Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Inspection, grooves in rotor = safety issue?

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Inspection, grooves in rotor = safety issue?

Failed the NH motorcycle inspection because:

1) some previous owner clearly let the pads run too low and they put a slight groove in the rotor that you can feel but not see.

2) pads don't look like they have enough life left in them.

#2 I can get, although with this being a vintage, slow-ass cruiser it's not like I'll toast the rest of the pads in a day. But fine, pads are low, he wants them changed a bit sooner than I would. They were slated for replacement anyway.

But #1? Is having slight grooves in the rotor from pads not being changed by a previous owner 15 years ago really a safety issue? Not even like he was trying to gig me for parts... he doesn't sell the stuff. He just wants me to have it fixed and bring it back. Strikes me as odd... I've had cars inspected with rotors that were destroyed and needing replacement without issue. Anyone else fail for something like this? Those of you that do inspections, would you fail somone for this?

NH, if it matters.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Inspection, grooves in rotor = safety issue?

PART Saf-C 3231 MOTORCYCLE BRAKES

Saf-C 3231.01 Inspection of Service Brake.

(a) A motorcycle shall be rejected if:

(1) The operator is unable to maintain brake pedal height with moderate foot force for one minute;

(2) Less than 1/5 of the total available pedal travel remains when the pedal is depressed with moderate foot force;

(3) Any drum, disc or rotor has been turned down in excess of the manufacturer's specifications;

(4) Brake linings or pads are contaminated to the extent that the brakes do not work properly;

(5) Brake drums or discs have cracks on the friction surface extending to the edge of the bore or periphery of the disc, or shows evidence of mechanical damage other than wear;

(6) Fluid level in the master cylinder is below the half full point;

(7) Fluid is leaking from the master or wheel cylinder;

(8) Hydraulic hoses or tubing are missing, worn or cracked;

(9) Mechanical parts are missing, broken or worn;

(10) There is high friction in the brake pedal and linkage or in the brake components;

(11) Brake operating levers are improperly positioned or misaligned;

(12) Brake pads or shoes are worn to within 2/32 inch at the thinnest point or 2/32 inch of any rivet; or

(13) Any wheel fails to indicate braking action.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Damnit. I suppose the scratches show mechanical damage other than wear, so I guess section 5 did me in. New rotor it is.

Lifer

I'd call that wear and tell the guy to GFH. That's considered wear on car rotors as far as far as all my experience has gone.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

The dude is pretty laid back on inspections... unless someone else is going to pass me for it I'd rather not drop another $30 to get failed again... he'll pass me without paying again if I fix it.

I wonder if I could lightsand those scratches out?

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I'd measure the thickness of the rotor at the thinnest part and see if it is still thick enough (the min. thickness should be stamped on the rotor) before buying new rotors. If he won't pass it, bring ot further south; ost of the guys around Raymond inspect bikes for $20. Another $20 is MUCH cheaper than a rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I'd measure the thickness of the rotor at the thinnest part and see if it is still thick enough (the min. thickness should be stamped on the rotor) before buying new rotors. If he won't pass it, bring ot further south; ost of the guys around Raymond inspect bikes for $20. Another $20 is MUCH cheaper than a rotor.
    It's def. within thickness specs, the bike has under 10K miles. It was the scratches from the old pads I got failed for. that and having "not much brake pad left". bastards.

I'd bring it elsewhere if I knew someone would look at it and tell me if they'd pass or fail it without charging me, I dont want to pay twice to fail on some stupid shit.

Wally Paige in Raymond, route 102 near the Chester Line, is a good guy. He would probably do good by ya.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 09-11-09 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks. Copied. Should I tell him you sent me? A name besides Stoinky I should mention?

btw... may want to edit that post now that I've got the info, no need to blow up the spot of those doing good by us.

Quote Originally Posted by "Dangerous" Dan K View Post
    Thanks. Copied. Should I tell him you sent me? A name besides Stoinky I should mention?

btw... may want to edit that post now that I've got the info, no need to blow up the spot of those doing good by us.

I don't know him well enough to bother with name dropping. He's just a decent guy who does fair inspections and does not nit-pick. I went through the same kind of brake crap (I failed for having 3 mm of pad left, they are only 6mm when new) a couple of years ago at another place and ended up at Wally's based on a recommendation from another rider.

Cool, thanks. I'm going to measure the pads and scuff/sand the rotor, it could use it anyway. If I still get shit (that one's paid for, may as well try) I'll go there.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

If my inspection guy ever got that close to the rotors I would be shocked. 5 mins in and out. They inspected my bike with an outdated registration too. Not that it matters cuz your in new hampshire, but for anyone else the place rhymes with ater hoston boater courts...