Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GAS W/WATER

GAS W/WATER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 636 Was Left Out In The Rain This Weekend. And It Has Rained Most Of The Weekend. .

I Went To Start The Bike This Morning And It Was Making A High Pitch Sound... Almost Like I High Pitch Winding Sound...

Then About After A Minute Of Running The Rpms Dropped From The Idle POINT And It Stalled Out. Now It Wont Start..

Ive Noticed If I Get Caught In The Rain Or Fuel Up After Its Been Raining Theres Rain ThAT Gets Into My Gas Cap And Drips In The Tank A Bit..

What Happens When Water Mixes With Fuel???

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: GAS W/WATER

The 10% ethanol that's in pump gas these days will absorb a lot of water and you just end up burning it. If the water volume is higher than the ethanol can absorb, or atmospheric changes/time make the ethanol less able to hold water, you will get phase separation and the water will come out of suspension and collect in the lowest part of the tank. That's bad.

I like my cool old bike. Ericthejet's Avatar

Water does not mix with fuel.
    Water is heavier than fuel.
    Your fuel pickup usually does not sit at the lowest point of the gas tank.

if you think you have water in the tank, buy a can of dry gas.

It is usually about a pint or so in size and its just a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. It will bind with the water and I believe turn into ETOH, (ethyl alcohol) and allow your bike to burn it off without any problems.

I would be careful as to how much you put in because a whole pint bottle is usually for an entire tank of gas for a car. this may help you out.

Lifer

If you think you have water in the gas - drain it out and run it through the mower. Better safe then sorry.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

THANKS FOR THE INPUT!

I PICKED UP A BOTTLE OF K100, GASOLINE STABILIZER..

SHOP RECOMENDED.

SEPERATES THE MOLICULES IN THE WATER SO IT CAN BE BURNED.
    HALF THE BOTTLE AS SOON AS I GET HOME.. LET IT SIT OVERNIGHT TO MIX AND SINK TO THE BOTTOM. THEN START IT TOMORROW IF IT RUNS TAKE A RIDE, FILL IT WITH GAS AND EMPTY THE REST OF THE BOTTLE IN.

HOPE IT WORKS.

Take your life in your own hands, and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame.

now it wont even turn over!!

Sell it to me.

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by mosc View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 636 Was Left Out In The Rain This Weekend. And It Has Rained Most Of The Weekend. .

I Went To Start The Bike This Morning And It Was Making A High Pitch Sound... Almost Like I High Pitch Winding Sound...

Then About After A Minute Of Running The Rpms Dropped From The Idle POINT And It Stalled Out. Now It Wont Start..

Ive Noticed If I Get Caught In The Rain Or Fuel Up After Its Been Raining Theres Rain ThAT Gets Into My Gas Cap And Drips In The Tank A Bit..

BACK AWAY FROM THE SHIFT BUTTON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mosc View Post

This is a VERY DANGEROUS situation. I would back away slowly and
    then RUN.

No seriously... best thing to do, dont waste time with all these additives that say they rid you of water... find the hose from the gas tank maybe near the petcock if you have one... put an empty solvent safe container under it...and drain the tank... maybe have to drain the carb floats if its not fuel injected... fill it with new gas... recharge your battery, try again... bet 5 bucks it'll turn over and start!

use the old stuff to start some fires!

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

PROBLEM SOLVED!:

flush the fuel system, clean the intake, new sparks and fresh fuel!

apperently they were saying it was pretty damn close to a 30:70, water:fuel mix...

stay away from the saint albans bay store gas station.

also it wasnt helping the drain vavle insine the gas cap was clogged and most of the rain run off was draining into the tank!

all is okay, the bike is a champ and we pulled through!

i used the k100 stuff on my old F3 and it helped for storage and making it run smoother at idle. Don't htink it would fix a 30:70 water to fuel ratio though, lol.

Current:
    00 Aprilia RSV-R

Past:
    06 R6
    05 R6
    97 Honda F3