Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Small Problem, Major Stress - Please Help!!!

Small Problem, Major Stress - Please Help!!!

Ok, so if you saw my other thread, my bike has been running like shit - which is really killing me. It's my first bike, I had it for a month, rode about 800 miles with no problems, and had only just begun to learn how to really ride it before the engine started acting up.

That being said, since it was running poorly, I tried to start a carb cleaning tonight. I almost got the carbs completely off the bike, but then realized I needed to release the throttle cable to get them off. I took one look at the screw holding the throttle cable bracket to the carbs and realized the screw was 95% stripped by the previous owner. Here's a picture of the stripped screw:

Small Problem, Major Stress - Please Help!!!-stripped-jpg

So first I tried a large phillips head - and just stripped it slightly more. Then I tried a wrench - nothing (the screw has curved edges). Finally, I tried a GrabIt Pro drillbit (stipped screw tool). Big mistake. The bit sunk into the screw like butter and just spun - the screw is fucked.

Anyways, I need help getting this fucking throttle body bracket off the carbs so i can get the cable off of the carbs and the carbs out of the bike to clean them. I honestly have no idea what to do with this stripped screw. Maybe grind the rounded edges off of the screw and try wrenching it off?

The other thing is, I've been meaning to work on this for the past week+, but my schedule has been crazy, so tonight was the first chance I had. And after tonight, my only real window of opportunity to do this is tomorrow before noon or Sunday evening - otherwise It'll probably have to wait another week or more.

If anyone can come by and help me tomorrow morning (or Sunday afternoon), I will pay you: cash (within reason), food, booze, sexual favors (if you're a lady), you name it.

This is really stressing me out - I bought the bike to learn how to ride, not to learn how to remove stripped screws.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by iloveboobs; 06-01-12 at 09:46 PM.

Re: Small Problem, Major Stress - Please Help!!!

Why don't you simply unbolt the handlebars. Remove the throttle assembly and clean the carbs with the cable attached.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Plenty of options, none really good:-)

If you have a dremell or even a hacksaw you can try making the Phillips head screw into a flat head screw and try using a flat head screwdriver to remove it.

From the pic you posted, you might also try a larger screw extractor. It's hard to tell, but from what I could see in the image screw extraction still has a chance.

Failing those options grinding off edges of the head are an option,but I'd be more likely to try either channel locks or vice grips rather than a wrench.

If all of those fail, last option would be to simply grind or drill the entire head off. This would allow you to get the damn thing out. Problem with this is now you have the entire thread stuck in with no simple way to get it out, and you can damage the threads in getting it out. Depending on whether or not the thing is "torked" on or there is an issue with the threads being stuck might lead to different approaches.

If it's something in the threads, use some spray penetrant. Wait for a bit. Use some more. Hell, use some as step 1 regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Depending on whether or not the thing is "torked" on or there is an issue with the threads being stuck might lead to different approaches.

If it's something in the threads, use some spray penetrant. Wait for a bit. Use some more. Hell, use some as step 1 regardless.
    Soft screw + aluminum carb body = corroded threads. Try penetrant spray.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Lifer

If it's buttery soft, vice grip the shit out of it. First impressions count, so make sure you clamp it wiccchhhhhid tight. Filing some flat spots on each side might not hurt.

Don't forget to use PBBlaster on it first, and if its in a safe area without much rubber or fuel near by, heat it with a torch a little. Torching helps break stuff free. I'd be really surprised if it needed torching, but it doesn't really hurt either as long as you're aware of your surroundings.

nedirtriders.com

Next time, use a JIS screwdriver ... If it looks like a Phillips screw BUT has a dot stamped on the side, it's a JIS screw. Problem is not the metal, it's the wrong tool being used.

Google JIS ... every "Phillips" screw on the bike is JIS.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    Next time, use a JIS screwdriver ... If it looks like a Phillips screw BUT has a dot stamped on the side, it's a JIS screw. Problem is not the metal, it's the wrong tool being used.

Google JIS ... every "Phillips" screw on the bike is JIS.
    No arguments with what you said, but most of us don't even have a JIS driver :-(

No arguments, we should.

A better option IMO is if everybody just goes to Robertson head's, but I don't think I'm gonna win that battle.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I got the carbs off. Mods, feel free to edit the thread title as "resolved".

Small Problem, Major Stress - Please Help!!!-carbs-jpg

Rambunctous, I went with your idea and just removed the throttle assembly.

Small Problem, Major Stress - Please Help!!!-throttle-assembly-1-jpg

Small Problem, Major Stress - Please Help!!!-throttle-assembly-2-jpg

It took all of maybe 5 minutes. I guess taking off the throttle assembly (instead of unscrewing the throttle cable bracket) every time I want to clean my carbs isn't the worst thing in the world - like I said, it took maybe 5 minutes, and that is because I had no idea what I was doing.

Now the real fun begins. I'm sure I'll be posting another thread in the next day or two with questions about carb cleaning and/or Ninja reassembly.

Last edited by iloveboobs; 06-02-12 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    No arguments with what you said, but most of us don't even have a JIS driver :-(

No arguments, we should.

A better option IMO is if everybody just goes to Robertson head's, but I don't think I'm gonna win that battle.
    Bike toolkit has JIS screwdriver.

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    Bike toolkit has JIS screwdriver.
    Good call!

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

While it's off, replace the screw, make life easier for yourself next time around!!

just curious, couldn't you have removed the throttle cables from the carb housing itself by releasing the nuts and pulling the cables off? all the bikes i've removed carbs from the throttle cables were one of the first things i removed without taking the bracket out?

Then again, i don't know what bike you're on, but the other bikes i've removed carbs from they came off without having to remove the bracket, just loosening the cables and slipping them out

Can't you just cut a slot in the screw using a dremel? Although with gas present in the carbs that might not be the best idea...

However, it worked great on some of the screws for my bike. While you're in there replace the phillips head hardware with allen head stuff. You'll thank yourself the next time you need to clean your carbs.

I also agree with FZR. I never touched the bracket. Always loosened the cables and removed them. Every service manual I've owned has instructed to do it that way. If the screws on the carb absolutely don't have to be touched then it is best to leave them alone.

removing stripped screws is part of learning how to ride a motorcycle.

Last edited by hot karl; 06-02-12 at 02:17 PM.

Personally every time I work on a bike with philips fasteners I use an impact driver. Cheap tool and doesn't strip bolts.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...psid=21x600235

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!