Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Gumout for the carbs?

Gumout for the carbs?

Greetings ~

So I have had my bike for 3 years, no work done to the carbs in that time. Bike starts, runs and idles fine, but I know those carbs must be filthy.

I have plugs to change soon and while I have the tank off I was thinking of popping off the intake tubes and spraying the carbs...Is this a stupid idea?

Also, does anyone use the Gumout that goes in the gas tank to clean carbs? I would think one bottle would last 8 tanks...

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Steve -- The Bluesman

2004 Honda 599 Hornet

Lifer

Gumout for the carbs?

Spraying cleaner through the carbs won't get to the dirt. Anything that made it past your filter is in the float bowls waiting to clog jets. If you don't have a problem yet pouring cleaner in the tank will keep you from having problems in the future. Read the directions and mix appropriatly. I like to put the cleaner in before a long ride (entire taks worth) so it isn't sitting too long.

If you notice problems you will have to take the carbs out and clean them right. I ussually do stuff like this at the end of the season, makes the winter pass quicker. Hope this helps. Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Gumout for the carbs?

Your carbs should have bowl drains. Use them. Catch the fuel in a clean container and look for crud. Keep fliilng them and draining them until no crud comes out. You can pour the gas into your lawn mower through a coffee filter so it's not wasted. If the bike runs fine, this process will be all that's ever necessary.

Gumout for the carbs?

I wouldn't limit it to just opening the drains. I would take the whole setup apart and liberally spray everything. Take my word for it. Take everything apart and thoroughly clean them.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Gumout for the carbs?

Originally posted by Rye
    I wouldn't limit it to just opening the drains. I would take the whole setup apart and liberally spray everything. Take my word for it. Take everything apart and thoroughly clean them.
    I dunno, why bother if it's running fine? My owner's manual does not schedule cleaning the carbs as a maintenance item.