Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

HELP! Fork Seal Replacement

HELP! Fork Seal Replacement

Soooo I have a bit of a problem, the fork seals on my R1 are leaking - definitely need to be replaced. I have never done the service myself before and I'm on a bit of a time crunch.

My buddy was going to try and help me with the job, but his work has made him travel considerably more than anticipated. I have a track day Monday with Tony's and need to have them rebuilt this week. I called some shops and they want UBER money to get them done.

I have the seals, just need to pick up some oil. Can anyone that has done a few help me out this week one evening? I'm located in the Sturbridge area, will provide beer during the job and a case of your favorite to take home.

Can anyone help?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Re: HELP! Fork Seal Replacement

sucks Matt. I had Higgins do them on my ZX10R.. took 5 days and $180 and I supplied the seals/wipers.

Good luck..

If I had ever done USD forks I'd lend a hand, but I think you need special tools that I don't have. Good luck.

They quoted me $220.00 for just the labor, and won't accept the seals I bought because they aren't genuine Yamaha. They also couldn't guarantee finishing them in time...blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
    If I had ever done USD forks I'd lend a hand, but I think you need special tools that I don't have. Good luck.
    +1

You don't need special tools. You can use an old seal cut in half to drive in the new seal. You really just need a vise, the correct sockets/wrenches, and a propane torch, heat gun or blow drier.

If you take the fork off and bring it to my place in hatfield, we can get it done. just have the seal, oil, and your desired oil level. Also loosen the fork cap while it's on the bike and check the size of the damper rod bolt (they can be odd sizes)...

Paul_E_D

with forks, i'll never mess with them. I'd bring my stuff to GMD and get it done the right way. hope you get it sorted out in time matt.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    They quoted me $220.00 for just the labor, and won't accept the seals I bought because they aren't genuine Yamaha. They also couldn't guarantee finishing them in time...blah.
    Dont tell me you bought no-name ebay seals?

Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    Dont tell me you bought no-name ebay seals?
    I bought seals that Neil told me to buy - they aren't no name. I'm going to take a trip down to Uxbridge in the next couple days and Eric is going to help me do them. I just need to figure out the oil levels and best set-up oil weight wise now.

If I had the time I would take them to GMD, unfortunately I'm on a tight schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    You don't need special tools. You can use an old seal cut in half to drive in the new seal. You really just need a vise, the correct sockets/wrenches, and a propane torch, heat gun or blow drier.

If you take the fork off and bring it to my place in hatfield, we can get it done. just have the seal, oil, and your desired oil level. Also loosen the fork cap while it's on the bike and check the size of the damper rod bolt (they can be odd sizes)...
    I just did it on my zx6r. Its gonna be a pain in the ass heads up....

First: Go on youtube and find some videos. There are a few of them. You have inverted forks, not the smaller type (small type forks are WAY easier....did it on my old bike)

You will need special tools. But nothing you cant make if your creative.
    1. You need a tool to drive the new seals into the forks. I used a PVC pipe that I cut in half long ways. It fit perfectly around the inner forks and worked well. Then just tap the seal with a rubber malet all around evenly.

2. You will need a spring compression tool. You need to be able to pull down on the spring to be able to loosen the top cap. You can get better info on this via videos. I took a C clamp, cut one end smooth and put a bolt through it with 4 nuts to hold it stiff. There are two holes in the top inner pipe. You stick the bolt and the clamping side of the C clamp into these holes. I then used a nylon strap with crank to pull down on the spring until the pressure was released from the top cap.

3. when you take the top cap off, you can then remove all the parts inside. Be sure to remember how everything came out in order so you can put it all back again. To make life easy, make a small mark where the oil level is before you dump it out.

4. The bolt at the bottom of the forks. The screws upward towards the handle bars is a biatch. you will have to loosen it to pull the innerds out but tightening it back when your done is such a pain. The inners keep turning while you try to tighten. You will need to use an impact gun to get it tight enough not to leak.

Feel free to message me if you run into any problems. Ill try to help as best I can. Good luck.