Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What if you get a flat?

Re: What if you get a flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Your years of supplications have finally convinced me. I've just joined AMA for the first time.
    He also convinced me to join, and I have also been putting it off for years. Damn you Tony for putting the link and making it ridiculously easy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    well, I tried to give this whole plug thing a try...and I just suck...took me two tries to get the plug in, presumably because the hole wasn't big enough the first time, and in the time it took me to wrestle this thing in, the cement already started to dry, further preventing its entry

so I widened the hole even more, made the plug nice and slimy with cement, and I think the larger hole with a lubricated plug allowed it to go in much easier.

only thing is - I twisted the tool before pulling it out, and the instructions said too pull it straight out without twisting...does that fuck it up?
    well, my shitty plug didn't last....took her out yesterday, and the tire was completely flat...I aired her back up, but she was losing air slowly surely. my ability to plug a tire can get me home, but unless I get more practice, it's not for a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    He also convinced me to join, and I have also been putting it off for years. Damn you Tony for putting the link and making it ridiculously easy.
    Awesome!

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

The small size of the Slime "tire top off" is amazing. I always assumed a compressor would take up too much space. Bought one yesterday. Tools and compressor take up less than 2/3 of the Multistrada storage compartment. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Bought a $9 tiny Slime brand compressor at Walmart and a "puncture repair kit" with the t-handle tool and braided plugs.

Takes up less than half of my little tank-bag.

Total expenditure? $13 and change.

Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    from AAA website:

Roadside Assistance is available to the member whose name appears on the membership card while driving or as a passenger in his/her own car, rental car, a friend's car or similar situation. The service is not available to non-members driving a member's car, even if that person resides in the same household.

^^ What he said. The membership is for the person, not the car. Which is why the driver should ask for the card & ID.

Also, we haven't don't AAA towing in a few years (2), but motorcycles were always covered while we did.

Quote Originally Posted by wil11748 View Post
    Also, we haven't don't AAA towing in a few years (2), but motorcycles were always covered while we did.
    AAA SNE?

Yeah I was under the impression that AAA does cover bikes, but not in MA, or at least not with a MA plan. I've been thinking about doing the AMA plan, as it's geared toward motorcycles, but will work for cars too.

I have a Genuine Innovations CO2 patch kit in my tail bag, but usually don't carry that bag. I should probably put it in my tank bag...

I asked because I went round and round with AAA SNE which covers MA, RI and CT and they have no plan that covers bikes at all. Some other regions do cover them under an enhanced RV plan, but it seems to be $100 a year or more.
    I joined AMA but kept AAA becuase of all the discounts on renta cars, hotels etc.

$10 / year to progressive insurance gets me roadside assistance.

I had a valve stem come loose on the rear wheel about a month after getting the 'wing.

Called progressive. A while later a flat bed showed up and hauled my bike home for me (they offered dealerships in Manchester and Concord as well).

Progressive called me back to make sure that everything worked out OK.

I haven't needed it since, but am confident it would work out.
    I also carry a set or tire plugs, just in case.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have the same progressive roadside assistance as well as AAA motorcycle /rv but all they will do is tow it or bring you gas (iirc), liability wise I can understand why they don't plug bike tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
    I've been thinking about doing the AMA plan, as it's geared toward motorcycles, but will work for cars too.
    Winning!!!

Yes, I sound like a broken record, but as responsible motorcycle riders, this is the way to go.

You join the American Motorcyclist Association and let them automatically renew you by credit card. Cost is $39/year and in return you get:

- 24-hour roadside assistance for your motorcycles and all the rest of your vehicles, including cars, trucks, RVs and trailers.
    - Includes coverage for your spouse and dependent children living at home or away in college.

I have used the service two times already and it works great. One time to tow my truck and trailer - and one time to fix a flat on Renee's car at night.

Support motorcycling and get a great service.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Tony - do you pay up front and then get reimbursed, or it it a paperwork-only excercise?

AAA renewal is up and am going to Progressive Roadside, unless AMA is comparable. Would prefer to go that way...

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Winning!!!

Yes, I sound like a broken record, but as responsible motorcycle riders, this is the way to go.

You join the American Motorcyclist Association and let them automatically renew you by credit card. Cost is $39/year and in return you get:

- 24-hour roadside assistance for your motorcycles and all the rest of your vehicles, including cars, trucks, RVs and trailers.
    - Includes coverage for your spouse and dependent children living at home or away in college.

I have used the service two times already and it works great. One time to tow my truck and trailer - and one time to fix a flat on Renee's car at night.

Support motorcycling and get a great service.
    And don't forget their lobbying efforts to remove helmet laws!

Last edited by Garandman; 05-05-13 at 12:15 PM.

And don't forget their lobbying efforts to remove helmet laws!
    That's not a fair portrayal. They lobby for not making special rules for motorcyclists.

As I've said many times - it may not be perfect and align with every individual members likes, but it does way more good than harm.

If you haven't been a member in the last 8 years or so, you really should join and see what they are about now and the changes they've made.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post
    Tony - do you pay up front and then get reimbursed, or it it a paperwork-only excercise?

