Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Fairing repair

Fairing repair

Im thinking for a winter project, to repair all my fairings and get it ready for a custom paint job. Im just curious what people have had success using and stuff. I was thinking of using plastifix but maybe i might go with the abs sheets with a smoldering iron thingy from the same company. What would you guys do?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~
    Mods: Flush mount turn signals, 2bros c-2 exhaust, Puig Carbon black windscreen, Michelin PR2's, Custom Icy Pearl white paint job w/ my own sharpie design, Ride it shorty clutch and brake levers

Re: Fairing repair

Bondo-glass with fiberglass mat for holes, then Bondo on top of that to make everything smooth.

Shit works awesome, and it'll cost you about $40 after everything to get your fairings prepped for paint.

didn't clear or wet sand the thing, but whatever, you get the idea.

I hear that plastic and fiberglass will generally not bond well unless you really know what you're doing. ABS cement works well from what I understand. Also you can get ABS sheets or pipes and "melt" it with acetone or MEK to make it formable and it'll bond with most fairings. Gonna give the ABS stuff a try when I'm unemployed and don't work 90 hours a week anymore.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Quote Originally Posted by jopo16 View Post
    Im thinking for a winter project, to repair all my fairings and get it ready for a custom paint job. Im just curious what people have had success using and stuff. I was thinking of using plastifix but maybe i might go with the abs sheets with a smoldering iron thingy from the same company. What would you guys do?
    plastic welding is the only way to do this correctly... use metal window screen on the backside melted into the plastic for a strong fix that wont come back to haunt you. make sure you are using the correct plastic for the job as not all fairings are made of abs.

id be happy to do it for you if youd like it done right....

Last edited by landricscustoms; 06-18-11 at 11:06 PM.
    Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    plastic welding is the only way to do this correctly... use metal window screen on the backside melted into the plastic for a strong fix that wont come back to haunt you. make sure you are using the correct plastic for the job as not all fairings are made of abs.

id be happy to do it for you if youd like it done right....
    Yeah i have a 2007 Yamaha Thundercat, i believe ALL the fairings are ABS. As for your help, thanks man, thats really generous of you. I bought the bike being a noob guy that just really wanted a bike, and found a good deal. I didnt check everything as far as externals, and i didnt have a beginner, intermediate or expert rider with me, so yeah. Basically all the fairings are either scratched, broken or cracked...After i reviewed all the damages, i just feel like i got jipped..But anyways, enough whining, how much would it be for your help? i just want to keep it in mind if i find it too stressful to balance this with school.

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~
    Mods: Flush mount turn signals, 2bros c-2 exhaust, Puig Carbon black windscreen, Michelin PR2's, Custom Icy Pearl white paint job w/ my own sharpie design, Ride it shorty clutch and brake levers

Someone sent me this a while ago. A user on 600rr.net posted a very detailed how-to on repairing busted fairings. It's worth a look.

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=105576

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    ...I have your pants!!!

Yeah i have a 2007 Yamaha Thundercat, i believe ALL the fairings are ABS. As for your help, thanks man, thats really generous of you. I bought the bike being a noob guy that just really wanted a bike, and found a good deal. I didnt check everything as far as externals, and i didnt have a beginner, intermediate or expert rider with me, so yeah. Basically all the fairings are either scratched, broken or cracked...After i reviewed all the damages, i just feel like i got jipped..But anyways, enough whining, how much would it be for your help? i just want to keep it in mind if i find it too stressful to balance this with school.
    Give me a call on my cell @ 774-200-6395 or stop by with the parts to my shop in Bellingham. Id be glad to assess the damage for you and give you a quote to do the work and or point you in the right direction to fixing them yourself. I've got some tricks for proper repair of plastic that ill let you in on... I just posted the first Landrics Customs Site Sponsor Deal that gives Nesr Members a 15% discount on paint work and labor so this might be the perfect time to have me do the work!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Someone sent me this a while ago. A user on 600rr.net posted a very detailed how-to on repairing busted fairings. It's worth a look.

I just skimmed through most of that for the process not so much as the material he was using and tools. Worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by landricscustoms View Post
    Give me a call on my cell @ 774-200-6395 or stop by with the parts to my shop in Bellingham. Id be glad to assess the damage for you and give you a quote to do the work and or point you in the right direction to fixing them yourself. I've got some tricks for proper repair of plastic that ill let you in on... I just posted the first Landrics Customs Site Sponsor Deal that gives Nesr Members a 15% discount on paint work and labor so this might be the perfect time to have me do the work!!!!
    Thanks dude, yeah check the photos here http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/...ima/?start=all there might be a little searching but i took a picture of all damaged fairings. Your too far for me to ride all the way there just to get a quote. >< and with my new business opening up soon, i would def not have time ><

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~

Thanks dude, yeah check the photos here http://s1176.photobucket.com/albums/...ima/?start=all there might be a little searching but i took a picture of all damaged fairings. Your too far for me to ride all the way there just to get a quote. >< and with my new business opening up soon, i would def not have time ><
    those pics are too small to see any detail.. any chance you can email em too me??

OMG that fricken repair is some of the worst hack job stuff i've seen in a while. honsetly whatever panel that is would probably not even be worth the effort it would take to fix. just buy a new one. all the other stuff look like it needs some tlc and the upper needs a little plastic welding.

but no really just buy a new piece for that one. and Rich the photos are huge if u can view them on a computer

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Jo, have you checked ebay for fairing kits for your bike? They're usually pretty reasonable.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    OMG that fricken repair is some of the worst hack job stuff i've seen in a while. honsetly whatever panel that is would probably not even be worth the effort it would take to fix. just buy a new one. all the other stuff look like it needs some tlc and the upper needs a little plastic welding.

but no really just buy a new piece for that one. and Rich the photos are huge if u can view them on a computer
    I have looked and just buying new fairings, but the price for some are stupid expensive. Plus they are still not in awesome condition or anything. OEM parts are even more expensive >< Thats what i was initially thinking though ,just buy new fairings. but the amount i would pay for new fairings, i can fix mine, get them painted and have my own custom look for equal or more you know?

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Jo, have you checked ebay for fairing kits for your bike? They're usually pretty reasonable.
    yeah i have, and though they seem like a reasonable price ( Roughly $500 ), they are straight from china. On the yzf600r forum that im apart of aswell, we talked about it and how it doesnt fit perfectly, theres alot of stress that comes with the fairings + the fairings dont come with a decent heat pads. Also the quality of them are not as strong as the abs OEM parts. Idk, for a full kit on ebay, and the quality of it and everything, it isnt worth my $500. PLUS! the tank fairing isnt even a tank fairing, its a tank cover o.O goes over your OEM tank...

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~

i have used glass and mat for a backing a few times with a skim coat of filler over the other side. it is cheap, easy and has held up great. prep is key and i only do it to keep cracked pieces going a little longer. looks good so far tho