Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Harbor Freight tools that DON'T suck

Re: Harbor Freight tools that DON'T suck

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    i mounted mine in a more useful spot, rather than near the compressor. bought a 25 foot hose and used it as a lead from the reel to the compressor
    Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Just pipe some tubing over to where you can mount the reel and leave the compressor where it is.
    I have that reel too. Been about 10 years and still works fine. I did have to re Teflon tape it maybe 6 years to stop a leak at the rotary valve but that's it
    thanks fellas...that's a good idea...i hate having to roll it up after when it's cold...it's like a cold garden hose...my garage is 2 bays...the compressor is stored at the back of the right bay...it has a horizontal tank, a handle and wheels and i will typically roll it around to where i need it...the outlet for it is on the right side of the right bay (only 240 outlet in the garage, old style with 1 horizontal prong 1 vertical prong and the ground)...i'd probably mount a reel in the center at the back of the garage and put my long hose on that...then just get a 25' hose like Jim said...i can disconnect the 25' hose and use it other places if needed...i have a similar reel mounted there now for my extension cords

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Point37; 02-02-23 at 02:40 PM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lifer

Anyone have experience with the US general brand of rolling tool boxes? I had ordered a big Milwaukee cart but I saw one today and I wasn't impressed what I was buying for the money. I looked at the usual suspect but I found them all lacking except for the harbor freight ones. They seemed better built and with a better layout than anything else I could find. I would like them to be able to handle a few decades of use. My old craftsman stacker is close to 40 years old and my husky stacker is pushing 20. I would keep them too but they are too small and dealing with two rolling stacked boxes is a pain in the balls.

I made a thread on rolling tool boxes: Rolling Tool Chest

my take away is the US General boxes are very well built and will last under heavy abuse. I went with Husky however for my basic homeowner use for its lower price point and convenience features like slow-close drawers.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by OneCheekRider; 02-02-23 at 07:47 PM.

Lifer

Word. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Point37 View Post
    thanks fellas...that's a good idea...i hate having to roll it up after when it's cold...it's like a cold garden hose...my garage is 2 bays...the compressor is stored at the back of the right bay...it has a horizontal tank, a handle and wheels and i will typically roll it around to where i need it...the outlet for it is on the right side of the right bay (only 240 outlet in the garage, old style with 1 horizontal prong 1 vertical prong and the ground)...i'd probably mount a reel in the center at the back of the garage and put my long hose on that...then just get a 25' hose like Jim said...i can disconnect the 25' hose and use it other places if needed...i have a similar reel mounted there now for my extension cords
    I had that reel in my old garage. Compressor was mounted in the loft and piped to the reel in-between the garage doors then I put in a few other connections around the garage. Fun project and worked great.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Can this thread include tools that do suck? HF won’t post my review or answer my customer service email so I’m venting here.

https://www.harborfreight.com/long-j...ece-58003.html

I bought this to pull a bunch of suspension bushings. Assembled it and the small pins that hold the jaws to the top mount don’t retain at all. The holes are too big and they slide in/fall out whenever gravity takes over.

Chased two of them across the floor during the first assembly and threw it back in the box. Definitely don’t have the patience to deal with that when actually trying to pull something. Returned and checked the other units, all had the same issue. Disappointing for the price.

Lifer

That's a known poor quality item. Maybe get a use or two out of it.

For what it's worth that's a tool I buy used and I buy old. Hopefully from the 60s or 70s. They can be practically free on eBay.

I’m not sure how “known” that is. I didn’t even know HF carried those tbh.

Lifer

There is a whole reddit on harbor freight tools. That comes up almost as much as the cordless power tools they sell.

