Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

fjr1300 abs problems

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

fjr1300 abs problems

I brought my FJR1300 2004abs in for a large service including brake fluid change. When I got it back the abs for the brakes did not work. Razee's was told by yamaha to bleed the fluid again. It still doesnt work? wtf They have had my bike in to fix it for over a week and I don't think they have a clue. Anyone hear of this problem or know of a fix? I am starting to get a bit pissssssssssssed

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha lover

Re: fjr1300 abs problems

Trust me, work with them at Razee's. ANY issue that I have had was resolved. Maybe give Yamaha a call and see what they say to you. But, I wouldnt see Gill lying about anything.

I have bought many bikes at Razee's. I am having Manny price a trade for that brand new 2010 if he takes mine in trade. The bad news is he just took one in for $4,800 with much less mileage and my bike is great except for the brake problem. So I am crossing my fingers that it will be a yamaha repair cause I will not pay for a replacement unit that cost $1k and the bike is great except for the abs problem now. Once you get used to abs in the rain you get spoiled. Has anyone else had to replace an abs unit after the brakes were bled?

Yamaha lover

Its my opinion that if you just street ride then changing the coolant/brake fluid/clutch fluid can only cause problems. Leave the gunk inside so it can plug all the corrosion spots. When you flush it you remove all the nice gunk that was holding the parts together. Every time I change fluids in my car the same shit happens.

Yamaha lover

I would have no problem with anything Gil says, but there are others at Razee's that I dont trust at all

Quote Originally Posted by fjrrider RI View Post
    I have bought many bikes at Razee's. I am having Manny price a trade for that brand new 2010 if he takes mine in trade. The bad news is he just took one in for $4,800 with much less mileage and my bike is great except for the brake problem. So I am crossing my fingers that it will be a yamaha repair cause I will not pay for a replacement unit that cost $1k and the bike is great except for the abs problem now. Once you get used to abs in the rain you get spoiled. Has anyone else had to replace an abs unit after the brakes were bled?
    there was a problem like this on the old K1200 BMWs with ABS. everything would be fine until a brake flush was done, and then the modulator would fail 600-1000 miles later. BMW has been covering the full replacement cost even through most of the bike are long past the warranty period.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    there was a problem like this on the old K1200 BMWs with ABS. everything would be fine until a brake flush was done, and then the modulator would fail 600-1000 miles later. BMW has been covering the full replacement cost even through most of the bike are long past the warranty period.
    Razee's is trying to go that route with yamaha right now. Thank you for that information.

Yamaha lover

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Trust me, work with them at Razee's. ANY issue that I have had was resolved. Maybe give Yamaha a call and see what they say to you. But, I wouldnt see Gill lying about anything.
    I was dealing with Russel but now Gil took over

Yamaha lover

Update- Yamaha told me to go take a hike and will not consider warrantee on the ABS fluid pump unit which Razee's says is blocked with something due to corrosion. Gil helped me order a used part on ebay yesterday for $200 and the dealer in Oregon says that a new one at $1,100 would be out of stock anyway. Since there are so many used ones available on ebay me thinks this a common problem. So fellow fjr1300 people listen up!
    The Yamaha manual requires fluid changes and complete brake rebuilds including calipers and pistons every 2 years! So six years and about $600 per service would be $4,000 unless you do it all yourself. no thanks. Why fix the calipers and pistons when they are working fine? Does brake fluid become acidic or change with age?

Yamaha lover

It absorbes moisture and with that it can boil very easily at the calipers or even at the ABS pump if it's cycled enough.

EDIT: IMO, pass on the caliper rebuilds unless the pistons aren't moving correctly but definitely don't pass on the fluid changes. You don't want the surprise of having diminished braking capacity at a time when they are the most critical.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 09-23-10 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    It absorbes moisture and with that it can boil very easily at the calipers or even at the ABS pump if it's cycled enough.

EDIT: IMO, pass on the caliper rebuilds unless the pistons aren't moving correctly but definitely don't pass on the fluid changes. You don't want the surprise of having diminished braking capacity at a time when they are the most critical.
    expensive Lesson learned- how about damage from radiator or clutch fluid not changed? I don't change the radiator fluid on vehicls and when I do problems arise?

Yamaha lover

I would have to think it is because you waited so long to change and theirs gunk or what not built in the systems. You should have no reason at all to be worried about a brake fuild/ radiator flush. Hell, I even do them myself with no issues.

expensive Lesson learned- how about damage from radiator or clutch fluid not changed? I don't change the radiator fluid on vehicls and when I do problems arise?

My bike has ABS, but I've never tested it, and I recently flushed my brake fluid (I didn't bleed the ABS unit). How did you know the unit failed? Did the ABS light stay on? or never come on? Or did you try to get them to activate and instead the tire locked up? Just curious what to look for, even if I have a Triumph and it may be different.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

It's becoming clear that you are against servicing your machine.

IMO, it is worth it to keep those fluids serviced. Clutch fluid is DOT4 brake fluid on your machine. Things deteriorate with time and with the clutch system in particular, you risk blowing the master and/ or slave cylinders due to contaminated fluid. Once that happens you have two choices, 1) turn yourself into Fred Flintstone right quick and get those feet moving or 2) do not stop at all for anything while learning how to perform clutchless up and down shifts. Your clutch will be rendered useless if either of those items blow.

Heat isn't so much an issue with the clutch system as it is with the braking systems however, there is typically less volume of fluid in the clutch system yet it is a system that is used more often than the brakes with the difference being the brake fluid is subjected to much higher temps. That said, it is worth it to keep the brake and clutch fluids fresh and serviced to gain the maximum amount of usage and service life of the components they are operating.

The cooling system, generally speaking, isn't as critical however any brass components (thermostat, temp sensors, pump impellers, etc) become particularly susceptable to failure when the acidity levels increase as the coolant quality deteriorates. Same thing goes for engines using 100% water in their cooling systems. I cannot explain the exact science behind it but again, it's along the lines of fluid quality breaking down and the resulting chemical reaction of various metal or rubber components.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 09-23-10 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katana0215 View Post
    I would have no problem with anything Gil says, but there are others at Razee's that I dont trust at all
    Gil helped me find a used ABS hydraulic pump system on line for $200 and then just charged me for the installation of the unit and not for the two weeks it took to pin down the exact problem source. I will now change the brake fluid every two years in order to avoid this again. kudo's for Gil

Yamaha lover

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    My bike has ABS, but I've never tested it, and I recently flushed my brake fluid (I didn't bleed the ABS unit). How did you know the unit failed? Did the ABS light stay on? or never come on? Or did you try to get them to activate and instead the tire locked up? Just curious what to look for, even if I have a Triumph and it may be different.
    I noticed after the service that the rear brake was easy to lock up. The freeken idiot light never went on. Good thing I noticed cause the entire rear brake started to lock up after repeated flushing and soon after it was first noticed.

Yamaha lover

Gil helped me find a used ABS hydraulic pump system on line for $200 and then just charged me for the installation of the unit and not for the two weeks it took to pin down the exact problem source. I will now change the brake fluid every two years in order to avoid this again. kudo's for Gil
    Like I said, Gil is a good guy. Brian in service is also top notch. Its the sales and management side that I have had issues with. I will admit that they made good on MOST of those issues.