Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Gas Cap

Gas Cap

My key will not open my gas cap lid! How do I get it apart, I am going to change it out with a screw on type at this point. I am not worried about someone stealing my gas anyways!

Help!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Gas Cap

Can you get the key down into the slot all the way, and the lock itself wont turn...like it feels frozen? If you can get the key in, try putting it in half way, so that the little slide panel moves over a bit, then try spraying a small amount of WD40 down inside the mechanism. You can even spray some WD40 on the key itself and insert it and then try turning the key...do it slowly so you don't snap it off in the lock. Hope this helps.

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

Add downward pressure with your thumb on the leading edge of the cap while working the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericthejet View Post
    Add downward pressure with your thumb on the leading edge of the cap while working the key.
    +1

If the little wafers inside got stuck use some PB blaster, don't over soak it, as someone else here will have to tell you if the stuff will run into your gas tank.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

some graphite spray will help. spray it in the lock.
    and with gas prices skyrocketing...i would worry about someone stealing your gas.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Awesome guys will try some, used 3 in 1 oil, cause thats what they had at gas station when this happened. Almost had to figure out how to get in touch with stoneman, since I was 40 miles from home in Alton when dummy light came on and tried to gas up, guess the old baby got 45 mpg since I made it home, with me and the GF on it, and 2gether we are no light ride, saddle bags and all we were on our way to a overnight trip