Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

F*%K!!! This ever happen to anyone?

Angry F*%K!!! This ever happen to anyone?

I was leaving work Friday and forgot one very important thing before I rolled out of my parking space.. the u-lock on my front disc. The bike stopped almost immediately and I had to set it down. Only scratched up the engine cover a little on the bottom.. no big deal. Riding home was a different story though.. I thought I might have warped a rotor but I'm not so sure.

Not really any issues except when I'm gradually applying pressure to the front brake at a low speed. I get a "bucking" feeling coming from the front. Is this what a warped rotor feels like? It reminds me of how my mountain bike would feel when the stem was loose at the neck.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Never had a warped rotor on a bike, but in a car a warped rotor is indicated by a pretty nasty vibration. I usually notice it most when I have to stop quickly at high speeds, but you can feel it in everyday driving if the warpage is bad enough. I suppose that could translate into a bucking feeling on two wheels at low speed, but I hesitate to think that what you did would cause a rotor to warp - those things are pretty effin stiff, and seeing as you were just leaving the rotor was ice cold - normally rotors warp when they're very hot (ie, putting the e-brake on after a lap session on a track would likely warp the rear rotor). I'd check out all the bolts down there, maybe you jarred something loose...

dam that sux....i never really use my disc lock , but i got one of those flourescent orange cords that attaches to your handlebars that gives a reminder its on there.

Def would have brakes checked...you don't want those not working correctly

yeah, i hope it's not the rotor.. someone told me it might be that the steering head bearings came loose.

Littering and........

Most likely a fucked up rotor. I dont think something like that would cause a steering head bearing to come loose.

basically, if the bars are vibrating abck and forth when you are on the brakes, you can pretty much count on your rotor being whacked.

So when are we meeting at Stonner's to swap it out?

Good question! Jay.. got any free time this weekend?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

to sove your disc lock problems... i usually put mine on so that when i move the bike i cant if the lock is in place. for example: if i have to back out when i leave i put the lock as close to the front of the forks as possible and as close to the caliper as i can if im gonna drive out. your other solution is a front brake lock then you CANT forget it. i know this has probably only happened once to you but its happened to all of us once and then we find a way to prevent it from happening again

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

How much T.I.R does the rotor in question have and how much is allowed in the manual? Check the runout before you throw down for a new rotor or two. Regards, Snake

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

hey uncle snake,

forgive my noobness, but what does TIR stand for?

Total indicator reading. Your manual will tell you how much t.i.r. is allowable. If you were closer I'd check it for you. If you want to pm me your # I can give you a call this afternoon and explain further. Regards, Jake

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Bent Rotor

I did the same thing years ago on my first bike, forgot about the krypto lock and slowly rolled forward to a sudden jerked stop.
    ..Anyways I bent my rotor, I got the front tire up in the air and was able to see the area that was bent. I was in college and on a tight budget so I wasn't gonna buy a new rotor. I just took a really large adjustable wrench and clamped it tight over the area warped and bent it back. It worked out fine even at highway speeds if I grabbed alot of front brake.
    Obviously I would suggest replacing the rotor.
    Sux...I know.

Chris
    LRRS Expert #160

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Originally posted by bump909
    hey uncle snake,

forgive my noobness, but what does TIR stand for?
    also known as Maximum Allowable Runout

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

thanks guys.. i'm going to look at a few things tonight. i'll let you know the outcome.

well, rotor is definitely bent.. i'm surprised i didn't notice before, but when i'm riding it i can see it wobbling, along with the caliper floating back and forth over the uneven surface of the rotor.

found a good ol deal on ebay.. hopefully i'll get it soon. sucks i've already missed some real nice riding weather.

Oh I did that with my YZF600 years back.... I was leaving a group of friends at a restuaruant and forgot the disk lock, did a stoppie and this was the cause of my bend rotor!

Changing out the rotor is easy. You obviously have to remove your whole fron twheel though. If you need any help or tools Bring it on over..

If your getting something of E-Bay besure it is new/ or Guaranteed to be straight. It could be someone scamming doing the same swap you are and you could end up with another bent rotor.. Becarefull ! Then if you buy from a dealer or distributor the cost is significant. Damned if you do, damned if you dont sort of thing....

Good luck,

mike

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

hey Mike, that's greatly appreciated man. I was bugging Stoneman to see if he could help me out this Sunday but Framingham is a much shorter drive.. you busy at all that day?

besides i think Stonner's still tied up assembling that playset.

A BIG thanks to Mike (Half Squid) for helping me replace my front right rotor yesterday. With his help we got it done very quickly. Thank you!

Finally I can ride again.. and use the front brake. Just in time for the humid weather with thundershowers.