Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment

So my 2000 GSXR 750 has the famous "GSXR CCT tick". It sounds exactly like this (this is not my bike):

I've decided to replace the stock hydraulic unit with an APE manual CCT. I'm going to block off the oil passage on the block with a stainless steel bolt and some black RTV.

Now the question is how do I go about adjusting the manual CCT so I don't over tighten it? I've heard that you should install it while the motor is at TDC, then rotate the rear wheel with the bike in gear, and then finger tighten the CCT and start it up and listen, and then make adjustments from there. I know a lot of you racers run manual CCT's so how do you guys go about adjusting yours? Thanks for the help.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Adjustment

I just installed one in our 97 CBR90RR. I did as you mentioned and it ended up being way too loose once I started the bike. I then adjusted it by ear until the noise was mostly gone at idle.

Seems to be working nicely now. You have to watch them though, vibration may make the lock nut back out.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

MCCT isn't really that hard to do.

I took the valve covers off when I did mine to get a feel for how tight the cam chain was with the automatic one. Adjusted initially to about there, then while running adjusted some more... It's a combination of tension / engine sounds when you have it "right".

The real key is to make sure that there isn't any engine rotation when there is no tension on the cam chain. It can jump and then you have a bit of a mess.

Having done one, I would not pull the valve covers and carbs to do another one, but it did give me piece of mind on the first one.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

So I adjusted the CCT per APE's instructions while it was cold. Took the bike for a ride and as soon as it warmed up the cam chain is whining. I brought it home, immediately adjusted it again. I just kept backing it off little by little until there were no whirring noises. However the cam chain definitely is a louder than before.

TLDR: Too tight it whirrs when hot, too loose it clicks at idle, having trouble finding a happy medium.

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    So I adjusted the CCT per APE's instructions while it was cold. Took the bike for a ride and as soon as it warmed up the cam chain is whining. I brought it home, immediately adjusted it again. I just kept backing it off little by little until there were no whirring noises. However the cam chain definitely is a louder than before.

TLDR: Too tight it whirrs when hot, too loose it clicks at idle, having trouble finding a happy medium.
    Ive been thinking of going with an ape manual chain tensioner on my r1 as its beginning to tick at 15k. I saw a video how to and it didnt look complicated. It certainly looks more like a "feel" type of adjustment rather than a science.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    Ive been thinking of going with an ape manual chain tensioner on my r1 as its beginning to tick at 15k. I saw a video how to and it didnt look complicated. It certainly looks more like a "feel" type of adjustment rather than a science.
    Feel and sound.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I think I got it just right this time - no rattle, no whine. Hopefully it stays quiet for a while now.