Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Securing heated grips

Securing heated grips

You have to buy a standard Honda Grip kit, then an installstion kit for the specific bike. After receiving both, one learns that the “08712-0001 CEMENT, HANDGRIP (American Honda)” is not included.

The adhesive on the old grips appears to be a typical rubber adhesive. So I’d just use one: except regular epoxy has not held up for the HotGrips on the Triumph. The wide range of temps and localized heating seems to break down the bond.

Going to stop by Bettencourt today and see if they have it in stock. But if not, anyone use something that holds up for multiple seasons?

The install instructions call for lubing the bars with Isopropyl alcohol to allow them to slide on. Will that work with standard adhesives?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Securing heated grips

I had heating elements under my grips on the v-strom. The hairspray trick worked just fine for me. Never used any special adhesive on any motorcycle I've owned.

Could also go the dirt/track bike route and secure with safety wire once installed, ensure they do not loosen up.

When I did the grips on my FJR, I discovered the left hand and the right hand used two different grips as the throttle barrel was a larger diameter. The throttle barrel was also plastic, the left bar steel. Being in the heat transfer business, I couldn't leave well enough alone so I wrapped the left bar with a piece of sch10 pvc pipe that I slit so I could tighten it on the handlebar, in hopes it would add a small amount of thermal insulation between the heater and the heat sucking steel bar. That plastic was attached with 3M trim adhesive spray. I installed the heaters as specified, then I installed the grips. The original plan was to buy a right hand grip for the left side to fit over the now larger diameter grip. It was really expensive. So I heated the original and jammed it over the bar/heater. I gave each grip a couple shots of adhesive up under the grip with the 3M. I figured they were so hard to get on/off they didn't need much help in staying in place.
    I don't know if the small amount of plastic helped much, couldn't hurt. Compared to a different bike I had with heated grips which always left the left grip cooler than the right, it seemed to help. 14k miles under her belt and the grips never budged, and my hands never went numb from the cold. And with my carpal tunnel and slight arthritis, I ran the heaters a bunch.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Are the heater elements in the grips themselves (like oxfords) or are you putting regular grips back over the flexible plastic heating elements??

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Banned

WD40. It lubes the bars for grip installation, then sets like superglue in a couple of hours.

I was skeptical the first time, but its all I use now. From memory, Bettencourt's does have grip glue in stock.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

High maintenance priss

You can also try compressed air; makes it very easy to slide the grip. Just jam the air gun nozzle between the grip and tube on the side which faces the controls. The shot of air will expand the grip a bit and let you sneak it on it a few shots. If the heater element is glued on well (and dried) I don't think the air would cause a problem. I don't have issues w/ grips spinning without adhesive, but YMMV.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This grips are kind of interesting. The left grip has the switch integrated into it: pretty slick. I don’t know if the output is higher for the left bar to compensate for conduction: many are.

I’ll take a pic. They are molded rubber assemblies. The wiring is a little fiddly but there’s a connection unde4 the seat for the harness.

Just curious, how much do Honda OEM heated grips cost?
    The "under the grip" heating elements run $20-45. The oxford-type molded grips cost $60-90.
    The koso apollo grips have an integrated switch on the left grip and are about $115. These are what I would go with on a nice bike.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Just curious, how much do Honda OEM heated grips cost?
    With the harness kit, over $200. Which makes not including the necessary adhesive just that much more annoying.

After getting the parts unpacked, doesn’t look like it will matter what we use. The right grip is molded over a plastic tube and completely replaces the stock throttle tube so no adhesive is used. The throttle cable is installed into it. Of course the cable install and adjustment is not included in the assembly instructions....

The left side is a relatively tight fit. But there is no torque on the left side so anything should do. It is also a molded rubber piece, with the switch built in. That is one of the main reasons we bought them: there’s not a lot of room for the Oxford controller, and I don’t want my wife (a fairly new rider) to be having to look for a button and there wasn’t much available real estate.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-20-18 at 05:27 PM.

I forgot I had a pair of Koso/Oxford type grips in my basement - the grip adhesive that came in the box is just a small tube of no-name super glue, seriously. If the clutch side goes on tight, just use a rubber hammer to tap it on. I usually use hairspray when installing regular grips, but have used wd40 and isopropyl alcohol too.