Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

F'in Ducati Chain - Help?

Angry F'in Ducati Chain - Help?

I'm planning to head to PA and points south tomorrow morning, and have been busy so chain adjust had to wait until tonight. Its a'14 Mutlistrada, and I can't get the chain to tighten to save my life. Everything's loose, and I had no problems moving it clockwise to loosen it, but I can't get the damn thing to tighten. I can't say I enjoy what a PITA the chain adjustement is, but I've never had his problem before.

Any single-sided swingarm Duc gurus out there who can tell me what stupid mistake I'm making? Or it anyone's in the greater Lowell area and is willing to help me get it tightened, there's copious amounts of beer in it for you.

Dan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

Re: F'in Ducati Chain - Help?

I have no idea if this will help, but my vfr uses a pin scanner and after loosening it, I have to flip it and reattach it in the opposite direction to get it to pull counterclockwise and tighten the chain.

Best of luck, problems like this the night before a trip can be really stressfull

The pinch bolts at the back of the swingarm are loose?

The pinch bolts were loose - at first I made it worse by going clockwise (loosening the chain) - that proved it wasn't tight. After about a half dozen tries and a glass of Scotch, I tried loosening it a bit more then tightening it, and viola! All set. Thanks for the replies gents, now to pack and get some sleep.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

good travels

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

When you get a chance, take that hub out and clean it and the swingarm. If it's starting to bind it's just going to get worse over time.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wish I read this before leaving for work or I would have let you borrow my spanner. The hub on that gets seized up unless you move it around every once in a while / keep it clean, and can be a serious pain in the ass. I ended up buying a beefy spanner with multiple teeth specifically for my Multi because I went through this last year. The one in the tool kit is useless. Push come to shove and you feel like making a trip I live in Loudon, more than welcome to borrow it. I work in Manch until 5 or so though.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Just chiming in, same thing happened to me at VIR on my NC30/VFR400. The swing arm was full of small rubber bits from the track, and a bit of sand / grit. Everytime you accelerate any of that shite works its way back to the hub and gets in there.

I will absolutely be adding removing the hub, cleaning and re-greasing everything to my annual service protocol after losing half a day on track because of a seized hub.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    When you get a chance, take that hub out and clean it and the swingarm. If it's starting to bind it's just going to get worse over time.
    Thanks, that's a great suggestion. I'll clean it up when i get back.

Been a great trip so far - Catskills, Skyline Drive, BRP, & Cherohala & the Dragon today. First time I've been down here and they sure have some great roads!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Just chiming in, same thing happened to me at VIR on my NC30/VFR400. The swing arm was full of small rubber bits from the track, and a bit of sand / grit. Everytime you accelerate any of that shite works its way back to the hub and gets in there.

I will absolutely be adding removing the hub, cleaning and re-greasing everything to my annual service protocol after losing half a day on track because of a seized hub.

Yup. This youtube video does a pretty good job of showing just how much muck / etc. can work it's way between the hub and the Single-sided swingarm.

I cleaned out mine on my 1199 after watching this vid and there was a whole lot of junk in there.

Ducati 848 Swingarm Preventative Maintenance & Mod Research - YouTube

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

What size socket do I need to get the hub out? Do you know the torque values? One of the things that bugs me about the Multi is that I don't think there's a manual for it - there used to be one on CD, but I guess even that's not available anymore. It makes it difficult to work on the bike with confidence. I guess that's what Ducati wants.

Where can I find the spanner you bought? The one that came with the bike's toolkit is a piece of shite. I think it's made of aluminum foil. I expect to keep the Duc for a while so having one in my toolbox will come in handy.

I'll probably replace the chain and sprockets at the same time as cleaning the hub. Usually that's a straight-forward job, but is there anything about the single-sided swingarm that complicates it?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Wish I read this before leaving for work or I would have let you borrow my spanner. The hub on that gets seized up unless you move it around every once in a while / keep it clean, and can be a serious pain in the ass. I ended up buying a beefy spanner with multiple teeth specifically for my Multi because I went through this last year. The one in the tool kit is useless. Push come to shove and you feel like making a trip I live in Loudon, more than welcome to borrow it. I work in Manch until 5 or so though.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Motomfg has a nice spanner for $15. I just bought the rear nut socket from them for my Multistrada, great quality.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    What size socket do I need to get the hub out? Do you know the torque values? One of the things that bugs me about the Multi is that I don't think there's a manual for it - there used to be one on CD, but I guess even that's not available anymore. It makes it difficult to work on the bike with confidence. I guess that's what Ducati wants.

Where can I find the spanner you bought? The one that came with the bike's toolkit is a piece of shite. I think it's made of aluminum foil. I expect to keep the Duc for a while so having one in my toolbox will come in handy.

I'll probably replace the chain and sprockets at the same time as cleaning the hub. Usually that's a straight-forward job, but is there anything about the single-sided swingarm that complicates it?

I haven't actually removed the hub completely myself, but asked for it to be done when I had my 15k service done last November. I plan on doing it again personally after this riding season is over. I didn't see a need for replacing my sprockets when I did my chain last time around, but I don't think there should be anything too weird about doing so.

As for the spanner I bought... it was this one:
    CORSE DYNAMICS Eccentric Chain Tool: DUCATI Large Axle

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I expect to take the hub apart this weekend. Anyone know where I can find torque values?

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

Thanks for the info gentlemen. I expect to take the hub apart this weekend. Anyone know where I can find torque values?
    You want to find a service manual. Which the ducati forums probably have a link to in the sub-section specific to your bike. Super handy. If not, I'm sure one can be purchased from a ducati specific vendor.

Otherwise, tight till it gets easier, then back a half turn. Then make plans to never touch it again.

nedirtriders.com

I tried to find a service manual when I bought the bike. I think Ducati offered one on CD for a while, but I went Seacoast to order one and they said that it's not available. I checked ducati.ms and found threads saying the same thing. There was a link to a bootleg version online for a 2010. That should be close enough. eBay has some bootleg 2013 service manuals, but I don't know whether they're just the 2010 version or really the 2013 model. The 2010 should be good enough.

It does piss me off that Ducati doesn't offer a service manual for their bikes. I'm surprised they don't tell you to take it to the dealer when the gas tank needs to be refilled. But then again, with the defective gas gauge on the Mutli, the only way to know if you need gas is the old fashioned trip meter.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

I have a 748 and not sure its the same setup as your multi. I take you got the toque values from seacoast? I found the C-clip that holds the hub in to be a bigger issue if you don't have the right size pliers for the job.
    '

If you need a spanner I have one and I'm in Woburn.

Here's a service manual for monster 1200s and the adjustment direction should be the same.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AsEneqqYopvxkwtZ_zPPGp9roAM_

Look on page 89

Last edited by imstuner; 09-06-17 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MUZ720 View Post
    I have a 748 and not sure its the same setup as your multi. I take you got the toque values from seacoast? I found the C-clip that holds the hub in to be a bigger issue if you don't have the right size pliers for the job.
    '
    That's what the guy in the video was saying, that the C-clip was a pain and took a long time. I have a decent C-clip tool, but since it's a common complaint I'll just be patient getting the clip off and back on. I got the torque values from the online manual for the 2010.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

But then again, with the defective gas gauge on the Mutli, the only way to know if you need gas is the old fashioned trip meter.
    You having intermittent fuel level sensor issues with yours as well?

You having intermittent fuel level sensor issues with yours as well?
    Yes. It's a known defect, and apparently was covered under warranty if you caught it quickly enough. Mine didn't fail soon enough. It's a cheap plastic part, and the replacement is metal. I think that's considered a real fix, not just a patch. But it's expensive to replace, I think about $100 for the part and $100 for labor because it requires taking the tank off which I guess is a PITA. I'm not sure whether I'll drop off the bike, just the tank, or try replacing it myself. Depends on how lazy I get this weekend and how nice the weather is.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Yes. It's a known defect, and apparently was covered under warranty if you caught it quickly enough. Mine didn't fail soon enough. It's a cheap plastic part, and the replacement is metal. I think that's considered a real fix, not just a patch. But it's expensive to replace, I think about $100 for the part and $100 for labor because it requires taking the tank off which I guess is a PITA. I'm not sure whether I'll drop off the bike, just the tank, or try replacing it myself. Depends on how lazy I get this weekend and how nice the weather is.
    Yea I'm debating on what to do with mine as well. After 2.5 seasons it finally started failing this spring, then started working normally again. On the way back from NY this past weekend it tripped up again. I do need fork seals replaced, I'll probably just have Eric @ Clubhouse take care of both once the season winds down.

Yea I'm debating on what to do with mine as well. After 2.5 seasons it finally started failing this spring, then started working normally again. On the way back from NY this past weekend it tripped up again. I do need fork seals replaced, I'll probably just have Eric @ Clubhouse take care of both once the season winds down.
    Mine worked for about a half year (I bought it used), then failed once in a while, but after a year or so it worked its way up to almost all of the time. Now it only occasionally 'works' but usually display a known bad value (i.e. all the bars when I'm 75 or 100 miles into a tank). It looks like I was wrong about the replacement being a fix. I checked the forum and it looks like they're on Rev E of the replacement and still getting failures. Now I'm not sure I'll replace it with some kind on warranty on it (probably not possible).

It can be replaced with a resistor (about 22 kOhm) to keep the engine light and warning off and the gauge bars from flashing. A few people have disassembled the unit and re-soldered everything. Not sure that provided a long-term fix or not. Maybe Rev F will work.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal