Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Leaky radiator

Leaky radiator

The radiator on my old K100 started leaking this weekend. I saw an old thread (2012?) on the topic but that didn't give me much confidence in any of the shops mentioned. Does anyone have experience with a local (Lowell/Nashua) area shop to get it fixed? I can get a new Chinese replica for <$200 but won't get it for months and quality is unknown. So repairing it seems to be the better option.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Re: Leaky radiator

Can't speak for locals, but I did send my leaking/bent TL1000S radiator to Myler's Radiators out in Utah. They fixed and straightened it for ~$75, painted it and sent it back within about 2 weeks. Very reasonable cost and it never leaked again.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 09-14-21 at 07:11 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lowell Auto Radiator Service Inc

Just cut out the fins around the leak, jb weld, done.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePackage View Post
    Lowell Auto Radiator Service Inc
    That's where I took it. Seems like a good, honest guy. He said there are two likely causes of the leak, one pretty easy to fix & the other unfixable because of the way it was made. I'm also looking at used and new Chinese radiators. Not sure which is the bigger risk.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Can't speak for locals, but I did send my leaking/bent TL1000S radiator to Myler's Radiators out in Utah. They fixed and straightened it for ~$75, painted it and sent it back within about 2 weeks. Very reasonable cost and it never leaked again.
    Similar experience here. Had a damaged radiator on my DL650. Sent it out and had it perfectly repaired and pressure tested in similar turn-around. My log shows it cost me $78.

rides bikes

Sounds like you have it figured out, but Rogers Auto Radiator in Medford is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post

Update -

I took my radiator to Lowell Auto Radiator Service. Even though it wasn't fixable, I highly recommend him for radiator repairs.

When he first looked at it, he said it probably wasn't fixable because of the unusual way it's put together. He tried a fix and it held for about 20 minutes into the test but then failed.

I ordered a Chinese knockoff ($185 Vs. $850 for a new OEM one). I went that direction mostly because he advised that a used one ($150-$200) would be old and worn and just as likely to fail as mine. It arrived this week, and looks identical except the thermostat is held on by a screw-on cap instead of the stock bolt-on. Fortunately, I took it to Lowell Radiator to be tested before installing it. The cap leaked. A lot. Instead of an o-ring, it shipped with a thin gasket which doesn't work. We spent about an hour trying a few things and it got better but not good enough.

I've ordered a variety of o-rings. The manufacturer says a 51mmx3mm should work so I got that and adjacent sized o-rings in case it wasn't quite right. The manufacturer also suggested plumbing tape on the threads, which seems like a good idea (temp range up to 250C and resistant to petrochemicals). I'd like to hear if anyone thinks that's a dumb idea and why.

The o-rings should arrive tomorrow so I'll go back and test it again. Hopefully between the o-rings and the tape I'll get a good reliable seal.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    - Blaise Pascal

Shit. I got a few of rings and one of them did a decent job sealing the thermostat cover. But that just exposed a tubes to leak. It might be fixable (on a brand-new radiator), but radiator guy says if it leaks out of the box what are the odds of not having more leaks a few months from now?
    So, contacting the vendor tonight to see what the options are.

DanG
    - Blaise Pascal