Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

The Evolution of a Cheapfighter Part I and II

I started a build up of a cheap streetfighter. I don't know if you guys and girls want to see the build up over the winter but if you do, here are my first two installments theat I posted on another forum. Also if anyone has parts for sale for this style of bike then let me know because i may need them.

The Kane Chronicles Part 1, 11-15-06

Fresh purchase of a $900 dollar GSXR.

As I start tearing the bike down last night I noticed some odd things about the bike. I am no expert on the GSXR series bikes but I saw some components that looked like they may be from the 600cc bike and not the 750cc bike that I purchased. This bike had standard forks and an unbraced swingarm. The 750 came with USD forks and a braced swingarm. This led me to do some research before I continued with the tear down. I checked the frame vin on a vin website and it is indeed a clean titled GSXR 750 frame. OK? So what motor do I have? I noticed the motor had coils in the valve cover for the spark plugs. The 750 does not have this. I measured the carb venturies and they are indeed 600 cc carbs so I took the engine code and looked it up. Yup, I have a 600cc motor also. It looks to me like some one procured (stole maybe) a GSXR 600 sometime ago and either had, or purchased a clean titled 750 frame. So now it looks like I have a legally owned bike with questionable parts. Who knows, maybe someone had a bent 600 frame and just bought a 750 frame because they got a good deal on it and then swapped it all out, I don’t know.

So know it looks like I have a mutt. No big deal though because it is going to look like one when I am done. I checked out the motor some more and it is completely seized. I need to take it out now and tear it apart to see the extent of the damage. If it is just crank bearing and they are scored then I can turn the crank and get some new bearings. Engine building is easy for me so this could be a good thing. I will get some thinner head and base gaskets to bump up the compression a bit also. If the motor is totally trashed then I will find myself a 750 motor and get some displacement that I wanted in the first place. It is all about cheap so the smaller carbs will go on and I might even swap heads to get more low end power due to the higher intake velocity that the 600 heads will allow..

Stay tuned for the next installment of the Evolution of a Streetfighter.

The Kane Chronicles Part II, 11-25-06

Frame and bouncers:
    The bike is stripped down as far as I want to go at this point. I think I will leave the frame polished in order to save some cash. I really want to powder coat it but that’s a few hundred that can go into suspension parts or other items. On another note, I could sandblast the polished bits to give them a cast look. I am really satisfied with the overall condition of the bike. I have a watch on some USD forks on E-bay but other than a look at those factor I don’t really need them. Racetech valves and new springs can put me right where I want to be with the ones I have now. Saturday I went over to Djultimate’s house and bought his 2003 GSXR750 rear shock. It has very little mileage on it and looks new. This should be a good improvement from the old worn out shock I have now. The main issue though is the new shock is 7/8" shorter. I have a few ideas in store to remedy this so my ride height won’t drop. The top clevis is going to get an extension which will also make it ride height adjustable.

Where it stands today.

The new shock from Djultimate

Body, or lack there of:

No update on this department other than ideas. The fat tail is starting to grow on me and might just stay. I want a two tone paint that can slim it down a bit and allow me to have that massive rear storage box for anything I can put in there. Plus I have found some kickin undertails online for a good price which has some cool lights in them. Another idea which I also have a bid on is a 02-03 R1 tail section. I found a subframe for a good price and I can easily modify the mounts to fit my bike. After that everything from an R1 will just bolt right up. This could prove to look real cool. On the front end I am looking for twin 3.5" headlights, sort of speed Triple style. This will go well with the Protaper bars .
    UPDATE. I lost out on the subframe for the R1 tail so I think I will leave the stocker on unless I find a killer deal on another subframe.

Motor:

Boy this kid who sold the bike really effed up. I pulled to motor out and took off the head. I fought with it for a couple of days trying to get it to turn over. I soaked the pistons in penetrating oil for two days. After that the motor magically turned over with a wrench for about three turns and then locked back up. OK, now to dismantle and check the bearings and rings out. Meanwhile I find a great deal on a cylinder and piston assembly on E-bay for $50 shipped, so I naturally bought it before the tear down. After all the cylinder walls could be wasted. Apart comes the motor. My buddy Jay takes the starter gear cover off while I am removing the water pump. He says “hey look at this cover”. I find some wear and take a look at the gears by the starter clutch. We found the source of the seized engine. The center bolt for the starter gear backed out and jammed itself into the cover which locked up the motor. I grab the crank on the other side and the motor turn over like smooth silk. Someone must have worked on the starter clutch and never put locktight or even torqued the bolt down. Now I have a perfectly good low mileage motor. Good day for me. We stopped the disassemby and put mostly everything back together. The tranny looks good and I am only going to change the clutch out.

The starter cover.

The starter bolt that seized the motor.

This week will be to order the new clutch and gaskets to get the motor completed. I am going take apart the carbs to clean them and see if they are jetted. I am also going to start designing and building the adapter to fit the shorter shock on the rear. Then I can take the swingarm off to grease the bearings and scrub all the old dirt off.

That is all for now. Stay tuned.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Trackday ride: 2001 gsxr 600
    Pit Bike: Xtreme 125 cc
    Cage toy: 1980 Jeep CJ-5 It will wheelie too.
    Daily beater: 2005 Chevy Colorado 4x4 four door.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

my only suggestion about this involves the rear shock. peter might be more informative on this subjuct but i dont think the shorter shock is going to have the the same spring rate. just making an extension for it might not remedy it. i would PM GMD and ask kates what he thinks. other than that... looks like fun

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports