Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Fairing Decals

Fairing Decals

Been browsing this forum for a little while and I had a question....

I need a mid fairing decal for a 2006 CBR1000RR

Besides the fact that it is a huge decal and cost about $100, My main concern is applying it. I don't want to spend $100 on a decal I am going to ruin trying to apply it....

My question is, is there somewhere I could take the fairing and have the decal applied?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Any local sign company would probably do it pretty cheap.

Re: Fairing Decals

Quote Originally Posted by 9milli View Post
    Been browsing this forum for a little while and I had a question....

I need a mid fairing decal for a 2006 CBR1000RR

Besides the fact that it is a huge decal and cost about $100, My main concern is applying it. I don't want to spend $100 on a decal I am going to ruin trying to apply it....

My question is, is there somewhere I could take the fairing and have the decal applied?

Thanks!
    I have a mid fairing for sale, it is the Grey metallic color..
    On the off chance yours is the same, see attached link. Could do $50.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-fairings.html

Mine is different it is the silver with white. Too bad that would have worked out well..

If you decide to do the decal yourself:

1)Clean the floor under the bike really well (you will inevitably drop one end of the decal on the ground by accident)
    2)Clean plastic with alcohol to remove all oil
    3)With the backing still on, tape decal on to make sure its where you want it.
    4)Mark 3 points around the decal with tape as a reference
    5)Remove decal.
    6)Lightly spray the fairing with Windex. Be sure to coat an area larger than the decal to prevent decal from sticking in the wrong spot.
    7)Remove backing from decal and carefully place in position. You will have a few minutes to position the decal before Windex starts to evaporate. A helper is great at this point. Decals like to curl back into their storage position, stick to your arm fur, slip out of you hands and land butter side down in a pile of sand.
    8) Using a soft plastic squeegee (like a bondo spreader) smooth the decal starting at the top and work from the center out to the edges. 'Drag' the edge of the squeegee across the decal.This will remove the air bubbles and excess Windex. Be careful that your squeegee tool isnt scratching the decal! Wrapping you squeegee in a piece of the decal release paper with the slippery side out will help prevent scratches. Double check your work from all angles to make sure the decal is straight and there are no bubbles or wrinkles. You can also run you hand over the decal to feel for bubbles too.
    * Pay special attention to the edges to ensure they pressed to the plastic.
    * If you really screw up, peel the decal off before it has set and start over at step 6.
    * Let the Windex 'dry' for 24hours before you hit the road.
    This has worked well for me in the past with small decals and 3x6 privacy screens.

You could contact Mark Cusson at Turn One Graphics in (Nashua I think) NH. He's not a member on here, but has contact info on his website.

Or you could contact Chris Cruzel at Dripping Wet. He's not local, but does tons of decals for people nationwide. Look him up online.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

thanks for the suggestions. I went to a local guy I know who does lettering for vehicles and the like. He said he can do it no problem.

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

if you want to do it yourself it's easy if you use Sticker-ON. i applied a new side fairing to my 600RR this past summer and it came out perfect.

i got large bottle and only used a couple sprays and if things fall through for you, PM me, you can use mine and I can help you.

I appreciate that and I will.

On another note after some research it appears this is a common issue on this bike. From what I read online a lot of people have had issues with the right mid fairing decal bubbling from the heat of the fan. I believe Honda is aware of this. I am probably dreaming, but maybe Honda will take care of me with a decal? (I'm guessing not for a 5 year old bike though....)

highly doubt it but a well written e-mail and some proof it happens a lot might help? I just wouldn't get my hopes up.

I would add some heat shielding behind the fairing before replacing the sticker so it doesn't happen again and you don't mess up the new sticker working on the back.

ya. weird thing is there is no email I can find for Honda Motorsports lol. All they have on their website is a phone number and address. I will probably just call, worst they can do is say no. I did find an OEM decal online for $77, which is better than the $120ish the dealer wants.

If you take the Honda part number and type it into google shopping you might find something cheaper

Maybe a calss action internet lawsuit against Honda is in order? Or maybe a group buy on new stickers?

KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 9milli View Post
    I appreciate that and I will.

On another note after some research it appears this is a common issue on this bike. From what I read online a lot of people have had issues with the right mid fairing decal bubbling from the heat of the fan. I believe Honda is aware of this. I am probably dreaming, but maybe Honda will take care of me with a decal? (I'm guessing not for a 5 year old bike though....)

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK