Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Electrical Charging Problem

Hey Guys, I need help here! I bought an 86 fz600 over the summer, but she doesn't recharge the battery when running. The Reg/Rec was replaced, I put in a rebuilt stator, and just recently replaced the electric rotor brushes. She died after 20 miles on the test ride. The last thing that I can think of is the electromagnetic rotor itself is bad. Is there anything else I might be missing here? I really need to find out how to diagnose this issue, instead of dropping a few hundred on a new part and then seeing if it works.
    Any insight would be incredibly helpful.
    Also, does the stator orientation matter? I assumed the coil just needed to be around the rotor, but is it possible that there is a direction it needs to face...(i.e I put it in backwards).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ok, here is an addendum to the original post. Basically, what i most need to know is how to diagnose if an electric rotor is bad or not. Does anyone know the procedure for this? I have a multimeter, just not sure what to test....

Thanks again

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

As far as the stator goes (and I'm sure this is different from bike to bike) if the cable from the stator is anything like the one on my 82 cb750f, you should read a given resistance between any of the 3 yellow leads (should all be the same ohms) and "open" between the black and any yellow lead. If it's shorted between a black lead and any yellow, bat stator.

As far as the rotor goes, if you know that the stator, volt regulator, and everything else associated with the charging system is "good", then there's a pretty strong chance it's the rotor.

I'm having a similar problem with my 82 Honda. I've tested the stator which is good and the system seems to be charging (shows 14 or so volts at higher than idle rpms) however, at higher rpms, it's not charging which points to the rotor. From what I understand, the rotor can work at low revs, but fail at higher revs due to cintrifugal forces pushing a winding out of contact.

ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook