Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Flash Rust problems

Flash Rust problems

Hey guys,

I had some tank rust in a bike I just bought so I let it sit in apple cider vinegar over the weekend. Went to remove the vinegar and clean with hot water, and I noticed a lot of surface rust showed up minutes after. I had a little vinegar left so I put it in, rust went away, and then came back after using water to rinse.

Is there something better than water to use?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Flash Rust problems

No experience with this, but I would try bombing it with WD40 right after the water rinse.

I haven't done a metal tank but I think phosphoric acid is what you're looking for, directly after washing. Worth a Google.

I've de-rusted a ton of metal bits from pedal and motor bikes and I usually wash with warm water after de-rusting then immediately dry them and drop them in some motor oil, otherwise the moisture rusts very quickly. Not sure dumping motor oil in the gas tank would be a good idea though... unless it's a 2 stroke?

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Get a POR-15 kit, coat the inside and call it a day. It requires a light surface rust for adhesion.

Coincidentally I have 2 tank kits but only need one if you're interested.

No need for the real kits, I have used white vinegar on plenty of tanks.

Like petorius said you have got to coat it right away. I dump the vinegar and rinse for a while with the hose. If you use a strong stream you can blast out any loose bits that remain. As soon as that's done I shake out out much water as possible then blast it with your favorite cheap oil.

Do this next part at your own risk but I set up a hair dryer to blow in the fuel inlet and leave it there for a while. Once the tank is completely dry I take some 2t oil and roll it around as best you can. This has worked well for me on many tanks, even well rusted out ones. Most recently I had a tank in real rough shape but leaving the vinegar in there for 3 days did the trick.

Remember to remove the fuel tap and make a plug of some sort. Best results if you get rid of excess oil and put fuel in it ASAP. The more fuel you keep in there the better.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Use Evaporust or similar instead of vinegar. The coating it leaves behind will continue to prevent rust while you wait to decide what you're going to do to the tank.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Tank sealing kits prevent future rust. One and done.