Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anyone know HID's at all?

Anyone know HID's at all?

I have an HID bulb in my headlight on my bike, not by choice but a regular bulb will melt the housing so i have to run HID, basically whats happening is it will turn on, the ballast will click a few times and it will shut off. anyone know how to fix this issue or what it could be? i was thinking ballast but it wouldn't even turn on if the ballast was junk would it?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-35) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Could still be the ballast, or it didnt getting enough power. On cars they make battery wiring harnesses for this.

Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar

Re: Anyone know HID's at all?

Corey- My suggestion, just replace the entire thing. DDM sells them for $40 shipped. Not worth the aggrevation when you can replace them for that cheap. I have them on both my ninjas and have no problems with them

Probably the ballast...for the price of a ballast, as lx said, might as well just buy a whole new kit.

'02 F4i

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

My original thought was to just get a new kit but my worry is that it's the power issue but I have no idea how to test this? I don't know Hids at all

Corey

Are you running 1 ballast or 2?

'02 F4i

Lifer

Disconnect the main feed and ground from the bike and try to power it off a car battery. Take as many pieces other than the bulb and the ballast out of the system - use jumper cables if you have to. If it fires up - you know the problem is elsewhere. Then start backtracking - start with the fuse. Even if it looks good replace it - I've been bitten by the hairline crack in them before...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Based on your description, I'm going with ballast.

Think of it like a flourescent light....when the ballast goes bad the bulb could blink as the ballast tries to fire or it may take a few tries before the bulb illuminates or you get no light at all and just hear the ballast trying to fire.

wow, everyone beat me to it. either bad ballast or not getting enough power. what brand is it? some McCullochs or older HID kits had a separate igniter for the ballast that sits between 12v to ballast