AAA renewal is up and am going to Progressive Roadside, unless AMA is comparable. Would prefer to go that way...
    No payments... just give them your membership number. Very easy.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but why wouldn't you want to join the American Motorcyclist Association and get towing for ANY vehicle you own... for you and your entire family?
    I'm an AMA life member and had their roadside assistance since they introduced the 'free with auto-renew' feature. I'd be an AMA member anyway, so I think of it as really being free because membership is $39 even without it. My wife and daughter have each used it once and the help was fast, free, and easy. Just make sure you have the current number to call in every vehicle. I haven't used it myself, but I'm reasonably sure you just sign off that you received the service - there's no payment/reimbursement process.

If the AMA's policy positions will influence your decision on whether to join, their key positions are -
    1) support for enhanced penalties in cases where distracted driving contributed to crashes and/or injuries
    2) opposition to mandatory helmet laws for adults
    3) opposition to excessive motorcycle noise
    4) support for rider training
    5) support for responsible recreational use of public lands

The AMA is also in Washington fighting the 15% ethanol issue and other issues that affect motorcyclists. I agree with most of their positions and I believe motorcyclists need a strong advocacy group because there's no shortage of people in power who either don't like or just have no interest at all in motorcycles and motorcycling.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

I asked because I went round and round with AAA SNE which covers MA, RI and CT and they have no plan that covers bikes at all. Some other regions do cover them under an enhanced RV plan, but it seems to be $100 a year or more.
    I joined AMA but kept AAA becuase of all the discounts on renta cars, hotels etc.
    I stalled out last year and called AAA. They said they don't tow bikes. I asked if there was a specific plan or option I needed to purchase in the future, and they said they simply don't do it. Called AMA Roadside and they were ready to go. And IIRC, AMA will tow you 35mi for free, while AAA is only 3mi. And AMA will do the car too. And I get the magazine

Turned out the stall was somehow caused by the fuel filter I'd recently installed, or the hose routing related to it. Removed it and never had a problem. Either that or a sticking tank tap.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

I carry the Stop & Go plug kit and a small compressor as well. I used to have a cheaper plug kit from autozone. But recently upgraded.

I also am an AMA member starting this year. Dad used to be a member and I finally got around to joining up. I happen to agree with their politics pretty much across the board, including the no helmet law thing. So the roadside is a bonus.

I wasn't aware of the Progressive option. Odd that they never tried to sell me that.
    I also didn't know my AMA plan covered my trailer. Neat.

Has anyone put any real thought into Progressive vs. the AMA plan? Honestly, seems like AMA is the way to go, but towing is my first priority.

Last edited by scottfromboston; 05-06-13 at 10:02 AM.
    ~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    The only flat I got was on location of a top secret road in northern NY, quite a ways from town. I rode the bike back to town (at the speed limit)(yeap, I'm nucking futs) and got a patch kit at aubuchons then road to the gas station to use the air hose. Had a beverage and was dragging knees again 15 mins later. I finally got to see a rope plug from the inside, the following year when that tire came off the bike.

CO2 cartridges are under pressure. Crazy pressure. I'm not sure leaving one under the tail on days like we've been having would be a good idea. The small pumps as mentioned before take awhile to inflate a bike tire, but I've seen them get the job done and the bike home

After having that flat a few years ago, I still don't carry a plug kit. Absolutely no room for it, unless I had the tank bag on.
    I had to do a shipping validation a few years ago that included C02 cartridges - this included extreme temperatures. No exploded, damaged, or inop cartridges. Nothing to worry about.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

We actually had a nail puncture yesterday on our group ride. It was one of the few rides where I didn't have my repair kit. Ray did have his kit (pic attached) which I found to be better than mine. The plugs go into the canister and then they are cranked in with the allen wrench. Seemed to work pretty well. I'm going to pick one up.

What if you get a flat?-5-5-12-flat-pic

Funny how all these years I've never carried one. This thread got me thinking, probably should invest in the slime compressor and a "plug kit". Anyone have any recommendations on a plug kit?

Lifer

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...ess-Tires.html

This is what I have. It is quite well regarded. I think that is what Mike pictured above in use too.

I added a cheap mini-compressor from autozone too. It fits under the seat with my toolkit on the 'strom. If you don't have that kind of space, they sell kits with CO2 inflators instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Funny how all these years I've never carried one. This thread got me thinking, probably should invest in the slime compressor and a "plug kit". Anyone have any recommendations on a plug kit?
    Especially now because you just jinxed yourself.

Shannon

The plug kits aren't just for the bike either. I pulled into a parking lot on Friday with my trailer and heard the dreaded hiss. I had picked up a roofing nail not too much prior to parking because I was able to get a plug in the tire with 35 psi left. It turned what would have been a crappy evening into an easy roadside fix.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    The plug kits aren't just for the bike either. I pulled into a parking lot on Friday with my trailer and heard the dreaded hiss. I had picked up a roofing nail not too much prior to parking because I was able to get a plug in the tire with 35 psi left. It turned what would have been a crappy evening into an easy roadside fix.
    Agreed. I've fixed and inflated more car tires than bike tires with the plugs and compressor under the seat on my bike.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast