Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP!

HELP!

I took Bwaps bike apart (93 Katana 600), Unlike rocket boy I was able to get it back together.
    I changed the oil, spark plugs, air filter, tightened the throttle cable.

I checked all the hose conections and wires when I put it back together, but now it won't start. The starter is cranking, but nothing happens. I had taken the gas tank off to do the work, and made sure I hooked it back up right when it went back on, and none of the fuel lines are pinched

Anyone have any ideas why it won't go?
    Thanks
    --sean--
    00zx7R

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

HELP!

Try checking the spark... did you remove any of the wires or check them at the coils, worse come to worse pull a plug and turn it over and see if it sparks. It's only gas, air and spark...

HELP!

thanks.........
    Yeh, I knew the basics, its either fuel or spark. I guess i'll just pull it apart again and check it over.
    --sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but did you put the wires on the corresponding plugs? They do hafta go on a certain way to maintain proper firing sequence...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

HELP!

The usual place to start is the petcock on a Katana.

It has three hoses - one for vacuum and two for fuel. Make sure all three are still hooked up.

I have had one detach more than once due to the little room there is to work once the tank is almost hooked in.

Make sure it was on prime to get fuel back in the system.

If you didn't remove the coils, it should just be a fuel delivery issue.

[Edited on 2/9/02 by Karaya One]

HELP!

Yes wise ass, I did put the plug wires back the right way, in fact I replaced them one at a time to avoid any misshap.

Hey dave, I made sure all the hoses were hooked up, I even tried to start it in the prime position, and the reserve and the on
    positions. I guess I'll start all over and double check everything.

thanks
    --sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

Is the Kat a gravity feed fueler or does it have a fuel pump like my Fzr and R1?

HELP!

Well, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about bike repair, I have only ever worked on 3 bikes. But comparing this one to the 2 ninjas I worked on I would have to say it is probably a pump. there are 2 electrical wires, 2 fuel lines , a vacum line and 2 over flow lines.
    --sean--
    00zx7r

HELP!

Okay so it looks like a spark problem.
    I pulled out plug I checked all the fuses, made sure the spark plug cables were connected on both ends and checked all the other wire conections just to be sure.
    So I am guessing the it might be a bad (thingie that the spark plug wires plug into on the other end) there are 2 of them.?????
    or might it be the actual plug wires????

-sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

The Katana does not have a fuel pump. Vacuum from carb cap provides the drawing power for the fuel system.

If you have three hoses mounted, make sure its the correct three. It is often easy to mix the two fuel lines with the one vacuum line.

Next up, check the spark. From the caps, the leads, the coils and the wires into the coils. The fuel guage line not being hooked up has nothing to do with providing spark.

Bikeless Prick

HELP!

Hey Sean...

I started working on mine this weekend. Found more broken pieces.

Just think though, if you don't get Bwaps 'Tuna runnin' you can always give her the zx7 and get a new bike?

HELP!

Me get a new bike.....
    That was the original plan, but she couldn't handle the zx7, it was too heavy for her , the tank was to wide for her to feel coumfy and she couldn't even come close to flat footing it. Believe me thet was my idea but I wanted her to feel comfortable coming into the sport so i let her pick a bike that felt right. Of course she picks on that is a pain in the nuts to work on. Even the simplest thing you have to strip all the plastic off
    oh well.
    I haven't found the electrical gremlin yet. I double checked all the wires, fuses, connections etc.
    How would I check to see if there is spark coming from the coil?? Do I need a volt meter, touch it to the coil tip as I try to start it?
    --sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

yea, just touch the bare ends of the wires when you try starting it, if its getting spark, you'll know

Like SD said, make sure you got fuel lines connected to fuel and vacuum connected to vacuum and return connected to return etc and not vice versa,

Are you sure your fuel petcocks are good, I had to replace them on my yamaha,

if you open a float bowl with petcock on prime, and fuel continues to run out, then your fuel situation should be ok.

not knowing what you had to disconnect electrically to get your plastic off, I wouldn't dare to talk about electrical gremlins.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

HELP!

It's unlikely to be a spark plug wire itself. Electrical problems, aside from a shot coil, etc. are usually caused from points of connection, i.e., plug wire caps, etc. Having a volt meter and tracing out the circuit is the easiest thing to do if you aren't getting spark. While no time is good, it's better to have problems in the winter than during the riding season.

Best of luck, Sean. Keep us posted.

Chuck
    '02 Ducati 998S Bostrom

Banned

HELP!

He's got the kill switch on. That's my guess.

HELP!

Well, I used a volt meter, there is no juice at the coils, so I went down the line to a box next to the battery that those wires go in to , I'm guessing that must be like the "distributor" in a car well no juice there either. I talked to a guy at a bar last night ( harley mechanic), said to check the wires to the kill stwitch, even though the bike will turn over, it may be a loose wire not alowing the spark. But if it isn't that than I am thinking its that distributor type thing.

Make sense???

--sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

mick,
    Let me know when, I have been told that I am good cook.........
    If you like beer, buffalo wings, and steak, I think it would be well worth the bike fix.
    -sean-
    00zx7R

HELP!

kewl, let me know when....
    --sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

Would the "box next to the battery that those wires go into" be...the "fuse box". hehe joking there I'm sure you checked and rechecked the fuses. It's not going to be a loose wire to the kill switch, although possible, it doesn't make a spark, it simply connects and disconnects the ignition circuit. If the switch itself was defective, the bike would not turn over. Teh box you mentioned is most likely a distribution box (like a junction box) where circuits get matched up and tied off. It is possible the problem could be a starter relay within the distribution box, although I'm not familiar with the Katana electrical system.

You aren't that far away Sean, pick a day when Mick wants to come up and I'll come over too if you like. We should be able to diagnose the problem pretty quickly. If you took the bike apart and put it back together, my guess would be a blown relay or fuse. It is also possible to be a blown fuse connector (contained inside the housing). Regardless, not hard to pinpoint and fix.

Chuck
    '02 Ducati 998S Bostrom 090/155

HELP!

Yeh, I did double check the fuses.
    I even traced the wires from the kill switch, I think its like you guys say, its something minor that i am over looking, But I have traced every wire and checked every connection, something has to be blown somewhere along the line.

--sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

Let me know what day you guys are heading out to operate... maybe I'll head up to watch/lend a wrench... or just take pics of the mass confusion......

HELP!

so is this turning into a party

if we are going to make a day of it, sundays are better than sat I am free all day unless its a sat after 5:30pm.
    --sean--
    00zx7R

HELP!

Someone say party? Food? Home brew? I'm free this weekend? hehe

Yamaha

HELP!

Cool.. so Sunday after the Nesr race at F1Boston on sat night?

HELP!

This sunday? the 24th?
    what time?
    --sean--
    00zx7R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast