Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

GSX-R750 Electrical Issues?

Question GSX-R750 Electrical Issues?

Bike:
    2005 GSX-R750

Background of issues:
    Previously I ran into issues with both my headlights (hi and lo beams) randomly turning off. I found this was related to the ignition button - this would either stick in the 'start' position rather than 'headlight on' position. Furthermore, the little black plate inside with the 4 metal nodes on it (which the button slides against for ignition and headlights) appears to be slightly malformed with one or two of the little metal nodes indented, causing the button to not make contact. I need to eventually switch this piece out.

Current issues:
    After parking in a friend's driveway for 20 minutes I went to start my bike and the entire instrument cluster was dead. I checked all the fuses and easily-accessible wire harnesses but no success. Today I took apart the whole front end to install some new blinkers and decided to take a look at the main wire harness under the left-side intake. I found if I squeeze the harness together (squeeze very hard) the gauges turned back on!
    I took the harness apart and found one of the wires is burnt out (?) (pictures attached). Has anyone had this happen before? I know next to nothing about the electricals - am I going to need to get a new harness or can I just trim the ends off the wire on each side of the harness and stick the wires back in? Also, I'm guessing this means there may be other issues - is it possible the failing start switch could have led to this?

GSX-R750 Electrical Issues?-photo-1-jpgGSX-R750 Electrical Issues?-photo-2-jpg

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: GSX-R750 Electrical Issues?

An electrician could fix that.

I've had that happen before on my 01 750 long ago. I'm most positive it's due to riding in the rain or leaving the bike out in the rain. Water gets in the harness and then it cooks. The pieces will come out of the harness, as they have releases. You need to solder new ones on (else the electricians of the board will bash you to no end). And it'll be good as new. use dielectric grease to reassemble, to keep water out.

Gotta wiring diagram / service manual? You could figure out exactly what that wire is for and go from there, but I'm gonna guess water got in it and shorted it

I would do this first and fig out why>>>> I know I have the maual on PDF and its on liquidgsxr.com also

Gotta wiring diagram / service manual? You could figure out exactly what that wire is for and go from there, but I'm gonna guess water got in it and shorted it

Then I would fix the issue and probably swap out the wire harness for another one. You prpbably have chafed or rubbed thru a wire and it shorted...but thats me. If you want a hand let me know as I love my GSXR's

Last edited by Pigman; 07-16-12 at 01:08 PM.

I had it happend to me on my 98 gsxr750. Head lite went out on a dark road it sucked... Some times the connectors get hot and burn the wire... I pulled the wire out and use butt end connectors and never had a problem for well over 4 seasons... Then i sold the bike and he still has no problem..

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle