Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Fork seal problems - gs500

  1. #1

    Fork seal problems - gs500


    I recently did the fork seals and bushings on my gs500 because the left side was leaky. left side leaking isn't too big of a deal, since gs500 only has a front right disk, but I figured I might as well do both sides and have it taken care of for good. Unfortunately, I noticed while out on a ride today that the right side has now developed a leak, even though it has a new fork seal, and didn't have a leak to start out with. I'm now in a worse place than I was when I started.... story of my life

    Does anyone know the most common bone headed installation mistakes I could have made? I'm guessing I need to take everything back apart, maybe even a new fork seal

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,444

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    OEM seals or aftermarket?

    0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

  3. #3

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    AllBalls

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,222

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Any chance you over filled the oil

    At least try wiping the seal lip to get any possible dirt out

    I have been successful using jb weld to fill in divots and sharpening stones to dress down dings

    0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

    It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

  5. #5

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Any chance you over filled the oil

    At least try wiping the seal lip to get any possible dirt out

    I have been successful using jb weld to fill in divots and sharpening stones to dress down dings
    It's not just possible, it may even be likely that I overfilled it. When I had the forks disassembled, I checked carefully for damage like that and the chrome is pretty clean.

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,333

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    I've done a few sets with All Balls and OEM and didn't have problems with either, but then again I've only done a few sets in my life.

    Apart from overfilling, damaging the seal on install or getting any crud trapped in there would do it. Did you use a bullet and ringer?

    0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  7. #7

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I've done a few sets with All Balls and OEM and didn't have problems with either, but then again I've only done a few sets in my life.

    Apart from overfilling, damaging the seal on install or getting any crud trapped in there would do it. Did you use a bullet and ringer?
    I used a pvc pipe to drive the seal in... my memory is hazy, but I may have initially installed it upside down and had to flip it. I guess it could have been damaged during that process.

    Supposing it was just overfilled, will that itself damage the seal or will it just weep until it is back to normal?

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,333

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    I feel like overfilling would just make them harder to compress, but if that were the cause it would probably be waaay overfilled and would leak a bit then stop.

    If the seal was removed and reseated there's a good chance it was damaged. Either surface damage or more likely warped a bit - there is a metal ring inside the rubber seal and a small warp might leave a tiny enough gap to let the fluid escape.

    If it's just weeping a tiny bit, it was my own bike, and I was feeling lazy... I might just wait a bit and see if it fixes itself lol. Otherwise if going to all the trouble to remove again maybe just grab an OEM seal and replace that side, then inspect the tube again real close.

    0 Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  9. #9

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I feel like overfilling would just make them harder to compress, but if that were the cause it would probably be waaay overfilled and would leak a bit then stop.

    If the seal was removed and reseated there's a good chance it was damaged. Either surface damage or more likely warped a bit - there is a metal ring inside the rubber seal and a small warp might leave a tiny enough gap to let the fluid escape.

    If it's just weeping a tiny bit, it was my own bike, and I was feeling lazy... I might just wait a bit and see if it fixes itself lol. Otherwise if going to all the trouble to remove again maybe just grab an OEM seal and replace that side, then inspect the tube again real close.
    Yeah I'm going to clean it all real well this weekend, see if it continues to be an issue. All the oem I can find are listed as NOS, which is why I went aftermarket. Probably they are fine though

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,444

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Dunno where you're looking, but OEM oil seals for GS500E/F are easy to get new?

    0 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

  11. #11
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,222

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Wouldn't OEM be to old to trust?

    0 Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

    It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

  12. #12

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Wouldn't OEM be to old to trust?
    That's exactly why I didn't get oem in the first place, the places I saw it listed them as new old stock. The bike hasnt been built for 10 years so I guess it makes sense...

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    41
    Posts
    12,444

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    The bike is still in production as of 2016, and it's not the only bike out there running 30mm forks.

    1 Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Backed by Heroic Racing Apparel
    A-ko - 1992 FZR400RR SP / Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / Facade - 2003 YZF-R6 / 2000 LS650P

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    128

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    for the cost, get a sealmate and just try it... worse case it doesn't work... Could save ya some time if its just some crud... Worked for my old gsxr and for another friends bike too...

    1 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Wouldn't OEM be to old to trust?
    Techincally you mean OE, not OEM. OEM could have been made yesterday.

    0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

  16. #16
    Satans Donkey Uncle Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central VT
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,718

    Re: Fork seal problems - gs500

    Before you buy a Sealmate, try 35mm film if you have any or thin plastic shimstock can work as well.

    0 Not allowed!
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •