shit (is that even a phrase?)

Yea no I totally agree with you. I went on a buying spree and then held onto them for a couple years with the thought of "Oh I'll get to them"
    I finally had to realize they were going to sit for years before I would have time for them:
    The two 87s I had deserved full restorations which I just couldn't give them.
    The 96 1100 I had needed some simple work but I was too fed up with it to care.
    The 97 750 SRAD needed to be brought home and the gas drained lol. Probably be my daily this summer when I don't wanna ride the 900RR.

So at the moment, my stable consists of running bikes (save for the Triumph on eBay which will be sold) and no major projects until I got this plate of ravioli.

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Serious question, can I have the Japanese license plate?

It's a 750 and it's air-cooled so it's not a rocket ship. My 900SS of the same vintage made about 70hp at the rear wheel, yours will have less Electrics are decent except for the occasional R/R failure. I say "occasional" because it's nothing like the woes suffered by Honda and Yamahaha bikes of the same era. The CDI coils can be a little wonky, no fix for that (that I know of) except to replace them. But you'll know if they go because you'll only fire on one cylinder...

The motors have 2 valves/cylinder meaning one belt per cylinder for a total of two belts. This means the belt change is easy to DIY. (On 4V motors, the water-cooled ones, it is quite a bit more difficult.) I think the belt change interval is 12k miles or 2 years. I would do the belts as soon as physically possible. You can go with OEM Ducati belts or a replacement belt by Bucci. The quality is about the same but the Bucci is about half the cost. I sold my Ducati a few years ago but I got my stuff from CA Cycleworks out in California, they were cheaper than anybody at the time. Changing the belts is a couple hour job the first time you do it; the "tricky" part is knowing how tight to get them. Usually you stick the head of a (I think) 5mm allen key wrench in there, if it's snug then it's the right tension. Too loose it's too loose, too tight and it's too tight.

The master cylinders for the rear brake almost always leaks. Some people sleeve them, some people replace them with a different brand, but I just used an OEM jobbie. Whatever.

The fuel filter is inside the tank -- it is submerged in gasoline -- which, to me, is fucking idiotic. This will be very apparent to you the first time you try and replace it, because you have to take the entire filler cap off. And then stick your hand into the tank. And then try and undo the hose clamps with your hand in the tank. And then lift up the fuel filter and try and fit it out through the filler cap. Jesus fucking christ, what a pain in the ass! I relocated my filter to be underneath the tank instead, no thanks to Mario & Luigi who designed the fucking thing.

Some guys swap the airbox for K&N pod filters. It sounds nicer and looks better but the airbox is part of the battery tray, which means you have to fab up a new one. In other words it's not really worth it.

You can either replace the stock cans or core them. If it's a 750 I would just core them and get Termi stickers (or whatever) for them, unless you can find a used set on eBay. Aftermarket exhausts sound the tits. Most bikes only have an oil temperature gauge; an oil pressure gauge was an option that few bothered with. I ended up making a custom one for my bike.

I have a carbon fiber mudguard that's in okay shape that you can have for the front if you give me the license plate

At that age I would ditch the OEM brake hoses and get new (braided) ones.

I think that's it. Any questions?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by number9; 01-04-15 at 12:25 AM.

PM me your address and I'll mail you the plate, seriously. I have no use for it.

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    PM me your address and I'll mail you the plate, seriously. I have no use for it.
    Thanks! I'll send you a PM.

I ninja-edited my post to add a few details that I thought of.

How big are you? I am 6'3" and 200 lbs and some of the time I felt like an elephant trying to fuck a grasshopper. But it's still much, much more comfortable than a 748 or 916 or...

Regular mirrors were great if you wanted to see what your elbows looked like. I never went with bar-end mirrors, but fuck me they can't be any worse than stock ones.

One other thing. My battery was never very strong, even though it was a Yuasa that I took good care of. US bikes had the headlight on all the time, whereas European (and probably Japanese) bikes had an off/low/high switch for the headlight. Those controls probably aren't USDOT legal -- though I doubt an inspector would pick up on it -- but on the flip side they're worth money on eBay. If my battery was struggling I would usually pull the headlight fuse, start the bike and then re-insert it. But that won't be a problem for you!

