Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jammed oil filter - Supertech oil filters suck ass.

My f4i sucks ass.

So i finally get around to changing the oil in my f4i. I first try to remove the oil filter with the oil filter wrench that caps onto the filter, and somehow manage to completely strip the end of the oil filter. Fine. Then I pull the plastics so that I can get at the oil filter from the side with a grabbing wrench thing. I grab onto the oil filter and twist, and the thing crunches like a coke can. Just as I think to myself, hmmm maybe I'll just wait till next time to change the oil filter, the filter busts a leak and starts pissing oil all over the floor of my dad's garage while I scramble to grab newspapers and some sort of pan.

Now I have a partially crushed oil filter jammed on my stupid bike and it won't budge. I put the oil filter on myself 7000 miles ago and torqued it to spec, and i'm not very strong so I don't know wtf happened. Now what?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    WSMC #940

Everybody to the limit!

Use a pipe wrench.

Butt it up right against the oil pan, that's where the oil filter is strongest and least likely to deform.

You might need to remove the headers to get it in there.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to remove the headers and cut away the filter, then remove the end cap somehow. If the threaded center of the cap is extruded far enough, you may be able to get a pair of vice grips on the outside of the threads and spin it off. You have to be careful with the pressure on the vise grips or you can screw up your threads.

Last edited by Honclfibr; 12-28-04 at 03:29 AM.

Littering and........

Alternatively, you can spear the filter with something long and steel (keep your mind out of the gutter ), and turn it with the extra leverage. Makes a mess, but once you've ruined the filter anyway, it works well.

Good luck!

Lifer

or you could go to sears adn get a strap wrench. Like he said, grab it close to the pan.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

or jam a long screw drive into it...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Next time don't use a SuperTech oil filter, and change it more often than 7000 miles!

Never tighten it more than 3/4 a turn past snug.

They make filter pliers that Autozone sells. Looks like a pair of channel-locks with claw-like jaws. Worked wells for all my "someone was trying to prove how manly they are" filters. I think it's about $3.00 too, worthy investment. It'll probably take that thing off no problem.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I have a large pair of channel locks that I use for such occasions. I can lend them to you next time I head into school if you want....

No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

- Mike
    CBR 1000 RR
    CBR 600 F4

Originally posted by TheIglu
    Next time don't use a SuperTech oil filter, and change it more often than 7000 miles!

Never tighten it more than 3/4 a turn past snug.

They make filter pliers that Autozone sells. Looks like a pair of channel-locks with claw-like jaws. Worked wells for all my "someone was trying to prove how manly they are" filters. I think it's about $3.00 too, worthy investment. It'll probably take that thing off no problem.
    maybe maybe not....when all else fails..and it might..lol you can seriously drive something into it to get it off...I have had to do that.. you may not be able to get anything around it because it is already starting to crush...and the more pressure you put on it the more it will fold...

If you take a long screw driver and carefully bang it into the middle of the filter..as far away from the motor as you can....make sure it goes all the way through... you should be able to get it started this way..then take it off with your hands...

Putting new oil on the seal will prevent this from happening along with hand tightening it.....lol and doing more often then every 7000 mi may help as well..lol

good luck...

From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Littering and........

Originally posted by bigred875

If you take a long screw driver and carefully bang it into the middle of the filter..as far away from the motor as you can....make sure it goes all the way through... you should be able to get it started this way..then take it off with your hands...
    This way doesn't require the purchase of any new tools, and will take about 15 seconds.

Originally posted by hessogood
    or you could go to sears adn get a strap wrench. Like he said, grab it close to the pan.
    This is what i use all the time, it gets in tight places and never fails to work. I use it for my bikes and for my truck as mine is adjustable.
    Before i got the strap wrench, i tried the screwdriver method and all it did was make a mess as the oil poured out all over the headers when i tried to loosen the filter and the end opened up like a tin can

Yamaha

i got the best idea yet...

go put some short shorts and a low cut shirt on, stand near the road looking hot and helpless and get some horny guy to come do it with a cutting torch!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

I tried stabbing the filter with a long screwdriver and turning, but the screwdriver tore right through the filter so that only the base was left and that kinda sucked. I tried Brent's suggestion but it started raining Tried a few other things and finally found a huge fucking pipe wrench in the garage and that finally did it. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! What a pain in my ass that was. Hate my bike!

Mike -- hey, you're still going to school? aren't classes over?

WSMC #940

Littering and........

I will graciously take that horrible bike off your hands. Just let me know where to pick it up.

Originally posted by highsider
    I will graciously take that horrible bike off your hands. Just let me know where to pick it up.

It's in San Gabriel, CA. Just take Mass pike to I-80 W, stay on I-80 for about 1000 miles, then take the I-15 S to the 210 W, exit on San Gabriel Blvd, turn left on Huntington Dr, left again on Ferncroft, fourth house on your left, the bike is waiting in the garage with the key in the ignition. See you soon!

WSMC #940

WTF? it doesn't rain in cali?!?!?!

nice job mangling that thing!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

lol..it looks like you chewed it off hahaha

Lifer

next time try the right way and not the easy route. ...damnit, where's the winking guy?

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Mike -- hey, you're still going to school? aren't classes over?
    Just signing up for the spring session now.... gonna take some psychology courses this time.

Are you bringing your F4i back with you? I'll take a look at it for you if you want, I have a decent collection of spare F4/F4i parts.

- Mike
    CBR 1000 RR
    CBR 600 F4

If you're having this much trouble getting the filter off, you WAY overtightened it last time. You should FINGER tighten it 'til it's good & snug, NOT gripping & twisting it with all yer might. Make a mark at say, 3:00 on the tip of the filter. Turn it so that mark is now at 9:00 (1/2 turn). You're good to go!

Also-rub a little erl onto the NEW filter's O-ring before you install it too...

EDITED

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Originally posted by bigred875
    lol..it looks like you chewed it off hahaha
    Ya I was hungry yum yum.

last time i torqued it to 22 ft-lbs, like the manual said well that'll teach me to read the manual! i definitely did not remember to oil the o-ring last time though.

i only tightened it with my hands this time. it'll probably fall off the next time i crash

mike - not bringing the f4i back, but it's doing well now, thanks!! oh hey, can i buy some parts from you? i need the weight that goes into the bar end/grip. also need a passenger footpeg, rear brake pedal, hmm lemme see what else is broken ....

WSMC #940

I have the weight and passenger peg, and will have complete rearsets available soon, as soon as I get my Woodcraft ones.

Do you want me to mail them to you, or will you be in town again soon?

- Mike
    CBR 1000 RR
    CBR 600 F4

Originally posted by elaineo
    Ya I was hungry yum yum.

last time i torqued it to 22 ft-lbs, like the manual said well that'll teach me to read the manual! i definitely did not remember to oil the o-ring last time though.

i only tightened it with my hands this time. it'll probably fall off the next time i crash

mike - not bringing the f4i back, but it's doing well now, thanks!! oh hey, can i buy some parts from you? i need the weight that goes into the bar end/grip. also need a passenger footpeg, rear brake pedal, hmm lemme see what else is broken ....
    are you sure it said 22 FOOT pounds? thats a whole helluva lot of torque for an erl filter?

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

INCH pounds perhaps

- Mike
    CBR 1000 RR
    CBR 600 F4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast