Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

lacing a wheel

lacing a wheel

so i have an extra set of wheels for my xr. i want to take the spokes and hub out to paint the rim black then relace with new spokes since these are rusty. after i get it relaced how do i make sure the offsets and rim is true? is there somewhere i can bring it to? also anyone have any step by step instructions on how to lace a wheel, id like to learn how to do it rather then send them out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

lacing a wheel

The spokes will determine the offset - so if they are in the right place, the wheel will be right. There are probably 4 different spokes in the wheel (left inside, left outside, right inside, and right outside). Replacing one or two spokes is no problem. Relacing an entire wheel can be a bitch. Luckily this is a spare one, so the bike won't be down while you're walking around the yard cursing...

Take pictures (a lot of them) before you take the wheel apart. Carefully take one of each spoke type out, note the position and orientation with the hub and rim, and label the spoke for reference later. Some people just cut all the remaining spokes out, I like to take them out carefully so if I need them later I have them.

After cleaning and painting take blue painters tape and put a strip of it on each side of the rim, and pieces on the hub. This allows you to write the type of spoke that goes in the hole, and protects the new paint. It can get confusing fast...

Some people put all the spokes in the hub before putting the rim on, I put a few of them on, and then lace the wheel.

I like to use the axle and a bench vise - put the axle in so it lays just a little out of horizontal (pointing up), slide the hub onto it, put a few of each spoke in, feed them into the rim and put the nipples on by only a few threads. Go around the rim hole by hole and put the right spoke in the right holes (they're in a pattern, you'll see it) with all the nipples loose. When it is all laced up - if you have never trued a wheel - take it to someone and watch them if you can. Either a local small mechanic or bicycle shop will be your best bets for being able to go in the back and talk to the guys. Good Luck...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

lacing a wheel

What size XR? If it's a pitbike, i'd say have at it... if it's a 650R I wouldn't do it yourself. It's certainly not the easiest job to perform correctly and if done incorrectly the wheel could detension and fail. That, of course would be ugly.

Having said that, I've never really seen an online tutorial for moto wheels... here's a pretty good one on bicycle wheels... the concept is more or less the same.

Wheel building

Truing should be relatively easy.. just make sure your offset is correct before you start truing. A proper truing stand would really help here, but it's not essential.

lacing a wheel

thanks ss, the 4 types of spokes you speak of (left inside, left outside, right inside, and right outside) will those only fit in the correct holes in the rim and hub or will they fit anywhere?

i was thinking of putting a piece of tape on each spoke and then numbering them. this way i know which spoke goes after the next one? will that make it easier to re assemble or am i still going to be cursing till next week. always wanted to do it on my bicycle just never had an extra rim.

also how tight are the spokes supposed to be, i think i remember reading that the tightness will determine the "trueing" of the the wheel? if thats the case should i just thread them all a bit over hand tight and let whoever is trueing it tighten everything?

lacing a wheel

Quote Originally Posted by trickphoto View Post
    What size XR? If it's a pitbike, i'd say have at it... if it's a 650R I wouldn't do it yourself. It's certainly not the easiest job to perform correctly and if done incorrectly the wheel could detension and fail. That, of course would be ugly.

Having said that, I've never really seen an online tutorial for moto wheels... here's a pretty good one on bicycle wheels... the concept is more or less the same.

Wheel building

Truing should be relatively easy.. just make sure your offset is correct before you start truing. A proper truing stand would really help here, but it's not essential.
    its an xr200r. not really a pit bike, i think the front is 21 inches and the rear 18, dont remember. i was just going to paint, lace and then have someone true it up as i dont have a stand.

where do you guys have it done? i live on the south shore.

lacing a wheel

If you number them all I bet you'll be glad you did. It's likely that the two sides of the hub have different length spokes. This is what will give you your offset. So, if you were to mix them up you could end up with some too short and some too long. If the offset is off the rim won't be centered over the hub, bike won't track straight, etc...

I've seen people zip-tie the spokes together where they cross to hold the lacing in place, de-tension the wheel and remove the rim. This would help get it apart and back together relatively easily, but it's the final truing and tensioning that's the tricky part. There's a lot of "feel" involved. I've seen spoke torque wrenches, but have never used one.

Lifer

lacing a wheel

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    thanks ss, the 4 types of spokes you speak of (left inside, left outside, right inside, and right outside) will those only fit in the correct holes in the rim and hub or will they fit anywhere?

i was thinking of putting a piece of tape on each spoke and then numbering them. this way i know which spoke goes after the next one? will that make it easier to re assemble or am i still going to be cursing till next week. always wanted to do it on my bicycle just never had an extra rim.

also how tight are the spokes supposed to be, i think i remember reading that the tightness will determine the "trueing" of the the wheel? if thats the case should i just thread them all a bit over hand tight and let whoever is trueing it tighten everything?

You said you would be buying new spokes since they were rusty - labeling all of the old ones would be a waste of time if that was the case.

Will the spokes fit in the wrong hole? More then likely... They won't line up in the hub or the rim though - thus the frustration... If you show up with the spokes all installed, and the nipples on finger tight (a phillips screwdriver will help you spin the nipples down) the person doing the truing will take it from there. When they are at the right tension you can tap them in the center with a small wrench and they will ring at a consistant tone. After you get the rim back - check it after a few hours of riding a few times.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

lacing a wheel

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    You said you would be buying new spokes since they were rusty - labeling all of the old ones would be a waste of time if that was the case.

Will the spokes fit in the wrong hole? More then likely... They won't line up in the hub or the rim though - thus the frustration... If you show up with the spokes all installed, and the nipples on finger tight (a phillips screwdriver will help you spin the nipples down) the person doing the truing will take it from there. When they are at the right tension you can tap them in the center with a small wrench and they will ring at a consistant tone. After you get the rim back - check it after a few hours of riding a few times.
    not positive on buying new spokes yet, havnt throughly inspected them yet, if its just some dirt and a bit of surface rust ill just clean them up. thanks for everyones help, guess ill dig into it this weekend, whats the worse that could happen

Posting Freak

lacing a wheel

haven't laced a wheel since MMI and probably couldn't remember how.
    It's a bitch, I do remember that much

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

lacing a wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    haven't laced a wheel since MMI and probably couldn't remember how.
    It's a bitch, I do remember that much
    ditto. on that whole statement. id try it though

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

lacing a wheel

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    ditto. on that whole statement. id try it though
    You went to MMI and needed me to help you change a tire on a fuckin minibike?

WTF over???

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Lifer

lacing a wheel

he also told me my bike didn't have an oil cooler and the part I pointed out to him was 'I don't know what, but something else'

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

lacing a wheel

hey when i went through the 600RR didnt exist yet : and i dont like changing tires by hand. i didnt say i couldnt do it. i did it at Ftrains house. i just dont like to and if someone is better at it and willing then they can do it.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports