Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

help setting steering straight

help setting steering straight

It happened again, came out bike was tipped on its side, def someone backed into it. Minor damage, handlebar needs to be replaced, already ordered it and steering needs adjusting as it is a little off. I searched and wasn't able to find any step by step on how to and am not 100% confident about it. Since I like to learn and love to work on my bike, does anyone have any suggestions or maybe willing to help while I learn, ( don't mind paying for your time) I need to be back on 2 wheels

EDIT with pics

wheel pointing straight

triple set straight

Last time bike ended up on the ground, steering was crooked just like now and no parts were replaced just adjusted by dealership so I am hoping it is adjustable and won't have to spend $$$ on more parts, haven't had the chance to loosen anything yet beside taking off handlebar, Thanks for responses guys,

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 7UPyours; 06-21-14 at 09:36 PM.

Re: help setting steering straight

If the wheel is pointing in a different direction than the triple, you could have problems...

It is possible that a fork leg or both fork legs are bent (or possibly, but less likely the axle). All 3 should be checked for runout.

Best case (if indeed the wheel is pointing a different direction) stuff is "bound up". Remove from wheel and whatever calipers are necessary. Loosen both the upper and lower triple clamps for both fork legs to "free" them (in some cases you may have to do this to even get the axle out and remove the wheel). This means you'll need to reset your fork height, but if stuff is pointed in opposite directions that's not the worst case.

Last edited by jasnmar; 06-21-14 at 08:40 AM. Reason: To be technically correct with the plurality of the term fork(s)

im away from the bike now but did end up riding it home last night. Just looking at it last night, wheel and forks seem to be straight to the naked eye that is and I am no expert. Handlebar is what seems to be off on the triple, will snap a pic of it tonight/ tomorrow. Last time when this happened guy at the dealership said he just needed to adjusted it so this is what I am hoping for now as well.

The only real "adjustment" there that I'm aware of is adjusting the fork legs (vertically) in the triple. There isn't a "triple rotation adjustment" of any sort.

If the bars are borked that will certainly make it "feel" funny and is a (relatively) easy fix.

I know it is a best practice when you tip over "at speed" to loosen and re-tighten the triple clamps. I assume that would apply to being knocked over as well?

It is really hard to tell visually if things are straight. There are methods of measuring, but I lack tools or knowledge to do so.

Keep in mind I'm not an expert, but do like to wrench on my own stuff. What I would do:
    Replace handlebars.
    Get the front wheel off the ground. Make sure it is spinning freely (if not report back).
    Loosen the pinch bolts. Is the axle reasonably easy and consistent to turn? (if not report back).
    Tighten the pinch bolts again.
    Loosen the upper and lower triple on the left.
    Tighten the upper and lower triple on the left.
    Loosen the upper and lower triple on the right.
    Tighten the upper and lower triple on the right.
    Make sure nothing slide "out" of the upper triple clamp.

Make sure everything is nice and tight. Find a section of straight, flat road. Center yourself on the bike and release the bars (while riding). Is is pulling either way? (if yes report back).

If all of that checks out and nothing feels funny when riding I'd probably ride it.

If you want to be really sure, http://www.computrackboston.com/.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jasnmar; 06-21-14 at 08:38 AM. Reason: To be technically correct with the plurality of the term fork(s)

My bike got knocked over once with the old handlebar setup. The bar got pushed over about 1/4" in its clamps. You could see the alignment marks on the bar that were normally hidden by the clamps.

motorcycle(s) have fork(s)

one motorcycle has one fork

1fork noun \ˈfȯrk\
    : a small tool with two or more pointed parts (called prongs or tines) used for picking up and eating food

: a garden tool with two or more prongs used for lifting and digging soil

: a place where something (such as a road or river) divides into two parts

Full Definition of FORK

: an implement with two or more prongs used especially for taking up (as in eating), pitching, or digging
    : a forked part, tool, or piece of equipment
    a : a division into branches or the place where something divides into branches
    b : confluence
    : one of the branches into which something forks
    : an attack by one chess piece (as a knight) on two pieces simultaneously
    — fork·ful noun

Examples of FORK

a fork in the road
    the north fork of the river
    the front fork of a bicycle

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

a little update, so the forks just ended up being twisted in the clamps, after a little adjustment it appears things are back to where they were. I appreciate your responses and I won't know if everything is kosher till the handlebar gets here. will report back