Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

husky 701 turn signals (brain teaser?)

husky 701 turn signals (brain teaser?)

The signals on my 701 Enduro work OK when I first get on the bike, and for maybe another 5 minutes. For reasons unknown (heat? vibration? chemtrails?) they get weird soon thereafter and totally inoperative soon after that.

Euro bike character fer dayz!

I have an appointment at the dealer 6/22 but would prefer to pass an inspection before then. Ideas?

The 701s are notorious for roasting rear-left signals due to the pipe exit point and lean stock mixture, but a) mine has a heat shield on that signal housing, and b) I've seen signal function come back near the end of an in-town commute before, so I'm sort of leaning toward a vibration/loose connector issue someplace.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Re: husky 701 turn signals (brain teaser?)

Some euro bikes are notorious for undersizing wiring and electrical components. The flash relay (if such the animal is present) might be undersized and overheating. Have you tried different lamps? Maybe LEDs which have lower wattage.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

I haven't tried any changes at all, yet. Since I first noticed the problem I've mainly just been paying a little more attention to it, trying to get my head around the symptoms. I'll likely take the headlight assembly off tomorrow evening so I can get a better look at the wiring between the dash module and peripheral bits.

Aside:
    One nifty feature of the spartan-looking dash is native support for adjusting the speedo for different wheel sizes. If you disconnect the headlights, you can go to the normal dash setup and set the front wheel circumference in millimeters. Super handy once my SM wheels arrive.

-Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    Some euro bikes are notorious for undersizing wiring and electrical components. The flash relay (if such the animal is present) might be undersized and overheating. Have you tried different lamps? Maybe LEDs which have lower wattage.
    I like this theory. If the flasher uses a bimetallic strip, and it is in a hot location, it may never cool enough to close the circuit to give you the flash.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

According to the warranty service tech, it was a loose connector. Time will tell.

In other news:

That pic is helping me understand why people do sumo beak replacements, but I’m all the way down with how the anodizing came out on the hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Jared

Lifer

Doooooooooooooooo waaaaaaant!

Your the guy that gets stuff stolen all the time? Please lock that thing all the way up.

Sumo fenders are overrated. Nothing quite as epic as rolling down the front straight of your favorite race track in a tuck, watching the speedometer tick higher and higher, then noticing your fender flapping in the breeze like an elephant in a mosh pit high on speed.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Doooooooooooooooo waaaaaaant!

Your the guy that gets stuff stolen all the time? Please lock that thing all the way up.
    Not for a while now, but yes. And I will. It had the 600mi service at the same appointment, so I may finally let the wrist do as it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Sumo fenders are overrated. Nothing quite as epic as rolling down the front straight of your favorite race track in a tuck, watching the speedometer tick higher and higher, then noticing your fender flapping in the breeze like an elephant in a mosh pit high on speed.
    Haha fair enough. I look forward to getting it to flap its big goofy trunk around.

-Jared

Anyone got a link to a primer on how ABS sensors/rings are meant to interact? ABS light stays solid on after the wheel swap, despite presence of ABS rings on the new hubs.

-Jared

The gap between the sensor and the ring looks really close in the front and not so much in the rear.

Haven’t tried recalibrating speedo to new wheel circumference yet; not sure it should matter but would make some sense if so.

-Jared

There should be a spec somewhere for the correct air gap. There should be a gap. It should not be touching.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Thanks GC. After recalibrating the speedo, the ABS doesn't fault until I hit 55mph or so, but faults consistently upon reaching highway speed. I looked up the ABS module part numbers for the 701 enduro vs. supermoto (thinking maybe the SM one had a different 'magic ratio' of expected front vs. rear turn rate burned in) but a) the part numbers are the same, and b) the list price for the ABS module was $4k with 'discount' down to $2.7k. Who knows if that's actually what a replacement would cost through a dealer, but at least now I'm not tempted to fuck with it.

Another option is to try the 'ABS dongle' to enable front-only ABS. If it makes the ABS module stop caring about whether the rear wheel locks, maybe that not-caring would carry over to fixing my fault somehow? Seems a little thin, but only costs $100 to find out, and front-only ABS sounds like it could be a good time anyway.

-Jared

Guessing these parts are identical:

2017 KTM 690 Enduro R ABS dongle

2017 Husqvarna 701 ABS dongle

-Jared