Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Fork seal problems - gs500

Fork seal problems - gs500

I recently did the fork seals and bushings on my gs500 because the left side was leaky. left side leaking isn't too big of a deal, since gs500 only has a front right disk, but I figured I might as well do both sides and have it taken care of for good. Unfortunately, I noticed while out on a ride today that the right side has now developed a leak, even though it has a new fork seal, and didn't have a leak to start out with. I'm now in a worse place than I was when I started.... story of my life

Does anyone know the most common bone headed installation mistakes I could have made? I'm guessing I need to take everything back apart, maybe even a new fork seal

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

OEM seals or aftermarket?

AllBalls

Any chance you over filled the oil

At least try wiping the seal lip to get any possible dirt out

I have been successful using jb weld to fill in divots and sharpening stones to dress down dings

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Any chance you over filled the oil

At least try wiping the seal lip to get any possible dirt out

I have been successful using jb weld to fill in divots and sharpening stones to dress down dings
    It's not just possible, it may even be likely that I overfilled it. When I had the forks disassembled, I checked carefully for damage like that and the chrome is pretty clean.

I've done a few sets with All Balls and OEM and didn't have problems with either, but then again I've only done a few sets in my life.

Apart from overfilling, damaging the seal on install or getting any crud trapped in there would do it. Did you use a bullet and ringer?

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I've done a few sets with All Balls and OEM and didn't have problems with either, but then again I've only done a few sets in my life.

Apart from overfilling, damaging the seal on install or getting any crud trapped in there would do it. Did you use a bullet and ringer?
    I used a pvc pipe to drive the seal in... my memory is hazy, but I may have initially installed it upside down and had to flip it. I guess it could have been damaged during that process.

Supposing it was just overfilled, will that itself damage the seal or will it just weep until it is back to normal?

I feel like overfilling would just make them harder to compress, but if that were the cause it would probably be waaay overfilled and would leak a bit then stop.

If the seal was removed and reseated there's a good chance it was damaged. Either surface damage or more likely warped a bit - there is a metal ring inside the rubber seal and a small warp might leave a tiny enough gap to let the fluid escape.

If it's just weeping a tiny bit, it was my own bike, and I was feeling lazy... I might just wait a bit and see if it fixes itself lol. Otherwise if going to all the trouble to remove again maybe just grab an OEM seal and replace that side, then inspect the tube again real close.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I feel like overfilling would just make them harder to compress, but if that were the cause it would probably be waaay overfilled and would leak a bit then stop.

If the seal was removed and reseated there's a good chance it was damaged. Either surface damage or more likely warped a bit - there is a metal ring inside the rubber seal and a small warp might leave a tiny enough gap to let the fluid escape.

If it's just weeping a tiny bit, it was my own bike, and I was feeling lazy... I might just wait a bit and see if it fixes itself lol. Otherwise if going to all the trouble to remove again maybe just grab an OEM seal and replace that side, then inspect the tube again real close.
    Yeah I'm going to clean it all real well this weekend, see if it continues to be an issue. All the oem I can find are listed as NOS, which is why I went aftermarket. Probably they are fine though

Dunno where you're looking, but OEM oil seals for GS500E/F are easy to get new?

Wouldn't OEM be to old to trust?

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

That's exactly why I didn't get oem in the first place, the places I saw it listed them as new old stock. The bike hasnt been built for 10 years so I guess it makes sense...

The bike is still in production as of 2016, and it's not the only bike out there running 30mm forks.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

for the cost, get a sealmate and just try it... worse case it doesn't work... Could save ya some time if its just some crud... Worked for my old gsxr and for another friends bike too...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Techincally you mean OE, not OEM. OEM could have been made yesterday.

nedirtriders.com

Before you buy a Sealmate, try 35mm film if you have any or thin plastic shimstock can work as well.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Every 15k like clockwork the fork seals in my ZZr1200 fail,, getting damn sick of it, i have never done seals myself but am tired of throwing $$$ at the stealership. any special tools needed?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    Every 15k like clockwork the fork seals in my ZZr1200 fail,, getting damn sick of it, i have never done seals myself but am tired of throwing $$$ at the stealership. any special tools needed?
    Fork oil tool makes things a lot easier, but not necessary.

And a seal driver is also really helpful. The one linked is just a random size. You'll have to find out what size is correct for your fork. I resisted buying one these and did several seal changes without one. Bought one recently and should have done it sooner. Without one, you have to come up with a way to pound the seal in without damaging it, and it ends up being a bit of a process to cautiously seat it with whatever hacky solution is being used. The seal driver is just a quick slam or two and it's in.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by me109g4 View Post
    do those have cartridges in them? that would require a special tool

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Not sure on the cartridges,, i have the factory manual which isnt the greatist as the translation to english is poorly done.

Yes, it has a cartridge in it, I was going to do it myself but the factory manual doesnt show how to do the later forks, just the early ones which dont have the rebound damper. I wasnt feeling brave so i took it to Trick racing in Winchendon, had them back in a couple of days. I did drain the old oil out after removal, the oil really stunk badly, looked like engine oil that was never changed for 100K. I think the oil just ate the seals so from now on fork oil will be changed a lot more frequently.Was thinking of maybe putting a drain hole in the bottom of the fork, might save having to remove the forks just to change the oil.

Last edited by me109g4; 05-25-20 at 02:12 PM.