Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rough riding, fuel gone bad?

Rough riding, fuel gone bad?

I took my 2000 R6 around the block and it's running really strange. I can't put my finger on it but it sounds louder than normal and rougher, and it doesn't have it's usual power, and runs a little rough, I'll give it throttle and it will hesitate. Then the oil pressure light would go on. I'd pull over, then the light would go off. Then I'd start opening up the throttle and the oil pressure light came on again. This happened all in a 5 min ride. If there was something severe I didn't want to keep riding so I turned around and went straight home. At idle the bike sounds totally normal. I haven't touched it since the last track day which as June 18th. Today is July 14th, so just about a month. It is a carbureted bike I'm thinking the gas went bad! I literally have not touched it until today since June 18th. Today I bled the brakes and changed the coolant. Does hot weather speed up gas going bad especially with all the humidity we've been having? If so, how do I fix it, clean out the carbs? Big job!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Rough riding, fuel gone bad?

Oil level could be slightly low from flogging on the bike at the track. My R6 does this on occasion.

As for the running funny, it could be bad gas. Easiest thing to do if you still have a lot of gas in it would be to throw in some octane boost to somewhat take care of the remainder of what's left. If your gas is less than half a tank, just go top it off with high test. Or you could drain the tank and refill with new gas, but this is the hardest option as it requires disassembly of the bike.

Re: Rough riding, fuel gone bad?

I checked the oil and it seemed like it was the right level, I don't think it's burning oil, any indications or signs to look for if it is burning oil?

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

David. I got your message. I'll call you tomorrow.