There is a whole reddit on harbor freight tools. That comes up almost as much as the cordless power tools they sell.
    I couldn’t find any reviews of it since it’s a new product other than the HF site reviews (which I now know are filtered). I’ve had good luck with Icon in general and was excited about the versatility of this one since it’s so big. Bummer.

the 72" toolbox i went is on sale for $1499 now. ends today and i just saw it. looks like the cheapest it's been in 6 months was $1399 for black friday. this sale looks like it's a "clearing space for new items" sale. hopefully they dont drop the 72" box for something else.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

They are upgrading to gen 3 stuff. That icon box you want is gen 2. I briefly entertained buying one but it's really overkill for me. They haven't clearanced it yet so it's not discountinued but it soon will be. There are videos on YouTube of the gen 3 boxes for you to compare. I'm probably going to go with one of the Yukon or US general 44" boxes. I just haven't decided. Most of those are on sale today as well.

They are upgrading to gen 3 stuff. That icon box you want is gen 2. I briefly entertained buying one but it's really overkill for me. They haven't clearanced it yet so it's not discountinued but it soon will be. There are videos on YouTube of the gen 3 boxes for you to compare. I'm probably going to go with one of the Yukon or US general 44" boxes. I just haven't decided. Most of those are on sale today as well.
    i want the 72" US Gen, not Icon

EX 105

just saw some videos. the power drawer i can live without. i really like the full latch for the drawers though. not sure if that's worth the extra cost over getting a Gen 2 on sale

EX 105

Lifer

i want the 72" US Gen, not Icon
    Ah, my bad. Everything else still applies.
    I'm no fan of the latch lock on the gen 2s I played with. Seems like over kill for me. I would probably take them off.
    Look up some hacks for the box you want. It may change your mind. There are a lot of little hidden things the average person wouldn't think.

I have no complaints with the latches on my...I think it's a gen 1?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Lifer

Anyone have experience with the US general brand of rolling tool boxes? I had ordered a big Milwaukee cart but I saw one today and I wasn't impressed what I was buying for the money. I looked at the usual suspect but I found them all lacking except for the harbor freight ones. They seemed better built and with a better layout than anything else I could find. I would like them to be able to handle a few decades of use. My old craftsman stacker is close to 40 years old and my husky stacker is pushing 20. I would keep them too but they are too small and dealing with two rolling stacked boxes is a pain in the balls.
    I ended up getting the pimp slate gray and black 5 drawer tool car from US general and added the side tray. It's a beefy unit and seems to be well built. I'm not crazy about the drawer locking system but it may grow on me. I hydroturfed the top surfaces to keep part from sliding on them. The whole unit is substantially heavier than the husky system it replaced.

so i'm going to get a 73" US General toolbox. they're marked down to $1500 now as they're clearing out space for the new gen models coming in May or later. I do really like the full length locking mechanism on the upcoming gen. problem is i dont know if/when those would go on sale and what these new ones will go for, and if i should pull the trigger on this current version or wait for the new ones

EX 105

so i'm going to get a 73" US General toolbox. they're marked down to $1500 now as they're clearing out space for the new gen models coming in May or later. I do really like the full length locking mechanism on the upcoming gen. problem is i dont know if/when those would go on sale and what these new ones will go for, and if i should pull the trigger on this current version or wait for the new ones

also if you're good with a mallet and don't care about dings and dents, grab one cheap and have them ship it to the store
    https://www.harborfreight.com/scratch-and-dent-sale

Looking at impact screwdrivers (the type you hit with a hammer)

HF has this one for $10
    https://www.harborfreight.com/6-bit-...ase-64812.html

and this one for $40
    https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...ece-58151.html

Amazon has a bunch in the $20-30 range as well

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    I’ve had it. There’s never additional discounts for anything I want to buy.

Getting another power washer this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EX 105

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    also if you're good with a mallet and don't care about dings and dents, grab one cheap and have them ship it to the store
    https://www.harborfreight.com/scratch-and-dent-sale
    Nice, didn’t know these existed. Looks like only Icon boxes on there though.

EX 105

I’ve had it. There’s never additional discounts for anything I want to buy.

Getting another power washer this weekend.

tada

Harbor Freight tools that DON'T suck-image_2023-03-31_105223982-jpg