Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Exhaust repack help!

Exhaust repack help!

I am trying to repack my Akrapovic/BMW slip-on can thats on my XR.

The rivets are located only on the exit side of the can. The inlet side is completely sealed. I removed the rivets, ran a pick between where the metals meet to clean it up, but I'm having trouble pulling it apart. There is also nothing to really grab onto to pull it apart. I am able to wiggle the center piece a little but not able to pull it away from the sleeve.

Are these meant to come apart to be repacked? How do it take it apart?!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Lifer

Re: Exhaust repack help!

I have repacked an older Yosh pipe a couple times. Getting those caps off can be a real bear. When you assemble you should be sealing it. That sealant acts as an adhesive too. I, unfortunately, haven't figured out a way to easily separate the ends except with some pretty brutal force; screwdrivers, prying, etc. I wonder if applying some heat might help too. Much more difficult on a street bike where you care about looks. My Yosh experience is with a shitbox SV race/track bike.

Good luck. Wear gloves. The packing is usually carboned up pretty bad.

Definitely HEAT.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I have repacked an older Yosh pipe a couple times. Getting those caps off can be a real bear. When you assemble you should be sealing it. That sealant acts as an adhesive too. I, unfortunately, haven't figured out a way to easily separate the ends except with some pretty brutal force; screwdrivers, prying, etc. I wonder if applying some heat might help too. Much more difficult on a street bike where you care about looks. My Yosh experience is with a shitbox SV race/track bike.

Good luck. Wear gloves. The packing is usually carboned up pretty bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Definitely HEAT.
    Have you guys taken apart an exhaust where it only opens on one side?

Where do I apply the heat?

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I've used a rubber mallet to knock it back and forth to get it moving.

Am I supposed to repack my slip-on?? I haven't touched the LeoVince that's been on my Tiger for over 50k miles now

I did my r1 at about 44000 miles.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Have you guys taken apart an exhaust where it only opens on one side?

Where do I apply the heat?
    I wound up removing both ends. It sort of turned into a clusterfuck. But then I have an older yosh pipe that had been down and had some "patina" to it. A clean street bike should be different.
    Apply heat around where the end-cap is riveted to the can itself.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Am I supposed to repack my slip-on?? I haven't touched the LeoVince that's been on my Tiger for over 50k miles now
    Well. It will only get louder as the packing gets burned out!
    In my case I repacked a really knackered used can once while racing. I then repacked it again years later for a track day at Palmer as I was convinced the bike was not going to pass their sound checks. That time the packing was in really good shape and arguably did not need to be repacked. I could not tell the difference after the repack. Although I was not flagged at Palmer.. so?!?

I also repacked my 2-stroke dirt bike with who knows how many hours on it. The packing in that silencer was so good I just put it back and held onto the packing kit for another day. I have no idea how to gauge when it needs to be done or not.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Well. It will only get louder as the packing gets burned out!
    In my case I repacked a really knackered used can once while racing. I then repacked it again years later for a track day at Palmer as I was convinced the bike was not going to pass their sound checks. That time the packing was in really good shape and arguably did not need to be repacked. I could not tell the difference after the repack. Although I was not flagged at Palmer.. so?!?

I also repacked my 2-stroke dirt bike with who knows how many hours on it. The packing in that silencer was so good I just put it back and held onto the packing kit for another day. I have no idea how to gauge when it needs to be done or not.
    Louder means faster, right? I'm positive that's the mentality by some car/bike people that speed by my house. Anywho, I guess I'll just leave it as is -- I haven't noticed an increase in noise (I'm sure it's subtle over a long period of time) but if that's the only side effect, I don't see the need to tear into it just yet

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    Louder means faster, right? I'm positive that's the mentality by some car/bike people that speed by my house. Anywho, I guess I'll just leave it as is -- I haven't noticed an increase in noise (I'm sure it's subtle over a long period of time) but if that's the only side effect, I don't see the need to tear into it just yet
    Agreed, if it's not obnoxious, don't bother.

Paul_E_D

Another reason to repack an exhaust is in the event the original packing degrades significantly and causes discoloration on the metal sleeve or starts to burn a carbon sleeve. I had this happen on a Termi carbon exhaust on my hyper, luckily for me both ends of the sleeve had riveted endcaps and was a relatively easy job. My only suggest to the OP would be to maybe use a coat hanger to fish out the old packing material?

Hyper