Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Harbor Freight tools that DON'T suck

Re: Harbor Freight tools that DON'T suck

maybe a scooter variator too.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I'm really happy with my 44" tool boxes, air stapler, wheel chock, and 1/2" telescopic ratchet.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I'm really happy with my... air stapler, wheel chock...
    +1 on both of those.

Hyper

It's amazing in a day and age where everyone complains about jobs leaving, that we're all still willing to shop at Harbor Freight and Walmart.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    i've heard they scratch the shit out of everything, but mojo blocks/bars work well to bring it up to something decent, never used one myself tho:

Apache Tomcat/6.0.24 - Error report

edit: looking closer at the mojo bar i'd probably buy a nomar bar.
    I have this tire changer with the Mojo blocks and NoMar bar. It works well and fast. I've mounted tires on multiple wheels that I've powder coated and there wasn't a mark left on any of them. The long red bar that comes with the HF changer will definitely scratch up your wheels, so make the investment and get the NoMar bar. Well worth the money and it paid for itself pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    It's amazing in a day and age where everyone complains about jobs leaving, that we're all still willing to shop at Harbor Freight and Walmart.
    Not everyone is complaining, most are adapting and evolving. I always encourage people to learn valuable skills that cannot be off-shored or outsourced, and that advice has worked very well for those that heeded it. Some of the young folks that heeded my career advice have become: a land surveyor, a mechanic, a dental hygienist, teachers, a chef, a plumber, and a college professor. No one in America should want a factory job making stuff like Harbor Freight sells, that would be a terrible career choice, even if the economy was booming.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'm not sure how many of these tools can be bought that are made in America. I know Lenox is one of the last American blade companies, and you are hit or miss on which ones are made where. Most of the hand tools are overseas, is Craftsman still US?

I bought a set of punches at HF the other day, was in a bind. Trashed one of the little ones quickly, bent and sheared off the tip. Chipped the pointy end on the bigger flat blade whacking a rusty bolt. And I'm just a little guy with a little hammer. Thinking a larger person with a mini-sledge would destroy this set quickly. So my advice, but good safety glasses with this set, you should wear them.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggeywackyo View Post
    Have you met the average voter?

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I'm not sure how many of these tools can be bought that are made in America. I know Lenox is one of the last American blade companies, and you are hit or miss on which ones are made where. Most of the hand tools are overseas, is Craftsman still US?
    I believe Craftsman tools have been made in Taiwan for many years now. To be fair, there are only a handful of actual tool manufacturers, so the same company may very well make (for example) Craftsman and Snap-On in the same facility.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post

I believe Craftsman tools have been made in Taiwan for many years now. To be fair, there are only a handful of actual tool manufacturers, so the same company may very well make (for example) Craftsman and Snap-On in the same facility.
    True however tolerances / quality control, materials, .... ect can vary

Myself personally only have three things from HF the tool cart for the track, an air hose, and those plastic socket trays.

I use my tools a lot and I have a buy once cry once mentality so I tend to avoid HF. It helps that I have a cousin who can grab me snap on / matco tools for decent cash deals though

Last edited by MFChop; 02-28-17 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFChop View Post
    True however tolerances, quality control, materials, ect can vary...

Myself personally only have three things from HF the tool cart for the track, an air hose, and those plastic socket trays.

I use my tools a lot and I have a buy once cry once mentality
    Oh, sure, I agree that there is a difference in quality between tool brand. What I was trying to point out was, the tool-manufacturing industry is very consolidated to the point where many brands are made in the same place by the same people -- just to different specifications.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Agreed

Their 1/2" Earthquake XT pneumatic impact wrench is a great performer and huge value at only $149 before coupons. I haven't had any issues with it using 1/4" fittings but it comes alive with 3/8" fittings and 1/2" hose. It likes a lot of air.

1/2 in. Composite Xtreme Torque Air Impact Wrench

"...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    Their 1/2" Earthquake XT pneumatic impact wrench is a great performer and huge value at only $149 before coupons. I haven't had any issues with it using 1/4" fittings but it comes alive with 3/8" fittings and 1/2" hose. It likes a lot of air.

