Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Impact driver ?'s

Impact driver ?'s

I recently retired my Husky pneumatic impact because it just stopped working. It actually sucked at loosening anything tighter than 40#. It was cheap and I learned a lesson.

I think I'd like to go Lith-Ion for my next one but there's a lot to choose from. I've noticed that cordless are measured in in/lbs while air and electric are measured in ft/lbs. Not a big deal as I can divide by 12.

Corded Impacts look to be a dying breed....only a few models available. Air is ok but I think I want the ease of cordless.

Any first hand experience with certain brands?? I don't mind dropping $200-250 on a good unit.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Charlief; 01-04-11 at 04:48 PM.
    Me no likey crash

Re: Impact driver ?'s

Makita 18v, 1/2" impact is awesome. Its light, powerful, and the batteries recharge fast. It was money well spent and I will buy another when I wear this one out.

I have the Dewalt 18v 1/2" in both the old style battery and the new LI. They both get heavy after a short time. However I would gladly carry that, then 50' of hose and a compressor any day. I have also used the hell out of both of them and they have worked flawlessly. That being said, Makita seems to be making some nice stuff lately too.

I borrowed a Snap On 1/2" drive to do the clutch on my Diesel truck, That thing had a ton of torque and worked great. It was pretty light too.

I have plans to pick up a Dewalt this week, but like above said, they are heavy but better than dragging everything out.

18v on both

I just looked on line at that Makita BTW450. That thing is a power house at 325ft/lbs! At $350 plus it's up there but comes with a 3 year warranty. I actually dismissed makita because I thought they were just a home depot POS.

What would you consider to be the min torque in looking for an impact? I see lots in the 140-200 ft/lbs range then see some 300 plus. Is it worth it to go big? Not that much more coin.

Last edited by Charlief; 01-04-11 at 08:45 PM.
    Me no likey crash

yes, go big or go home.

you can always set them lower in the torque adjustment, like most drills....It only takes a few bolts that wont come off before you wish you spent the extra coin...

I understand the Snap-On is the most popular amongst guys in salvage yards, it's like 500 ft-lbs. However it's also crazy expensive at $550. Almost cheaper to buy a compressor and pneumatic gun.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

I've used the snap on gun and the dewalt.

both work awesome VERY powerful. Dewalt was definitely heavier tho, may have had a little more power too

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

I am very surprised that dewalt is in the same category as snapon, also, I just can't imagine that a cordless can do the same job a an air powered tool, if it could make a true 400 foot pounds I would really be impressedand would definetelly spend the money.
    My half inch impact is rated at 510 ft lbs, and I have to run my air comp at 175psi to get full power.

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Working on cars every day I'll say no cordless impact I've used compares to a pneumatic one. That being said, I use a makita 18v Li-ion cordless impact for all of the smaller fasteners I need to break loose. It charges fast, is very light and I have used it just about every day for 3 or so years.

I had a znex 1/2" that lasted 4 months before blowing apart. Then a snap-on 1/2' and a 3/8", both I had for 1 year. They were too bulky and took too long to spin down after releasing the trigger. Ni-cad batteries are primitive.

One of the former LRRS #13's

http://www.facebook.com/ChrisWatt762

JT42

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to order the Makita High Torque BTW450. A little more than what I wanted to spend but should last me for years.

18v, Lith-ion, 350 ft/lbs, 2batteries, 30 min charger, bag, and a 3year warranty. 1 year on battery
    Best price I could find was $340

Last edited by Charlief; 01-05-11 at 07:25 AM.
    Me no likey crash

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Good idea going for the warrenty, chec,k out ridged from home depot, I think they might still offer some sort of liftime replacement, I don't have the impact, but I do have the big older set, about t5 yrs old. They just warrentyed. 2 chargers and 1 battery with no reciept , the repair shop used the seriel # off of the drill.

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

I love my snap on 1/2" but it was cheap

i found that if I wanted the torque to do lugnuts though, I had to spend money