Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GSX-R750 Electrical issues (2006)

GSX-R750 Electrical issues (2006)

Some of you might already know that I'm having electrical issues with my gixxer. It draws 1 Amp with the ignition turned off. The service manual says leakage current should be about 3 mA. I have been able to get the current "short?" to go away by unplugging the instrument cluster connector but that connector probably goes to the ECU and a bunch of other places on the bike. Toughest part is everything is working. If it was a wiring harness short, I'd think somewhere something wouldn't be getting proper voltage and therefore would not function but that isn't the case. Everything works fine if i charge the battery. It's not the charging system either since I checked the generator, rectifier and regulator yesterday before I realized there was too much leakage current.

The only electrical I've added is the Battery Tender connector in 2006. Nothing new since then.

Anybody have a clue what this might be?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: GSX-R750 Electrical issues (2006)

Gixxers are notorious for rectifire issues...ride it a bit and see if its real HOT, may have a short inside. Also there may be a load on the stator and its poss also shorting out...lot of the people who run LED, glove warmers Ect tend to put more strees on the coil then its really made for so it shorts and causes all kinds of weird symtoms.....or have you also tried swaping out batteries...as just a Dummy try....cause anything is poss with electric.

I have an extra gsxr battey if you want to use it....or need any help

I'll admit that I don't know much about electrical issues but I popped 2 battery tenders and my bike was having charging issues too. It turned out to be a bad battery tender connector that was shorting. When I tested the leads on the connector it was drawing about 1 Amp too. All I had to do was switch the connector and no more problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    Gixxers are notorious for rectifire issues...ride it a bit and see if its real HOT, may have a short inside. Also there may be a load on the stator and its poss also shorting out...lot of the people who run LED, glove warmers Ect tend to put more strees on the coil then its really made for so it shorts and causes all kinds of weird symtoms.....or have you also tried swaping out batteries...as just a Dummy try....cause anything is poss with electric.

I have an extra gsxr battey if you want to use it....or need any help
    Yup, swapped out the battery already. It worked while it was charged but with a 1 Amp draw overnight with the ignition off, it doesn't last.