Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

f*&%&ing bike not getting up to temp.

f*&%&ing bike not getting up to temp.

Ok so I have my 95 zx6r I picked it up last year and since I've had it, it would never get up to temp unless it was stationary. Then as soon as you started moving again the needle would drop right down. So I just spent like a couple hours pulling the tank and side fairings off pulling the old thermostat installing a new one and refilling the system. I just took it out for a beat run and its still doing the same thing just maybe a little more delayed? I don't know if i'm imagining it but it seems like it took a little longer to warm up when stopped and a little longer to cool down, and it seemed when i got home that the needle was a little higher than where it used to rest while moving but its still not at operating temp.

WTFH is going on with this thing?! Is it just that the system is working bubles through etc? Does the coolant, or thermostat need time to "break in" or something dumb? The other thing about this bike is that its both water, and oil cooled. So now that the thermostat is working? is it just going to take longer for the temp to get to the top? Any ideas thoughts exclamations of wanting to smash something welcome.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: f*&%&ing bike not getting up to temp.

Did you bleed the air out of the system properly? If not look it up cause I got leave and I can't get to it. Sorry, wish I had more time.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

I've got the manual and it said to just fill the radiator then fill the overflow then idle for 2 mins, then quick rev to 4-5k a couple times then wait for it to cool and top off the rad again. This is what i did. I'll check the manual again and see if there is some other way as well.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Did you check to see if the system is properly pressurized?

Check that and also it could just be a faulty gauge. Chances are if either of the 2 ate the culprit it might actually be overheating and you wouldn't even know it.

check your blinker fluid levels

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

this is just the typical progression when you replace an FZR, it will haunt you! bwahahahaha

Lifer

What temperature does it run at and what do you consider up to temp? Is there a fan?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    What temperature does it run at and what do you consider up to temp? Is there a fan?
    Hey Jay, Finally got those 'effing sliders put on... Plaistow swore there were no parts missing when I called, then everyone at Seacoast agreed there were definitely missing parts when I was there today. Went back to Plaistow and apparently the packages sent from Vortex were missing parts...and it took 3 guys 20 minutes to decide to bust into a package of the short ones and give me the damn parts I needed... Sorry Dave for the

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Would not trust that gauge..!!
    Get a real temp reading . see if you can get ahold of a laser temp gun..last time I checked you could buy one for about $50.00 .. check all spots on engine and trans..
    Try rideing for 30 mins and let it get to what is going to be it's OPERATING TEMP ..Your oil and trans gears along with all internal parts should be up to temp ... then check the temp of the oil.. this will probable give you the most acurate temp check,, kinda like a rectal thermometer..

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by Target30 View Post
    this is just the typical progression when you replace an FZR, it will haunt you! bwahahahaha
    lol don't even say that!

yes there is a fan. It doesn't have a digital gauge but one of the analog needle gauges.

DB, I can't find the blinker fluid. I looked in the manual and there's no mention of it how do I change it?

I have 2 bikes that ran cool their whole life

only saw 180 in summer traffic jams

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

i have a zr-6r thats very sensitive to ambient temp. if its 45 out the damn thing barely will hit 150 while moving. if its 90 like today it will stick about 175-180 and will shoot right up to 220 in traffic cooking me alive lol

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Femmekat View Post
    Hey Jay, Finally got those 'effing sliders put on... Plaistow swore there were no parts missing when I called, then everyone at Seacoast agreed there were definitely missing parts when I was there today. Went back to Plaistow and apparently the packages sent from Vortex were missing parts...and it took 3 guys 20 minutes to decide to bust into a package of the short ones and give me the damn parts I needed... Sorry Dave for the
    I think I told you that after you talked to them and they said nothing was missing. And you doubted me?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

dude i think its just something that these 90's style bikes do because mine does the same exact thing i just got used to it.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluGixxer View Post
    Would not trust that gauge..!!
    Get a real temp reading . see if you can get ahold of a laser temp gun..last time I checked you could buy one for about $50.00 .. check all spots on engine and trans..
    Try rideing for 30 mins and let it get to what is going to be it's OPERATING TEMP ..Your oil and trans gears along with all internal parts should be up to temp ... then check the temp of the oil.. this will probable give you the most acurate temp check,, kinda like a rectal thermometer..

From what I've been told, Kawasaki put the temperature sensor in a bad spot so that it reads coolant temps at the output of the radiator. The better spot would be on the other end, where the coolant goes into the radiator.

I agree with BluGixxer, get a real measurement.

And speaking of rectal thermometers, the only diffeence between those and an oral thermometer is the taste.

lmao. Ok well I'll give that a shot then and see how it goes, thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post
    Ok so I have my 95 zx6r...

Any ideas thoughts exclamations of wanting to smash something welcome.
    I have a '95 ZX6R track only bike and it is the same way, even on the hottest days sitting out there idling the temp gauge never reads hot...

Just beat the thing like you hate it. I have not been easy on mine in the last year, and likely the other dozen or so shitheads before me weren't either (she bears all the signs of prolonged spousal abuse). It keeps coming back for more...

hmm, ok well thanks for posting that up your the only the second person i've talked to with any experience with the bike. As for beating it I don't really that often but i make up for it in miles. I bought the bike at the end of last season with 15,200 mi. I've since changed the oil twice and am now at 22,800? Right around there.