Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Fork lock installed wrong?

rides bikes

Fork lock installed wrong?

Long story made somewhat short: I bought an RC8 yesterday. It had a slightly checkered past which lead to the seller having a dealer install a new ignition switch/tumbler. I get it home and out of my truck and go to take a ride around the neighborhood and alert everyone of my new toy. The bars don't turn past center, only left lock to center. What the fuck? I jiggle with the fork lock a bunch and realize it isn't working right - when "locked" the bars turn from left to center, and when unlocked they turn left to center - it makes no difference.

It seems obvious to me that the lock wasn't installed correctly, or it's just broken. The seller is convinced it was working fine when it left, but the seller never actually rode it after the new ignition got put in, only rolled it in and out of his shop.

Trying to keep things civil with the seller while he's still somewhat willing to work with me. Could this be something totally stupid that I'm overlooking? Anything I could have done to fuck it up while loading it in my truck (used a Canyon Dancer and compressed the fork, but nothing extreme)? I'm not convinced he actually had a dealer do the work, but it came with all 3 keys (2 black and the orange/red key) and he claims Freedom Cycle in Concord did the work; I've asked him for the invoice.

I know how fork locks function, but I can't imagine what would lead to these symptoms. Any pointers or ideas would be helpful. Not interested in lectures as I feel dumb enough as-is.

I've got a video, but it won't post.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Fork lock installed wrong?

Sounds crazy, usually the lock pin just engages a hole or slot. Post the video on YouTube then link it here.

Jeff

So the bars won't go right past center at all? I've got two RC8's, but neither has an ignition lock or key. I'll go look at them now to see where the lock would....lock.

Alright I'll probably be of no help here.

It looks like there is a steel tab welded on the front bottom of the head stock that would keep that pin locked either totally to the left, or right, position. On my bike, the center seems to be totally blocked.

I guess if the pin is off-centered it could be stuck out and limiting the sweep of the bars, and holding it to one side. The plastic that holds up the cluster and fairing is blocking much of the view on my bike.

Banned

I dont know the first thing about these bikes, but it seems like the dealer or whoever installed the lock system did not engage the pin properly and it's just stuck in the down position all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned

I just had a look online and theres something under the ignition somewhere called the "steering fork lock bridge". It has a mechanism (arm) that swings left and right to engage into something on the triple to lock everything. Theres a black nut on the bottom of it holding the little arm to this "bridge" assembly. I'm betting that nut is loose and is not allowing the arm to swing left and right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rides bikes

Thanks guys. I'm glad you guys are stumped too, but I think Degsy may be on to something with this steering bridge. I'm hesitant to start taking things apart because as Burnham mentioned, it's all shielded and there's a lot going on in there.

Thanks for the YouTube suggestion - YouTube

Back in the day some locks required you to push the key down like a1/2 inch for the fork lock

And angle grinder, fork locks are silly, bad guys throw it in vans, gone

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

rides bikes

I’m not opposed to breaking it if I need to, just not there yet.

I would look around first to be sure something random isn't in the way of any of the moving parts. I once had a bolt drop onto my lower triple clamp which I didn't notice and it prevented my bars from going right. I went to head out for practice tried to turn in right at the end of the garages and ended up dropping my bike. A bit embarrassing since at that point I was a pretty experienced racer but luckily Tony saw it ran out of the Pirelli garage helped me back up.

I would check for random hardware or hanging wires that could be getting in the way.

James

rides bikes

Part of the tumbler that holds the locking pin broke and let go of the pin. The pin was stuck in the stem. Pictures to follow.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

rides bikes

There's a U channel in the lock that holds the pin; that's what broke and let the lock pin get stuck in the stem. What a fucking nightmare. After I finally figured this out and was ready to put it back together, the key would only barely rotate. My assumption was correct, and the broken piece got stuck in there. Had to take the whole lock apart and fish it out.

Hooooray

Attachment 49575
    Attachment 49574
    Attachment 49573
    Attachment 49572