Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

heat shields rattle

Question heat shields rattle

My heat Shields on the side fairing down by the header pipe are rattling and annoying the shit outta me. I was gonna use some expoy and glue them down. Then i saw that some one used some silicone to take care of the problem..Anyone know the best kind of silicone to use or have a better solution? I got a 06 gsxr 750 Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SNIPER; 06-06-09 at 09:15 PM.

Re: heat shields rattle

heat stink stuff

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I'm not familiar with the design, but my preference in a situation like this would be to use the silicone solely as a damper to stop the rattle, not as an adhesive to hold the parts in place. Is something besides glue holding them on now?

I have had great sucess with Permatex products. They make a high heat silicone that would probably work well.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post

I have had great sucess with Permatex products. They make a high heat silicone that would probably work well.
    Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for.

Lifer

If it's bolted to the header pipe - you can add a washer to the set up to take care of any slack that has developed.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

So I all day trying to find that buzz/rattle. Its not the heat shields cuz I took off both side fairings and went for a ride and the noise is still there. Then I tried the plastic radiator shield, I put some foam under and on top, no dice, noise is the same. Lastly I took off the plastic under headlight and metal bracket that bolts the very bottom of the side fairings.Still got that noise! WTF I am sort of at the end of my skill set so might go to the dealer. If you have a 06/07 600 or 750 do me a favor, in 1st gear get on it hard then from 8 grand and up listen for a rattle especially on the decel. I'm at a total lost..

Dude.....i have the same noise. It annoys the shit outta me.

I too thought it was the heat shields, and tried the same things as you. I'm at a loss

Check this thread http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182825

I am not a gsxr rider, but there seems to be some likeness to this problem. The major checks should be the Headset bearing torque and the front brake calipers. Other than those issues the plastics seems to come uncliped.

Diablo Black 07 ZX-14

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

possibly your flip flops rattling a supersonic frequency? but seriously my 09 rattles too but its the windshield/windshield mounting place making the noise. I just ride with an ipod.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjajim View Post
    Check this thread http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182825

I am not a gsxr rider, but there seems to be some likeness to this problem. The major checks should be the Headset bearing torque and the front brake calipers. Other than those issues the plastics seems to come uncliped.
    Thank you!

Gonna check it out....would make sense

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply ride so fast the wind drowns out the noise?

Finally broke down after 2 week ends of trying to fix that rattle(sounds like a pebble or something bouncing around :wtf) and dropped it off that the dealership. I think he thought i was stunting it cuz I left the side fairings off so they couldn't said it was the heat shields. he kept asking how many times i wheelied it. I said "never", not cuz i don't want to, but I suck and don't wanna crash. He asked twice more, jackass. I told him look I bought this bike new here always babied it, it made this noise from day 1. Got the extended warranty, so take it for a ride and fix it. He said its gonna be 90 bucks to take an hour to really look at it. :dissapointed I said whatever call me when you find the problem. Will let you know how i make out.