Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Metal Rescue rust remover now available at Home Depot

Metal Rescue rust remover now available at Home Depot

I had ordered a jug of this stuff online to de-rust the inside of the tank on an '81 CM400. It's supposed to be safe for skin and for the environment, and I can vouch for the fact that it didn't damage paint or irritate my hands. I had it in for ~8 hours and it seemed to work pretty well. That's the only time I've used it, though, so I won't get too enthusiastic about its effectiveness until I've tried it on some other stuff. Anyone know any similar products? Anyway you can buy it in certain Home Depots now instead of shipping it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Metal Rescue rust remover now available at Home Depot

I have been killing myself over how to clean my tank, looking at all the options. I got my bike from a friend who let it sit during the winter inside.
    There is only a layer of rust on the bottom and the tank still has old gas in it so its not dry. I'm looking for a way to get the rust off the bottom but not have to do a full clean/seal on the tank because its in pretty good condition.
    Any thoughts?

Also, StrayNut did you put any sort of sealer coat after using Metal Rescue?
    Anyone else use it before?

Lifer

...using a battery charger, washing soda and a bit of wire.
    What is "washing soda"?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by looshin View Post
    Also, StrayNut did you put any sort of sealer coat after using Metal Rescue?
    Anyone else use it before?
    I've used POR-15 in the past. Worked great for me, and many others. However... I have read some things on ADVrider that after 8-10 years, the even with this sealing, the craptastic evil ethanol in gas is making it break away and blister.

I've used this stuff before with good results.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallo...ver-96431.html

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    What is "washing soda"?
    Its in the laundry aisle at the supermarket. I have used it with detergent so I only have to use about 1/3 of the amount of detergent I usually use. Its in a powder form.

I think Metal Rescue is pretty similar to EvapoRust. I didn't try to use the electrolysis method because of laziness and a slight suspicion I might electrocute myself, but it seems like a cheap and effective option... looshin, I did not use a sealer coat. I'm not sure how it's held up since then because I sold it.

I use Duro Extend Rust Converter, available in big box paint departments. I't's Formic Acid. Naval Jelly is similar.

The old school solution was Coca Cola. It's pretty acidic.

Last edited by Garandman; 06-16-12 at 01:30 AM.

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

What is "washing soda"?
    The electrolisis is the safest way for the tank. It only removes rust.
    The washing soda makes the water a better conducter.
    I just saw a guys setup the other day, he hd found an old road sign, a rubbermaid garbage can, 6 pieces of #2 rebar wired together with copper wire for the pos elctrodes.
    Sign was the neg, an old battery and a battery charger. If you have an older charger or manual charger you don't need a battery in line. He had a smart charger and needed a dead battery to keep charger in charge mode.
    The rust basicaly jumps off the sign or gas tank and collects on the rebar.
    They are useing this same methode to save the monitor ( first type of submarine boat, used in cival war ) in a museum down south , I think S. Carolina ,( not positive)
    Anyway don't do this in an inclosed area like a garage. It does make dangerous fumes of some sort. I found an old c-clamp while rototilling my garden , I'm gonna try this to get it back to life. Its a ball of rust.

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

What is "washing soda"?
    Sodium Carbonate, AKA Soda Ash. It's used as a water softener among many other uses. It's an electrolyte so that's probably why it's used as part of the process.

I found this thread while checking my websites. I do carry a chelant type rust remover concentrate so I wanted to add a few facts about similar chelant rust removers such as metal rescue, evapo-rust, safest rust remover and many others. They are all essentially the same and will preform similarly. chelant chemistry is used in medicine for removal of heavy metals from the bloodstream and work very well for rust removal. There are concentrated chelant type rust removers that you mix with water and are very cost effective. Someone posted a link for harbor freight evapo-rust that costs $29.99 plus shipping, but all you get is one gallon. Concentrated chelant type rust removers are available in 1 gallon size that makes 10 gallons of ready-to-use rust remover when mixed with water; all 10 gallons the same strength as the pre-mixed types. So do your homework and look beyond the 'over the counter' rust removers.

Electrolysis certainly has its place in rust removal, but set-up likely takes more time and babysitting. Also consider if you have a tank or fender you want to take a bit of rust off, but is has a chrome part on it. If you stick the chrome in there guess what happens? Chelant based removers will not affect chrome. They will only attack lead, and zinc galvanization. So don't use a galvanized washtub to soak parts. Then again zinc is a sacrificial metal and also no good for electrolysis.....

After whatever removal process you use, I would use MM oil to coat the inside for storage before use then use the recommended amount per tankful to prevent rust.

The hardest part seems to be removal of the varnish prior to rust removal. If there are any ideas on how to proceed, please share them. I would like to find an effective non hazardous chemical to use in my Triumph (car) gas tank and Triumph Bonneville my brother is restoring to remove varnish.

For the varnish REAL Gumout in the gal can at most automotive stores

Oxalic acid dissolves rust but not metal, can be found in wood deck brightners

I would hate to be the 1st but Urethane based paint should be immune to Gas and ethanol

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    For the varnish REAL Gumout in the gal can at most automotive stores

Oxalic acid dissolves rust but not metal, can be found in wood deck brightners

I would hate to be the 1st but Urethane based paint should be immune to Gas and ethanol
    My painter uses moisture cure urethanes for coating tanks. He also uses some Metal Rescue occasionally.

He's done many tanks for me using those products and I've never had a failure after several years in service.

ive used lemon juice to clean my carbs. it does a good job on the varnish and I'm sure that it attacks rust too.