Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Help with a no start on 2005 cbr 1000rr

Lifer

Help with a no start on 2005 cbr 1000rr

Trying to help out my friend with a no start on his CBR 1000rr.

Here's the scenario leading up... he thought he might have been running down the battery over the summer.. but it always fired up. Once he left the key on for 2 hrs and it died, but again.. after a bit of riding it seemed fine.

Come to the end of the season he washed it. *not sure if this may be related but it's been at least 1 month or more outside since*.

He rode it once or twice more. He goes outside to start it up once in a while to keep things moving. 3 weeks ago he started it up, and went inside the house. The bike died and would not start up since then.

Here's what I checked out:

1) put a battery jumper on.. no dice. Then decided to leave it trickle charge overnight. With all the cranking battery was definitely low, but it's good by this morning again.

2) checked inside his fuel tank.. he had fuel, but I added in 1 more gallon of fuel mixed with some stabil for good measure.

3) it is indeed a FI bike, no lights or errors, when I flip the key on I can hear the fuel pump priming.

4) It cranks and with this cold weather it even smokes as the engine is cranking, but it won't catch.

5) after all this starting etc, we tried the procedure in the manual to clear out any fuel that may have fouled it up.

Since this isn't a carbed bike I can't see spraying ether etc to get it to fire up.. what can we try to get this running?

Also could not locate a fuse box (I'm going online to look at it now) Just in case there is something that's blown.. but it seems to me if everything lights up and is cranking, I'm not sure what fuse could be blown that would be related.

Thanks a ton guys!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Help with a no start on 2005 cbr 1000rr

I would make sure that the fuel pump is indeed moving fuel. Remove the fuel lead going to the injectors and make sure it spits when you flip the starter. My son's CBR had similar issues and we replaced the fuel pump (after hitting a few times with a screwdriver and determining that the fuel pump was failing) all was good. Good luck.

Lifer

Will do. . We can smell some fuel coming out of the exhaust as it cranks. . But seeing is believing

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post
    I would make sure that the fuel pump is indeed moving fuel. Remove the fuel lead going to the injectors and make sure it spits when you flip the starter. My son's CBR had similar issues and we replaced the fuel pump (after hitting a few times with a screwdriver and determining that the fuel pump was failing) all was good. Good luck.

Another option is a cheater method I have used to get sleds that have been sitting for a while running again. Remove the spark plug and dump a thimble full of fresh fuel into each cylinder. Replace the plugs. This can sometimes cheat the starting procedure, and pull things into the fuel system to get it running. If it fires up, and then stalls once the fuel is gone, your problem lies somewhere in the delivery system.

Again, good luck.

Lifer

I was hoping to avoid taking it apart outside in the cold

Push start it in 2nd gear?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Push start it in 2nd gear?
    Would that work if it's having trouble starting already now? Usually I'd only do that with a dead battery. .

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Twin View Post
    Another option is a cheater method I have used to get sleds that have been sitting for a while running again. Remove the spark plug and dump a thimble full of fresh fuel into each cylinder. Replace the plugs. This can sometimes cheat the starting procedure, and pull things into the fuel system to get it running. If it fires up, and then stalls once the fuel is gone, your problem lies somewhere in the delivery system.

Again, good luck.
    Have fun getting the plugs out! Have to dismount the radiator to get to em from the top!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    Would that work if it's having trouble starting already now? Usually I'd only do that with a dead battery. .
    It really depends on what's keeping it from starting now. It's worth a shot if you can manage it.

It sounds like it's a pain but you need to pull a plug or two. See if they're wet to try and tell if they're getting fuel. If they are, get an inline spark tester like this:

And make sure it's getting spark. Those are like $10 at any auto parts store. A four-cyl bike will typically need at least 3 cylinders firing to get it running, so make sure you check all the plugs!

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I was hoping to avoid taking it apart outside in the cold
    There's no need to pull the plugs to trick the system, tilt up the fuel tank, remove the air filter, and spray in a mist of gas (Windex bottle with gas in it) into the airbox.

My guess is a spark issue seeing you can smell fuel and see vapors coming out the exhaust

Yamaha

Easier than tossing fuel in the plugs or even under the filter is to just spray the starting fluid in the intake ports on the outside of the bike. This might hurt your K&N type filter if you have one as it's a detergent and would remove some of the oil on the filter probably. Also both the air box and intake ports have a slight chance of starting the bike on fire. Of course pouring it in the plug holes and missing any also has a chance of starting the bike on fire.

Particularly because he said he washed it and that caused the problem I'd be checking electrical ignition parts.

Lifer

Thanks for all the great tips. . I thought that spraying ether in the intake ports of a fuel injected bike wouldn't work but I'll give it a shot. We'll see how tough it is to get to the plugs. I looked online and it sounds as fun as doing it on my 900rr.. not something I want to do in freezing weather.

I'll let you know when I figure out out

Quote Originally Posted by Tunertype View Post
    Easier than tossing fuel in the plugs or even under the filter is to just spray the starting fluid in the intake ports on the outside of the bike. This might hurt your K&N type filter if you have one as it's a detergent and would remove some of the oil on the filter probably. Also both the air box and intake ports have a slight chance of starting the bike on fire. Of course pouring it in the plug holes and missing any also has a chance of starting the bike on fire.

Particularly because he said he washed it and that caused the problem I'd be checking electrical ignition parts.

I personally would not use starter fluid on any gasoline engine. Starter fluid ignites on compression, not spark, so it won't prove a thing. And if you're not extremely careful with the amount you put in, you'll be trying to solve much more than just a starting issue

Yamaha

under the front cowel is a tip over switch/small box with wires its loose or un plugged...it will crank with no spark.

Put a battery in it.

Lifer

I checked the tip over switch the other day with no improvement.. thought maybe water got in it. I'm not sure how to bypass it to check however. I would have thought that in the month and a bit it should have still dried out in this weather.

Might be able to get it into a garage nearby and start troubleshooting again.