Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Exhaust for ninja 650r

Exhaust for ninja 650r

I just got an 06 ninja 650r it's too quiet for my liking can barely hear the bike if you're in a car next to it. It has an under engine exhaust with a muffler. There are a few slip ons available but I'm not sure I like the under engine exhaust because it's pretty warm when sitting in traffic. Does anyone know a decent slip on that might re-direct the hot air or any place that does custom exhausts that could turn it into an undertail exhaust if I put fender eliminator on it. The bike is completely stock if that helps and I live Lynn, MA I don't mind traveling. Thanks in advance to anyone with any suggestions because I'm lost.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Exhaust for ninja 650r

your sitting on top of a 200 degree motor its gonna be warm . . . .

Your probably wearing shorts to feel it to?

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

I know the engine is hot and I'm probably stupid for wearing shorts but the exhaust on the 650r exits right behind my leg do sitting still it's bouncing off the ground heating me up. I can live with being warm when sitting still but I'm not sure I can live with the car next to me being barely able to hear me because if I'm in their blind spot and they don't hear me I'm screwed so I try to stay out of them but sometimes it's unavoidable. I know it's a smaller parallel twin and it's not going to sound as loud as some other bikes but there has to be something better than what comes stock on it.

Drill some holes in it.

Or muzzy. Mark the smurf's 650r sounded pretty grizzly with that.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Put a Two Bros. Carbon fiber can and you will have less heat and some more noise.
    $565 retail.
    PM. me for a price quote delivered in MA.

See if Mr. DuncanMoto can get you a Jardine GP-1 Exhaust. I had one on my 650r, and loved it, nice and loud, comes with a silencer, and was pretty affordable, less than $300 if i remember right. I also got a power commander and BMC air filter to complete the setup. Louder than my friends cruisers for the most part. Packing doesn't seem to last too long, but easy to repack.
    -bryan

We can get the Jardine too, although currently sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger157 View Post
    Talk to E30addict!

I've always like the Muzzy on that bike when heard in person.

2 Brothers is loud as hell.

Just punch holes in it.

It's gonnna be hot no matter what. Even in leather, when stuck in traffic, you roast on the right side. You're crazy to ride in just shorts.

Last edited by e30addict; 09-05-10 at 04:19 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

What mark said, those bikes just plain get hot when your sitting. Its probably not exhaust but engine heat your feeling. That said there is an undertail out there, if that's what you want. But your better of sticking with the under bike slip on for weight distribution and not needing to tune.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 10-03-10 at 06:44 PM.

+1 on the puch a bunch a holes in the thing

Loud pipes save lives!!!

Should of got a Busa... Wait, What?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

I know what you mean about that under body muffler is a real hot foot and ankle for me once the bike warms up. But I agree that most of it comes from the engine area where the exhaust is pressure hits the muffler. I own an 09 650 ninja, but usually my gf rides that one. Doesn't bother my little gf at 4'11". It obviously has to do with your fit on the bike. I wouldn't change the weight configuration since it rides so nice now. Hint: I'd put lcd blinker lights on my mirrors for more visibility and keep my hearing from being impaired.

Yamaha lover

Huh, must've missed this thread the first time around. Sometimes I really miss that bike...then I remember what I replaced it with, and grin smugly.

I listened to quite a few of the 650R aftermarket exhaust options before I settled on the Muzzy full system. It's hands down one of the best sounding exhausts on a motorcycle, nevermind the 650R. It also happens to be very loud...you will get noticed, even when you don't want to.

As far as heat, most of the aftermarket options deflect the airflow at a more rearward angle than the stock muffler. FWIW, I never noticed any heat issues, but then again I always rode in pants, usually boots too. If it's really an issue, a CF pipe might help, but I've only seen two options, the most "popular" being the Two Bros...and it's total garbage (sorry Ted). About 90% of the 650R owners I know that bought the Two Bros CF had it either completely fall apart on the bike, or it needed to be repacked every two months. It just wasn't well made for that particular "underslung" application. Perhaps they've improved it since the 1st gen., but it definitely used to be the worst option. The other CF pipe is made by Hindle, but I don't know anyone that ever bought it, so I have no idea what it's like.

Again, I never had any major issues with heat from the full Muzzy system, but if you do, I'd pick up a PCIII and get a remap, could be a fueling issue.

One last thing, if you haven't already, check this site out: http://www.blueridgeperformance.net/index.html
    Gary from BRP races a 650R and stocks almost every aftermarket part for it...dude knows his shit.