Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Any electrical advice?

Any electrical advice?

Hey guys. So I picked up a 2001 KTM LC4 Enduro, mostly just for kicks. I paid very little for it and fully expected to be doing some work on it, but it’s only got 6000 miles and the engine seems like it’s in pretty good shape. The whole thing seems to be in pretty good shape for a bike that’s spent a decent amount of time off road.

So, right now the only problem is that the fan won’t come on. I have decided that there is probably some bad wiring between either the thermo switch and the fan or the fan and power. I have wired the fan directly to the battery and it came on, so the fan works. I can’t guarantee the thermo switch works, but I can’t jump the switch and get the fan to come on, so there’s definetly something else going on.

I do not know a lot about electrical stuff. I don’t feel super comfortable with wiring. I own a multimeter, but honestly don’t know how to use it. Can anyone direct me to an accessible tutorial? Something that at least starts out easy to understand? Alternately, does anyone have any advice they’d like to share?

Or will I just save myself a huge headache by riding the bike to the shop at the end of my street, or across town to the KTM dealer? Like I said, I don’t mind a bit of a project but I am not looking for a never ending headache. Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Re: Any electrical advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Hey guys. So I picked up a 2001 KTM LC4 Enduro, mostly just for kicks. I paid very little for it and fully expected to be doing some work on it, but it’s only got 6000 miles and the engine seems like it’s in pretty good shape. The whole thing seems to be in pretty good shape for a bike that’s spent a decent amount of time off road.

So, right now the only problem is that the fan won’t come on. I have decided that there is probably some bad wiring between either the thermo switch and the fan or the fan and power. I have wired the fan directly to the battery and it came on, so the fan works. I can’t guarantee the thermo switch works, but I can’t jump the switch and get the fan to come on, so there’s definetly something else going on.
    Do you mean you don't have the wiring necessary to try and jump the switch, or do you mean you've tried jumping the switch and it didn't work? Not trying to be critical, just trying to see what you've eliminated.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Get a relay and a fuse
    at Auto store

Use license plate light to turn on relay, then power it from the battery through the fuse and relay let it run all the time

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Do you mean you don't have the wiring necessary to try and jump the switch, or do you mean you've tried jumping the switch and it didn't work? Not trying to be critical, just trying to see what you've eliminated.
    I tried to jump the switch and the fan did not turn on.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Also, as far as things I’ve eliminated, I have profilacticly replaced all of the (4) fuses I can find in the bike. The fuses were (I think) relocated behind the mask by a previous owner. There are 3 10 amps behind the mask and one inline 20 amp off the positive battery terminal. If there are more fuses in there they must be somewhere under/behind the air box, which I have not taken out, or possibly between the rear fender and license plate carrier, which seems unlikely to be connected to the fan.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

there is very likely 2 switches in the circuit, the thermo fan switch that you can test by putting in boiling water, AND the water temperature sensor that sends signals to the EFI to control the fuel mixture

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

It’s carburated, so I think this is the only sensor.

I was just thinking, maybe the easiest thing to do is just cut all the connectors off, clean and grease them, and rewrire the thing. Unless the problem is in the wiring harness somewhere, that should solve the problem, right?

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Find a wiring diagram so you know what goes where. Otherwise your chasing something without a road map.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    Find a wiring diagram so you know what goes where. Otherwise your chasing something without a road map.
    that is what I was going to suggest, fwiw, a carbed Dodge Ram 50 (rebadged Mitsubishi) that I owned a zillion years ago, had a water temperature sensor that operated a solenoid in the carb that changed the fuel mixture. THe fan however was mechanical

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON