Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Educate Me- Exhaust Systems

I've been thinking about getting a system for my ex500- Losing the dual and going with a single. Now since I'm changing the exhaust- Do I need to change anything with the carbs? jets?
    Or can I just simply swap the exhaust?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Everybody to the limit!

Re: Educate Me- Exhaust Systems

Originally posted by mcbgti
    I've been thinking about getting a system for my ex500- Losing the dual and going with a single. Now since I'm changing the exhaust- Do I need to change anything with the carbs? jets?
    Or can I just simply swap the exhaust?
    IME, you'll need to rejet if you go to a 2-1 full system on the EX500. Bought my EX with a supertrapp full system and it hadn't been rejetted, loud ass hell and it ran like shit in the top end of the throttle. Picked up the stock cans on Ebay, and the bike ran quieter, smoother, and better. The whole experience kinda soured me on aftermarket pipes, especially when you see the price tag on some of 'em...

I found a system by Muzzy for $325. So, what would it cost for a jet kit for the carbs? I can do the work myself, well at least I'm pretty sure I can.

how much for the factory jet kit?? Should I just got the Kawi dealer? or is there cheaper places to purchase them?

thank-you very much for that. I'll order them up this weekend.

Isn't the EX500 a parallel twin? If so, you may not be happy with the results of changing to an aftermarket 2-into1 pipe.

When I bought my TDM850 (also a parallel twin), it had a Supertrapp system on it. Loud as hell, but even worse was the god-awful droning sound it made. It didn't have that nice rumbling sound of a V-twin, nor did it sound anything like a piped 4-cylinder.

Instead, it reminded me a a Cesna 152... just plain loud, un-exciting, and really grinding on the nerves after anything longer than a 1/2-hour drive.

I ended up putting stock pipes back on, and was amazed by the gain in low-end torque, and the overall change (for the better!) of the bike's personality.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but I thought you might want to consider the consequences before you spend hard-earned cash. The results might not be everything you hoped for. You might gain a few horsepower, but the gains will likely be at the upper end of the RPM range, and you'll likely lose low-end power.

Furthermore, the added noise is going to draw unwanted attention (police) every time you crank it up a little. IMHO; stealth is the way!

I Dance With Will

Originally posted by DH2ML

IMHO; stealth is the way!
    sure you don't want to be heard? that's the least if you can't be seen. that's waht Harley would say.

"fuckit!"

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by Kham
    sure you don't want to be heard? that's the least if you can't be seen. that's waht Harley would say.
    I never bought into that whole loud pipes save lives . I've noticed that even the loudest of pipes can't be heard when the bike is coming up from behind you, and isn't this where you're really concerned about the car driver seeing your bike?

I've always preferred "loud pipes annoy neighbors". Or maybe "loud pipes cause tinnitis". My personal favorite is "loud pipes kill baby seals" but unfortunately I don't have any hard evidence to back up that one...