Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Headlight Nonsense

Lifer

Headlight Nonsense

Ok, so about 2 weeks ago I stuck a Givi windshield on my bike. I like it a lot...

However, the wind buffets it quite a bit at speed. This isn't really a problem, but the shield is mounted to the headlight brackets. The back and forth motion of the shield caused the headlight mounting screws to loosen. This morning I got to work and the right side screw was completly finger loose, just waiting to fall out.

I had torqued this screw down really hard. I never took it out all the way when I stuck the windshield on, just loosened it enough to slide the mounting kit for the windshield on.

Should I lock-tite it? I'm kind of worried that if I take the screws all the way out to lock-tite them, that something inside the headlight will fall apart on the other end of the screw, and I'll be even more messed up.

Would safety wiring these bolts be an option? What would I need to do that?

Thanks,
    Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Headlight Nonsense

If you do end up using Locktite, make sure you use the anti-seize stuff in case you someday need to get those bolts out. You shouldn't hafta back 'em out all the way to apply it either. Just back 'em out a bit and put a DAB on the threads, then tighten 'er back up...

You could also try lock washers. I don't think anything's gonna fall apart in there if you back those screws out. Randy?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Headlight Nonsense

Oh yeah...forget about the safety wiring. It's a bigger pain in the ass than a lot believe it to be. And if you don't do it right it's only gonna catch it when it falls out and hang on to it for ya, not stop it from loosening completely...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Lifer

Headlight Nonsense

I just went and looked at it in the parking lot.

It appears the nut on the inside of the headlight DID fall off.

I'm going to have to take headlight apart. It doesn't look particularly bad.

Ben

Lifer

Headlight Nonsense

I pulled it apart during my lunch break. The toolkit had everything I needed.

The bolt had fallen off, I took the headlight off and got the bolts back on real tight, it should be fine now.

Now my question is what is the extra lead inside the headlight for... I wonder if I could caniballize it for radar detector power or something.

Ben