1/2 in. Composite Xtreme Torque Air Impact Wrench
    I got the same one for Christmas. It's powerful. It does like air, but no more than the POS Craftsman one I was using before this.

I'm also rocking the impact extensions, which seem to be holding up great for the price.

4 Pc 1/2 in. Drive Impact Socket Extension Set

I've had this for the last 4? or so years at work, still works great. Only thing that doesn't work anymore is the pistons to open the tool box lid. You have to assist with your hand to get it to lift up, but it will stay up once it's there.

30 in. 5 Drawer Glossy Red Tool Cart

I also have had this welding helmet for 3 or 4 years now. Works great every time.

Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with Blue Flame Design

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    You have to assist with your hand to get it up, but it will stay up once it's there.
    You seem so young to have such a challenge.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    You seem so young to have such a challenge.
    You win the internet today

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I tool shop exclusively and unapologetically at HF. It's so damn cheap, 9 minutes away on I-95 and never really had anything fail. But I don't depend on my tools to make a living, I think they're fine for most regular humans.

Also it's so weird how just when you think it's their last Big Blowout Sale they miraculously have another one the next weekend.

That said, they have the most weak ass batteries money can buy. I mean, they're basically free, but I don't even think it's worth it.

I've been hankering for a welder for quite some time and might buy their cheap $90 unit. Just to learn on and do some basic stuff. Anyone try it?

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

Totally forgot about the excellent performance of my HF auto-darkening welding helmet. I love that thing.

My HF tire changer works well too. I have used it to change well over 200 tires (52 on one motorcycle alone) over the last 17 years. I'd estimate that between my two trailers and my friend's trailers I've changed more than 60 trailer tires. I also maintain five 4-wheeled street vehicles (three of which have a full set of winter tires and full set of summer tires) for my wife and I, and our two young adult children, so the savings of dealing with tire changing at home is tremendous. Great workout too...

My HF tire changer works well too. I have used it to change well over 200 tires
    I absolutely have to start doing this...

Quote Originally Posted by Tekime View Post
    I tool shop exclusively and unapologetically at HF. It's so damn cheap, 9 minutes away on I-95 and never really had anything fail. But I don't depend on my tools to make a living, I think they're fine for most regular humans.

I hear what you're saying, but imo the tolerances of their wrenches and sockets is poor enough for me to usually stay away. I'm finding that too often the metal used to make many of the bolts on bikes is crappy and an ill fitting tool (made with equally cheap metal) will round them off too easily...

Hyper

Lifer

I don't have any problems with the HF socket sets I have. Most of my normal sized stuff (6-19mm) is not HF. But my large 1/2" drive set (20-32mm) set is and has been fantastic.

I've been hankering for a welder for quite some time and might buy their cheap $90 unit. Just to learn on and do some basic stuff. Anyone try it?
    Give you mine for $50. It works, but not quite at the level I need a welder for. I've probably got 20 minutes total on the thing.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I don't have any problems with the HF socket sets I have. Most of my normal sized stuff (6-19mm) is not HF. But my large 1/2" drive set (20-32mm) set is and has been fantastic.
    Hmmm, maybe the 1/2 drive stuff is better made, the 3/8 drive set I got my brother was really crappy. And the wrenches, yikes!!!

Hyper

The quality of their sockets (that are not sold in those cheap sets that include crappy ratchets) has improved dramatically compared to what they used to sell.

The quality of their sockets (that are not sold in those cheap sets that include crappy ratchets) has improved dramatically compared to what they used to sell.
    Well that's some good info!

Hyper

I haven't used their cheapo welder but I had work purchase their "expensive" MIG welder ($259.) For the down and dirty it does a good job. I've only used it as a flux core welder so far so I can't comment on how well the shielding system works. I've tried my best to break it (dramatically exceeding the duty cycle) and it keeps on going. It doesn't do very well with thin gauge metal, so you know the current control is a bit shoddy. Also, the welding gun is fairly chintzy. With the $99 unit, you will be limited to 3/16" thick stock and I expect it does even worse than mine on the thin stuff.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Avoid their vibratory parts tumbler, it is not built to run for very long. I'll be shopping Cabellas for my next one.