Last edited by number9; 01-04-15 at 12:30 AM.

6 feet, 170 lbs

I'm not expecting lightning speed or handling. Just a comfortable way to get to Boston every day during the nice weather.

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

6 feet, 170 lbs

I'm not expecting lightning speed or handling. Just a comfortable way to get to Boston every day during the nice weather.
    Haha, I just added a bunch more to my post.

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum is the best forum in the US. It has the answer to about every technical question you can think of. The best one in New England is NEDOC.org. For Monster-specific forums there is also Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Yea I was looking at the light switch and thought "Oh I can turn this one off!"
    It's the little things on bikes, it really is!

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Yea I was looking at the light switch and thought "Oh I can turn this one off!"
    It's the little things on bikes, it really is!
    Yeah, it's one of the first things I noticed when I moved here. I don't need Uncle Sam telling me how to see in the dark

For used parts I would go to Mark at Wounded Duc.net

Aye I signed up on ducatimonster.org and made a first post.

Looking at the VIN stamped on the frame, this was the 577th M750 to be made.
    Kinda neat

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

The 750 is a total snooze fest.
    I had one as my first real street whip. Flip it, and do what you will. If you want a bike that speaks to you, find a 900 or 1000ds. Or an 1100 if you want a wet clutch.

But, if you want nuts and bolts, it's s pretty simple bike. People make a big stink about duc valves, and it's largely perpetuated by people that heard something on the web.
    Imo, the only thing the 750 does well is sound like a Ducati. It's no more exciting to ride than a sv. Although it might have a better parts spec out the box.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Haha, I just added a bunch more to my post.

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum is the best forum in the US. It has the answer to about every technical question you can think of. The best one in New England is NEDOC.org. For Monster-specific forums there is also Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
    A few years back when the old Monster board went commercial a bunch of folks bailed and started a non-commercial alternative: General Monster Forum It's worth a few minutes to see which you prefer.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Check this out for DIY maintenance:
    Ducati Suite- For the Do-It-Yourself Ducati Mechanic

Check out L.T. Snyder:
    Desmo Times Home Page

... and get his "Ducati Desmodue/Desmotre Maintenance and Modification Guide - 3rd Ed."

PS -- I've got a rear hugger that might fit your bike -- PM me if interested. It's been hanging in the garage for a few years.

Last edited by whynot; 01-05-15 at 08:03 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Thanks for the links and reminder. I've got a SF that needs a belt change.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Check this out for DIY maintenance:
    Ducati Suite- For the Do-It-Yourself Ducati Mechanic

Check out L.T. Snyder:
    Desmo Times Home Page

... and get his "Ducati Desmodue/Desmotre Maintenance and Modification Guide - 3rd Ed."

PS -- I've got a rear hugger that might fit your bike -- PM me if interested. It's been hanging in the garage for a few years.

I had an 08 M750. It may be a dog, but it was uber comfy, handled and sounded great, was sexy as hell, and reliable as a stone. I put 50k miles on it with only one issue, and that was kinda caused by my mechanic.

I'd say just turn the key and enjoy.

Paul_E_D

So is there a bikebandit or cheapcycleparts for Ducs? I wanna look at OEM Diagrams and p/ns.

Thanks

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Picked up a Monster this winter as well. It's a S2R 1000. Looks like we both have much to learn!

Here's mine in Columbia jacket red!
    Educate me on Ducati Monsters.-image-jpg

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

So is there a bikebandit or cheapcycleparts for Ducs? I wanna look at OEM Diagrams and p/ns.

Thanks
    I'd suggest starting with the links I posted above, and try ducati.com, and explore various Ducati forums.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I'd suggest starting with the links I posted above, and try ducati.com, and explore various Ducati forums.
    Great links by the way! I'm going to do the belts myself and maybe the valves too when the time come!

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

S2R is one fine bike.

I used those sites a lot when I had my S4R and 907.

Last edited by whynot; 01-08-15 at 06:43 PM.

ANY of the Monster bikes are a riot and tons of fun.

If you don't know how to have fun on a 750 (or a scooter for that matter) you should figure out how to tap in to your inner child....!

I have a particular warm spot for the 1100 2 valve Monster...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast